close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lb test line for Baitcasters.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba bass bigfoot, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

i use 15lb test line and cast well with it and like it. but should i try going up to 25lb test line. or just keep it at what i like. i have never tried anything more than 15 on Casting.

thanks. just asking.

2. Ultralight

Ultralight Crupi Wannabe

Your answer depends on many factors. What are you fishing for? Will the rig be used primarily for pitching into heavy cover?

I primarily fish rivers and target smallmouth. I prefer 10-12 pound test. 25 would be way more than I need and I feel like I may lose action on my baits, and I prefer my line diameter to be as small as I can have.

Cat and muskie fishermen may go to the higher class. Some guys that bass fish heavy rods into heavy cover will use 50#...

Based on your posts and fishing reports, I think you could actually downsize to 10 or 12...

Why did you consider increasing your pound test instead of decreasing?

3. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Bubba, from the style of fishing that you seem to do the most I think that 12 to 15lb monofilament will do just fine.

I know you like to throw a worm a lot. You may want to experiment with Fluorocarbon when using the worm. It will help it sink faster and has a little less stretch on your hooksets. P-Line is a great brand, but a little pricey.

4. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

i will stay with 15. just wanted to hear what you guys thought. im with you Ultra about action and all that.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

agreed.10 to 15/17# is plenty for most applications except heavy cover situations.
    this is based,as mike said, on the type fishing you seem to do.

6. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

I use 17lb Bass Pro shop tournament mono on my Abu 5001 and can like it. If im using smaller lures I just have to use my spinning rods.

7. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF