close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lawn Mower's.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Anth, Sep 27, 2005.

1. The grass is geting higher by the day....

Anyone know of some lawn mower forums?

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

No sir. What do you want to know?

3. Here are a couple that I found in a quick glance. I have not used them so I have no idea how useful they are.

Hobby Talk

Do It Yourself

4. Well I have a Huskee mower and I would like to see what other people think of how reliable they are because the parts on mine seem cheep to me. also general maintance tips and stuff like that.
    I like that Do It Yourself one Brian, lots of other good stuff on it too. Thanks

5. crankus_maximus

Huskee mowers are cheap. Is it a tractor? Better tractors are simplicity, cub cadet, john deere, gravely and Economy. If it's more of a riding mower, then you want to look at Snapper or Honda. If you want really good quality, then you need to look at mowers like Dixie, Grasshopper, Toro, Kuboto, etc.

6. Huskee mowers are on the light and cheap side as far a quality. However I do see a lot of them that seem to hold up for years for folks. I had one for a few years right after buying our home. It was used when I got it and I got a few more good years from it before it wore out. I now own a Wheel Horse that if properly maintained will probably run for me as long as I need it. The difference in quality is very significant between the economy models and the premium models. IMO

7. What I found on my Huskee was that if I were using it to mow flat grade light duty mowing, it would hold up pretty decent. However, my lawn has more contour and hills which create more wear and tear. Because of that I found myself replacing many more bearings, belts, jackshafts, etc. Mine finally got to the point where the mower deck was wearing completely off the one side. That will never happen on my Wheel Horse (Toro) because they make the deck with about 3 times thicker steel than then economy models. If you want to know how well the deck will hold up just try lifting it by hand. If you can do it without much effort then it probably will not withstand a lot of years of wear. I put nearly 100 hours on my mower in a season.

If I had it to do all over again now I would go for one of the Toro Z Series mowers because of the time they save. They were relatively new when I made my last purchase and thus were very expensive compared to where they are now.

8. crankus_maximus

They are still pretty expensive. MY buddy was looking at one and it was in the neighborhood of 7 or 8k. However, it saves him 3 hours a week. It used to take him 4-5 hours to mow wit a tractor and now it only takes him like an hour and a half.

Time is priceless and can never be returned.

9. Huskee is an entry level mower. Just like boats, mowers are made in various levels of cost/quality. I used my Huskee, a 12 horse 38" cut for five years on my one acre, nothing but slopes and hills property without any problems. I did clean it with a hose after each use and lubricated it regularly.
    Gave it to my daughter when she bought a house and it was used on a flat three acres for two years befor the deck bearings had to be replaced. Three years later it is still runninr great.
    I bought a 18 horse Husquvarna to replace the Huskee and it was trouble free for five years then needed a deck belt and a spark plug.
    The Huskee cost me $800 and the Husquvarna $2000. Definitely a difference in quality and ruggedness but what would you expect for thr price difference?

10. I think part of the difference for the home user is not only the number of years of use but the number of hours of use. Many homeowners can mow their lawn in an hour or so whereas others have 3-4 hours of mowing in a week. This obviously impacts the overall life of the mower. I probably put around 1,000 hours on the used Huskee that I owned. That mower probably had more than 1,000 on it before I got it. And although I decided it needed replaced I believe someone else is still using it. The deck is in pretty bad shape anymore but it runs fine. It just depends on what you expect out to the mower. I was at a point where I wanted something more reliable, quicker mowing times, better finished look, etc. That was what made my decision. The higher priced mowers will make a nicer finished look and will run at much higher RPM's thus doing a better job of completely cutting the grass as well as discharging and dispersing the cuttings.

11. My last 2 riding mowers were Huskee's a 20/50 and a 26/54.I got 8 yrs out of the first!Change the oil often and like Shortdrift said clean the deck after each use.Oh one more thing I know they say tractor on them but they are riding mowers!