close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lasik eye correction

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishman, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I've really been considering getting this done. I know just about all the ins and outs of it but there are still a few things I'm a bit scared about.

The biggest worry of mine is the potential loss of night vision. First off, my night vision is terrible. At least I think it is. I had my consultation at a Lasik institute and they "assured" me my night vision wouldn't get any worse. I think they are just trying to make a sale. In my line of work, I cannot afford to lose my night vision as I drive quite a lot in the early morning/night.

Have any of you had this done, and what do you have to say about it. Pros and cons. Would you do it all over again if you had too?

Another thing I'm not certain about is if I go through with this, should I pay upfront for a one-year plan so that if in the first year something isn't right I can get it tweaked for free. Or in your case was it perfect the first go around.

I only know 2 people that have had this done. 1 person had an excellant experiance and the other had a good one (minimal problems.)

I canceled my appointlment for tomorrow to get my eyes dialated, they wanted to do this before going ahead with the operation. I figured I would find out somemore info from people who have had this done and wait untill summer when I have a little more freetime and can think it through more thoroughly.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i'm on the next chopping block too fishman.. my dad got his done last month and love every minute after the operation.. he was awake during the entire procedure..

3. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

I had mine done a year ago. I would do it over 100 times. I went from 20-400 to 20-15. I had a lot of light sensitivity at first. That may have been my own fault though. I went through prescreening and had the operation the same day so my pupils were dialated when I had the procedure done.

4. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

I had epi-lasik surger done in 2002 and have had no problems with it. At first I did get a the halo's from lights at night but it wasnt enough to affect my driving. I had my surgery done at the Columbus Laser Center by Dr. Beran. I went in for several interviews and testing to see if I was a good candidate and at no time did I feel the pressure of them trying to sell me on it. I think at the time it was 1200.00 per eye but that included all of the follow-up checks. You bet your ass I would do it again, I now have 20/20 vision. My vision before the surgery was 20/525, basically what I could see at 20 feet someone (with 20/20) could see at 525 feet. I couldnt even read a book without correction because my eyes would cross because I had to have the book so close to my face. Dr Beran is known as the best surgeon in Ohio to perform this surgery and has done close to 10,000 surgerys. The surgery is painless and takes less then 10 minutes. They put some drops in your eyes to numb them up, and i was also give Vicoproffin to relax my nerves. They put you in a chair like a dentist and lean you back horizontally. They put these little clamps in your eyes to hold them open which didnt bother me at all. then they cut the the first layer of the eye open with a scaple knife (sp?) and flip it to the side. they swing the chair under this machine and tell you to look at the dot in the center of the laser. you will hear a clangin noise , and that is simply the lazer machine firing the beam which is reshaping the cornea. they then put the flap back over your eye, put in some sort of gel crap and move onto the next eye. they will give you these funky lenses to tape over your eyes so you dont scratch them or rub them. I had to wear them for 2 days, and also to vicodin to make me more comfortable. Thats pretty much it...

con's
    Cost $1200.00 per eye
    daytime vision is a little sensitive to sun. (but good shades take care of that)

Pro's
    I can see like never before
    No hassle of glasses or contacts ( breaking, loosing, irritation)
    Less headaches
    dont wake up with eye boogers, like I did with contacts n glasses
    Dont have to clean anything.
    Smoke doesnt bother me as much
    Vision hasnt changed yet, if anything its better..

I asked the staff why it was so much more to have them do it and that was because they include all your follow-up checks, and if they need to do a correction it is also included. If you have to pay for all this seperately the price ads up to the same.

Sowbelly

5. My wife had it done about three years ago and she said it was well worth it . She used to wear glasses all her life...JIM

6. I had RK (actually cut small incisions with a knife) in 1991. No real problems that haven't been mentioned already and I would do it again in heartbeat. My question and comment is this: I have had to wear reading glasses for the last 5 years or so-has anyone had that fixed with lasik?

7. My Sister Had Hers Done A Few Yrs Ago..she Still Has To Wear Her Glasses For Some Things.overall,she Said She Would Do It Again////

8. My X father n law had his done... While in surgery he commented that he was feeling discomfort in the one eye but the surgery was continued and he lost his vision in that eye... He passed away that very year but the X mom n law got some $$$ out of it all... D A M N SHAME he last days were spent without the use of his one eye... He could no longer drive, walk with confidence and lost some of his spunk :(
    If you are going to have it done I would check out the place by spending the extra cash on a lawyer and have him go over everything from their patient history success rate to what hap's if something goes wrong...
    WATCH what you sign...

9. Juls

Juls Charter Captain

Rick and I both had this done 3 months ago. We are both completely satisfied with the results, and we're both doing fine.

I am now 20/15 in my right eye and 20/10 in my left. I had an astigmatism in my right eye, so the regular Lasik wasn't an option. They have a special lazer for this, and it costs a little more. Rick and I got in on a special they were having (two for one), and it would have cost 3000.00 for the both of us, but because of two delays, they gave it to us for 1500.00. Yes, that's right, 4 eyes for the price of one! All of our follow up visits are included in that price too, so we made out like banchies.;-)
    My night vision before the surgery was on the poor side, and I had the same fears as you, but now it's terrific. I couldn't be happier.

The most important thing to do right after the surgery is to get a lot of sleep. The longer you can keep your eyes closed to let them heal, the better. In two days time, I slept for 24 hours...I needed that anyway. lol Rick didn't sleep as much and his eyes were a little behind mine in the healing process. They will keep getting better each month up to 6 months, so if you do have a problem...don't panic....give it the 6 months before you go back for any corrective procedures, if in fact you would even need it. Some people just heal faster than others.

Dr. Williams in Toledo did our surgeries...he works out of Opti-Vu on Navarre Rd. He has done well over 10,000 of these operations, and is considered the best in the Northwest Ohio area. The surgery itself was a snap. I found it to be a little creepy(only because of the thingy they put over your eyeball to stabilize it), but they made me feel very comfortable, and it was over in no time at all. You don't feel a thing when they cut the flap. I think I was in the chair/bed for a total of 5 minutes. You can see as soon as you get up, but your eyes will be watery and a little sensitive. That will go away by the next day. Have someone take you there and drive you home, so you can keep your eyes closed on the ride home. Go home, and go right to bed for as a long as you can. Two Tylenol PM's work good for that...;-)
    They will give you goggles to wear to bed for the first 5 or 7 days, so you will not rub your eyes during the night. During the day, you should not rub your eyes for at least a month. You will also be advised to use eye drops (natural tears) liberally for a minimum of two weeks.

If I had to do it all over again...I most definitly would! Being able to see again without glasses has been the best experience in the world.

Juls

10. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Has anyone here had this procedure done who was Farsighted? I've been told that they have pretty much perfected the procedure for Nearsightedness and were still working to improve the procedure for farsightedness. I'm so jealous of Rob since he had this done. He can wake up and see now! (and THAT is a scary thought! :-0!)

11. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I'm not sure Reel Lady, but it's little things like "getting up and seeing" that you mentioned make me want to do it more and more. One of my favorite pasttimes, besides fishing ;) , is swimming. But I don't wear contacts because they dry my eyes out terribly. So swimming is down right unenjoyable. I can't see crap, and I don't want to risk loosing my glasses. When I wade fish I wear things that keep my glasses on in the event I have to swim a stretch of river, ya I'm crazy when I wade fish some of the members can contest to that. Another thing I like to do it fall asleep watching TV, but falling asleep with my specs on my head isn't very comfortable... there really are probably a million thing I could list that I hate about glasses. Oh how about working or fishing out in the rain?! What a pain! I constantly have to clear my glasses off.

I really wish I hadn't canceled my appointment, but I guess all in all its for the better. I work for a fish hatchery and delivery season could be starting as early as the end of this month. That would put me on the road for at a minimum of 12 hours a day with sweat rolling down my forehead into my eyes. I'de be breaking the rules, rubbing away at them I'm sure. If I had to guess this summer it's going to happen.

Thanks for all the great input guys and gals - I've love to hear more storys good or bad as they make the decision all that easier to make.

12. dont do it man! If you do, see if they will give your glasses back non-perscription. They look good on you cause they cover up part of your face.

HA HA HA, id do it if i were you. My eyes are not that bad yet but if they get worse id do it. The worst that could happen is that you would go blind and never play TFC again.