close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Last year's Season

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Big Daddy, Apr 22, 2004.

1. So guys, how did it compare? I did OK at Mogadore, but had below average year at Portage Lakes and Mosquito. Didn't much matter though, as some good buds of mine opened my eyes to Presque Isle Bay in PA. Salvaged a mediocre season for me with memories that'll last a lifetime. I'm talking the type you tell your grandkids about. I still think back on the trips I made up there, and STILL, words can't really describe it. All I can do is chuckle and shake my head. LOL. Great fishing with great people.

Oh well, there's crappie to be caught now and the water is still pretty cold. See yas.

Carl

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Not nearly as good as the previous year, but Ive only been going at it truly hardcore for 2 seasons! 3's a charm, right? Cant wait....got a new 8" Lazer auger just waiting to get broken in....and a magnifying cover for my vexilar...which i have tried once from a boat and i like it.

3. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Mosquito was great the season before last, many limits of eyes off Housel Craft but this last season was awful. I caught NO walleye in 5 or 6 tries there, the cemetary, and Hull Rd. At a private lake in Montville we did great as every year on gills, craps, and bass. Smelt fishing stunk at Edgewater and Fairport Harbor. This was my first year at Presque Isle and it was phenominal: gills, perch, bass, and a steelhead. I'll be back. Got my FL18 Ultra Pack after ice-out and can't wait to use it. Probably get another 'ducer for my boat.

4. hardwaterfan

I feel the same way about Mosquito! Congrats on getting the 18.....there is nothing like having a vexilar of your very own! Sometimes I just want to be on the ice to see what the vexilar will show me, I truly love it, its definitely one of the coolest peices of electronics Ive ever owned...then again, i think i said the same thing about my Atari 2600 at the time!

5. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

A friend of mine got an Aqua View, but it didn't always work well for him. Seemed like it was often out of focus, too dark, too bright, etc. He ended up sending it back to Cabelas. His experience put me off of cameras. I looked over a few shoulders at other guys flashers and digitals and knew I wanted either an 18 flasher or a Fishmark digital. I studied one at the Cleveland Sportsman Show and it did look pretty sweet, but I was not convinced that the liquid crystal display was always going to function in the cold. I'm thinking about rigging up something to hold my ice ducer on my boat so I can use the Vex before hard water. Gawd, I love ice fishing.

6. hardwaterfan

If its very calm water you can just throw the ducer over the side of the boat although most people wouldnt recommend it, I have done it a few times with no ill effects.

Just have to be careful with the cable, its made to be limp and pliable in cold weather so it is easily cut and scraped, especially when its warmed up. And be careful not to knock the ducer around against the boat. I guess theres some kind of crystalline, fragile structures inside that tranmits and receives the signals.

They sell ducers for the boat that are made to be mounted, they run aroun 68 dollars. Just plug it in to your vex and you can vex on the soft water without beating up the ice ducer.

But, its not nearly as fun as being out with it on the ice! In my opinion the vex is not something I really want to have in my way on the boat. Its just not as useful on the boat due to more current, movement of the boat, not fishing perfectly vertically (if at all), etc.

Good luck.