lawn mower

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lundy, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I am now in need of a lawn mower and looking for any history and advice any of you may have.

I am looking at a ZTR Hustler Z, 60" deck, 25 HP kaw, with the bag catcher option. I have almost 6 acres, with moderate slopes, and bunches on big oak trees with bunches of leaves.

I have ruled out the residential units just for cutting time and durability.

Does anyone have any experience with the commercial X-marks, Hustlers or others.

10K is bunch of money!!!!!!

Thanks

2. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

xmark or scag, i've owned both, i prefer the scag, its much more heavy duty than the xmark

3. Kim, I had a scag and an exmark, no experiance with a hustler. The zero turns we had rode like a rock, they would have any loose skin(fatty area) bouncing and was not at all comfortable unless the lawns were extremely smooth, which you seldom see in a yard the size of yours.

Before you buy anything check out a steiner 230. They are a front line mower, they are very fast and alot more comfy than a zero turn. They also make blower attachments, buckets, and all kinds of others. We mow about around 20-30 acres per week withours. If you passing through canton after it warms up a little call me and you can mow the back 40;)

Scott

4. Ever consider a compact tractor? Diesel fuel may cost more but you'll burn less mowing 6 acres.

5. You can get most of the mowers mentioned in gas or deisel

6. I work for a school system and we have 3 of these mowers, they do a great job, and have very few problems with them. The grounds keeper bought a smaller unit for his own home

7. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

I have a gravley. Why I took ther gravley over Xmark or skag was gravley has a hydrolic deck. Both the skag an xmark (last I shoped) had the deck ajustment 1/2 inch at a time with foot control. When your malching leaves, cutting high stuff you need to cut more than 1 time its really nice to ajust the deck on the move with push button. The gravley did not do as well on hills as the others I demoed at the time but it was more comfortable on the bumps.

I got mine 5 years ago so this might be a little out of date, but IMO gravley is another viable option. X mark and skag are both great mowers, cant go wrong however ya go.

8. dip

dip dip

i have been known to do a bit of mowing..... last year we demo'd a scag and a ferris... i liked the scag altho it had a rougher ride. we got the ferris. i always thought of gravelys being slow and loud. for bigger mowers we are going with toros. i will be using an 11' 4000. i highly recommend the toro z-turns and the ferris. we bought a hustler 3 years ago and never even use it.

9. I mow about 6to 8ac I bought a B9200 kubota in 1989 , 60in mower . its still worth what I paid for it ., only compact tractor that holds it value . oh repairs ?????? I did put a new mower belt on about three yrs ago. NEVER A BREAK DOWN . oil/filters . and its still going strong. yep big bucks ,but worth it . good time to deal ,dealers are hungry. just a idea.

10. Jim he would have to retire to ride a mower like that them is for older people J/K. He wants to mow fast to fish more I am thinking.

Scott

11. Go to(of all places), a Tractor Supply Store and look at their extended lines of mowers. If I was looking today, I'd get their new BAD BOY 60" cut, 26 HP zero turn. It is professional grade at a residential price-not cheap at $4995-but you can spend that and not get a mower that looks like it would knock down and mow over a brick wall! The deck looks like it's of 1/4" steel plate! Everything else is strictly HD also. Not sure if it's the same company as makes the "Buggy" which is so popular on the Outdoor Channel but I bet it is. GOOGLE Bad Boy mowers and you'll get all you need.

12. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I looked at few different manufacturers yesterday and have checked out a couple of lawn jockey type sites.

The xmark, Huster, Skagg and some others all get high marks.

The Toro ZTR's and XMark are made on the same assembly line, basics are the same on both.

The grass catcher options on any of these are $2200 and up. The mower cost are not terrible, the options add up VERY quickly.

I would like each of you with all of these different types of mowers to come to my home, one at a time, once a week for the next 8 months and demo your machines for me.:D

I appreciate all of the comments. I'm still researching every option.

Thanks

13. ive been mowing for along time. the nicest cutting mower i ever seen is a walker. but a brand new one is gonna run ya ten grand. but the fastest ive ever seen is a wright stander. ive used 52 inch decks and 61s. sounds like youd want the 61 for as much as your gonna mow. the stander makes a really nice cut and you can get a new one for around 6 or 7 grand. and a catcher for it is around 100 bucks. check out emmitts up in richfield that guy has about anything you could ever want and he has good quality used mowers if your interested in a used one.

14. dip

dip dip

i operated a jacobsen with 3 6' decks for years. 4 speed, could "mow" at 21 mph (at the airport) covered a lot of ground.

15. I bought a steiner Zero turn and really enjoy mowing now. I had a 17 hp Cub Cadet garden tractor and took me almost 3hrs to mow. Now down to about 1hr. I looked at all the others but liked the steiner the best. I have a 52" deck. I played with the Gravely (my neigbors) he has 60 cut. Didnt want to spend 10 grand. Also was interested in the Cub commercial. I used that a few times but they would not deal. If you want the job done fast then Zero turn is the way to go. The one draw back is it's a ###GRASS MOWER### the are not made to pull trailers / sprayers / haul wood. Last thing, which is important it is very hard to drink a beer when mowing versus a tractor.

16. I also found it a little surprising you didn't mention compact farm tractors. Normally with that much acreage...the tractor that cuts the lawn also serves as a driveway grader, snow plow, bush hog, post hole digger, etc.

17. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

This would be my choice as well. Especially since they hold their value and there are so many options and accessories. The guy above who mentioned the Kubota is right on.

18. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I agree with the exception that I have a Polaris Ranger with a dump bed and can easily add a plow or snow blower attachment.

I like the fact that I can now put the Ranger to work rather than just sitting all year except for hunting season. My wife likes the fact that there is a "real" purpose for the Ranger now:)

Whatever I purchase must be able to pickup bunches of leaves as well as cut grass..

19. I own a Scag ZTR, mow 3 acres and am very satisfied with the cut & quality of the scag. Purchased it at North Royalton Power Equipment, the best people ever to do business with, knowledgeable, prompt, great service.

20. if your looking for a mower that will pick up leaves look at getting a used walker with a 61in. deck. its a $10,000 mower brand new and you can pick a used one up for half the price usually. i have never seen a mower pick up leaves and make a better cut. i used mine today doing some property clean ups its a whole lot better than raking and it does a better job.