close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lawnmower Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by olwhitee, Sep 30, 2005.

1. My wife just put 2 cycle in my push mower, will this hurt the engine of my mower if I run it? If so, how do I drain the fuel?

Thanks.

2. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

It would be a good idea to drain it, you could run it out if it's a small amout. It will smoke alot, but I'd drain it anyways. You should see a tube coming out from the bottom of the gas tank with a clamp on it. Loosen the the clamp and pull the hose off. Drain it, fill it and mow!!!

3. Dont try to start it. Get away from all ignition sources, even if you have to go to the middle of your yard. With most mowers, there is not a drain valve for the fuel, so i am thinking you must tip the mower and pour the fuel back into the container from which it came. If you are uncomfortable with this, contact someone qualified. Once the mower is empty, upright it and fill it with fresh gas. Wait a few minutes till the oil settles back down to the bottom of the oil pan. Then try to start it. It will probably smoke a little for the remainder of the tank, but should run just fine.

4. ParmaBass

I've seen this happen probably 100 times. You're not going to blow up! It's mixed gas in the gas tank, not a lit fuse. Geez...........CALL HAZ-MAT, FIRE STATION, PARAMEDICS, BOMB SQUAD......LOL mix gas in the gas tank is not gonna do anything harmful to you or your mower, drain it and go on with your mowing. I heard that snakes get rid of bears is this true????

5. Thanks guys, I wasnt sure if there was a drain or not. I talked my wife into mowing finally and this is what I get. Would of been better off doing it myself,

I think it might of been a planned attack if you know what I mean....lol

6. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

LOL Hey, it will do wonders for gettin' rid of those pesky skeeters! :D Drain it, save it for yer weed eater. :) Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  7. For years I have written instructions on how to do certain things. I try to err on the safe side always. You just never know who you are giving instructions to. Not all people have comon sense about these things, even the volatility of gasoline. People are hurt/killed on a daily basis doing things they have no business doing. If olwhitee was familiar and comfortable with what he was doing, he wouldn't have asked.

8. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I'd just run it through and change the spark plug afterwards. It won't be that bad for the motor in the whole scheme of things. Now, you definitely do not want to but 4 cycle gas in a 2-stroke. Kiss that mota goodbye!

9. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

My wife done this a couple years ago while I was at work, she thought she would do me a favore and cut the grass..She put in a whole tank and ran it completly dry while mowing..She told me it was smoking when I got homen that is how I knew what she did...The mower is still running fine today!

10. Glad to hear I am not alone....lol

Thanks again guys.

11. Its only gonna smoke and help lubricate! I would replace the spark plug when it all out. I would just run it out! Ive done it alot. Glenn

12. ParmaBass

For years I've done this as a proffesion, even went to The Ohio State University to get a degree in a very similar field. So I chimed in and tried to help the guy out. I wasn't guessing, I know messing around with any type of fuel can be hazerdous. Thanks for the validation guys, no harm done to man or mower.....

13. All is good Parma..we had him covered..thanks