close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lawn ????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KaGee, Apr 23, 2008.

1. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Anyone have a "home remedy" to neutralize the dog pee spots?

2. Your best bet would probably some lime. You need to counteract the acidity of the doggy business. If I remember correctly, the fact that you have spots in your yard would mean the dog is female.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have 2 labs and i know the SPOTS are from grubs in my lawn,not the dogs? grubs will eat the roots from underneath and kill the lawn in spots. do you see moths fly out when mowing??? that means you have grubs. also critters will scratch your lawn up looking for grubs.one year they tore up my front yard quite a bit looking for grubs.

4. train the dogs to pee in the neighbors yard :p

5. Try tomatoe juice it works.

6. The acid in dog pee kills the grass but the roots will still be implanted in the ground. To see if the grass is dying from the pee or from grubs try to lift a section of the dead grass. If it is just dead from the pee you will come up with a handful of dead grass. If it is grubs you willl lift a large section of grass almost like lifting up a rug that was lying on the dirt because the roots are no longer there to anchor the grass. I do battle with the grubs every year in my front yard. Grub Ex kills them and will allow the lawn to grow back this year, but, at least in my yard, they come back teh next year.

Scott

7. If you have grubs, you will most commonly see where the critters (usually skunks) have been searching for them even before the grass turns brown. You will find patches of grass that will lift easily and it wont be just the dead grass that will do this. The grubs look like a white caterpillar without hair. They will have a brown head and either 4 or 6 legs (don't remember). When you pick them up they will curl up into a ball.

If any one has ever tried live grubs for bait, let me know how they did!!

8. KaGee

It's a couple of spots where the dogs ran outside in the winter, did their business and ran back into the house. Not grubs... too early for grubs anyway.

9. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

actually the grubs are there all year. The voles are already active in my yard.

10. KaGee

Good read Murph.

BTW... moles also eat earth worms. Eliminating grubs will not necessarily shew the moles. Neither is evidence of a mole a sure sign of grubs.

11. I just dug up my yard the other day, added some Bone Meal and some extra dirt, put down seed and hoping for the best.
    We give our dog yeast pills thinking that would help, I see no difference in the yard.
    :( On a down note just found out our dog has Cancer, Vet said it could be days-weeks but probably not months.
    [​IMG]

12. KaGee

So sorry to hear that Murph.

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Make the most of it Murph :) and most importanly don't let her suffer.