close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lawn tractor for me, too.

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by catlover, Jan 25, 2005.

1. catlover

catlover Banned

0   0   0

We just bought a house in Fairborn. Back yard is about 110X40 ish with a privacy fence. Front is 110X25 ish, open with one tree. With me being disabled and her not getting any younger, I'd say nows' the time(she thinks she could do it with the old time reel-type-no motor, that she used as a kid!).
    All we need is something basic and dependable, as I said it's a very easy yard to mow. I don't even have an idea whats used ones are worth(I'm starting to sound like a sucker here-can't believe I used to work in sales).
    Looking outside I'd guess this would be the time to get a "deal". I don't think I want one of those 1000hp fuel-burning turbo jobs that Lake Raider probably has cobbled up'
    Any ideas on what to look for and what to pay? Just something fairly simple, dependable and with availability of parts.

Thanks in advance,
    Catz

2. Character Zero

Character Zero Smallie Phan

0   0   0

well, working on a golf course we have alot of rough to mow. we use an 84" deck that gets the rough mower around the course 2 times in a week...i guess what i am trying to tell you is take into consideration cutting width when making your purchase.-that is, unless you'd rather cut grass over catchin' cats.........HP can always comes second in my book...

3. catlover

catlover Banned

0   0   0

Again, I'm not looking for anything special or enhanced. I have congestive heart failure. It's actually life threatening for me to exert myself. I I could get something,that my wife could putter around the yard on, I'd feel more comfortable. We had been living in appartments, so I have no clue as to how much a kid charges to mow a lawn these days.
    Judging by the kids that offered to shovel the walk? Our sidewalk is about a foot wide, and 90 feet long. To make us legal, they offered to do it for $20. I asked how much for the driveway. They didn,t drives just walks.

Go figgure-
    Catz

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

0   0   0

If you dont find one, let me know I have a little cousin thta cuts grass in Fairborn. He doesnt charge much at all. He onyl charged us $5. (I allowed him to do it, becasue he wanted to, not that fat butt was too lazy to do it!) :D

5. catlover

catlover Banned

0   0   0

Bryan.
    Is that front and back? I'd feel guilty. Not that we have much money, sometimes I can't believe how close to the edge we are. Even for an energetic young fella, it would probably take a good 2 hours.
    Thanks-
    Catz.

6. catlover

catlover Banned

0   0   0

After talking it over with Mrs. Catz, I have another ?. I think I might be better off with a mulching mower. Does it mulch by just using a different blade configuration? I found out Fairborn has stricter yard waste regs. than I had thought. It needs to be bagged in a special paper yard waste bag, or you can pay extra to dump it yourself in a non-disposable container at yhe landfill. This all entails extra steps and money. Is a mulching attacment available for a riding mower? Are they very expensive or pretty much the standard equipment? Lastley, do they work well? And is the mulch left behind a problem-does it harm the grass or even worse, need to be raked up occassionally.
    If anyone has one for sale please letr me know.
    Thanks-
    Catz

7. CLappert

CLappert Gander Mtn./OBFN

0   0   0

There are several answers to your list of questions you can get a rideing mower at lowes ,home depot ,andersons or even wallmart . you can also get mulching blades for most mowers and some will close off the discharge shute to keep the clippings in the blades longer if you want to send a PM with your phone # I'll call and try to help more and no Iam not selling anything just offering to help out

8. Character Zero

Character Zero Smallie Phan

0   0   0

mulching mowers are merely a mower that doesnt discharge the clippings. some have "gator" blades on them, some just have the regular style blades that all roatary mowers have. you can modify a rider by fabricating a plate for the discharge. as long as you keep cutting the grass on a regular basis, you shouldnt ever have clumps and such in your yard. they also work great for those fall leaves...i hope this will help you out :)

oh yeah, it doesnt hurt the grass as long as you keep up the mowing.....

the grass doc.

9. catlover

catlover Banned

0   0   0

That helps. I was thinking the mulcher was,maybe an extra blade mounted in conjuction with the cutting blade, to chop the clippings even finer. I'm pleased to find they are available on a ridding unit.
    Financially, we're just getting by, so new is out of the question.
    Sooo.. if anyone knows of a used, for in the $300 ballpark. Please lets us know. Or I might have to addopt Bryans cousin.

Thanks for the kind replies-
    Catz-
    Out

10. getinjiggy

getinjiggy

0   0   0

Hit garage sales and auctions. Im sure you can get a decent rider for under 300 bucks. I picked up a new rider from Walmart for 500 Its a yardman bug. Ive since upgraded to a 46" Husky but I have a good sized yard.Look in the papers. I know there out there. Most of those rich folks set out mowers to be hauled off cause they dont run. 99% of the time you can replace the gas and plug and they run just fine.

11. lesteratv

lesteratv

0   0   0

If anyone is interested, I have a 1995 Yardman w/ 19hp Briggs Commercial engine & 46" cutting deck. Asking $500.00. Runs and Looks Great!

larry@lesteratv.com

12. catlover

catlover Banned

0   0   0

Actually, we have a pretty straight shot to mow. The I need for a riding mower is due to physical limitations, Moneywise, something servicealbe and a little less expensive would be optimal. 300 bills is about my budget. If you bumo into anything, please let me know.
    Catz

13. H2O Mellon

0   0   0

cat...... Dont fret over the tight Fairborn restrictions. Take a drive, noone follows them. What part of FBorn are you in?

14. catlover

catlover Banned

0   0   0

Just off Maple below the bridge.

15. H2O Mellon

0   0   0

I think I live w/ in a rock throw from you then. I live on Marchmont.

16. catlover

catlover Banned

0   0   0

I'm on Pat. I thought you lined in Huber Hts somewhere.

Catz

17. H2O Mellon

0   0   0

I used to. I grew up in Fairborn, then moved to Huber when I got married, then moved back to Fairborn last year. You'll find out that Fairborn will be happy if you just mow the grass every now & then! Some of the yahoo's around us dont & seem to get away w/ it for months!

18. bajuski

bajuski

0   0   0

Catlover, are you still looking for a riding mower. I have an older wheel horse (88) 11 hp 37 in cut with a bagger. The deck has a few rust holes and I,m tired of welding them up but it is usable the way it is. The tractor runs good.
    You can have it for free if you want it. I'm getting a new one that's a little bigger.

19. H2O Mellon

0   0   0

Catlover has been banned from the site. He may pop up soon though & read your offer.

20. bajuski

bajuski

0   0   0

Thanks H20 Mellon. Sounds like he could've used it. Anyways, it's gone now.