close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Launching

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by reel, May 12, 2005.

1. Unhook trailer lights before launching ?

I don't get it.

Is it the brake light bulbs that get hot under water ?

Just one more thing to forget when driving away.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I never unhook mine, and i've never had any problems on the 3 boats/trailers I've owned. I probably just jinxed myself ;)

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

an age old question that will draw different answers ;)
    personally,i've never had a problem,and never unhook them.hot bulbs and cold water could present a problem,but then again,i never experienced it.my present trailer setup assures against that,as the lights are mounted on top of my guide on posts,so they never come close to the water ;)

4. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I think this rose from the fact that old trailers typically do not have sealed lights. I remember as a kid we blew lights out of our trailer all the time. More modern trailers have completely sealed tail-lights - you can't replace the bulb without replacing the whole thing.

I never unhook my lights and have never had an issue in the past 10 years through three trailers.

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I got in the habit of leaving them plugged in, so I could see the trailer when trying to put the boat on it at night. That, and pure laziness.

The one time I did unplug them, I forgot to plug them back in, and dragged that harness all the way home down 71, ripping it to shreds.

6. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

My boat has sealed waterproof lights on it so I dont take them off. On my old boat it wasnt sealed but they were fine when I didnt un hook them.

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

hot lightbulbs will break when they hit cold water. daytime driving will not make them hot. i unplug mine because i have a 2000 gmc w/ daytime running light which are always on. i unplug them as soon as i start getting ready to launch. but i do have 1 of the new completely sealed lights on my trailer,and 1 of the older types.

8. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Buy a set of waterproof tail lights and install them. You won't have to worry about them blowing out. You can buy them at auto-zone or any marine supply dealer. Unplugging trailer lights each time you launch is like living in the stone age.

9. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

One thing that I found out with my new truck is that it will blow fuses if I plug the trailer lights in while the truck is running.

10. A lot of new trailers as well as newer light kits make use of the LED type lights. These never get hot, last forever (almost), and are not much more $$ than incandescent lights. This means to need to unplug them = 2 less things to remember (unplugging and replugging).

11. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I don't have sealed lights and I do unplug before launching. Sometimes I forget and once in a while a bulb breaks. I carry spares and a screwdriver and have gotten fast at replacing bulbs, especially since I've dropped and lost half the lens screws! I recommend smearing dielectric contact grease on the harness connector, the base of the bulbs and on the + and - contacts to prevent corrosion.