Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i use 15lb test line and cast well with it and like it. but should i try going up to 25lb test line. or just keep it at what i like. i have never tried anything more than 15 on Casting.

thanks. just asking.

·
Crupi Wannabe
160 Posts
Your answer depends on many factors. What are you fishing for? Will the rig be used primarily for pitching into heavy cover?

I primarily fish rivers and target smallmouth. I prefer 10-12 pound test. 25 would be way more than I need and I feel like I may lose action on my baits, and I prefer my line diameter to be as small as I can have.

Cat and muskie fishermen may go to the higher class. Some guys that bass fish heavy rods into heavy cover will use 50#...

Based on your posts and fishing reports, I think you could actually downsize to 10 or 12...

Why did you consider increasing your pound test instead of decreasing?

i use 15lb test line and cast well with it and like it. but should i try going up to 25lb test line. or just keep it at what i like. i have never tried anything more than 15 on Casting.

thanks. just asking.

·
Ohio Hawg Hunter
2,638 Posts
Bubba, from the style of fishing that you seem to do the most I think that 12 to 15lb monofilament will do just fine.

I know you like to throw a worm a lot. You may want to experiment with Fluorocarbon when using the worm. It will help it sink faster and has a little less stretch on your hooksets. P-Line is a great brand, but a little pricey.

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will stay with 15. just wanted to hear what you guys thought. im with you Ultra about action and all that.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
agreed.10 to 15/17# is plenty for most applications except heavy cover situations.
this is based,as mike said, on the type fishing you seem to do.

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
I use 17lb Bass Pro shop tournament mono on my Abu 5001 and can like it. If im using smaller lures I just have to use my spinning rods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts