larvae bait poll (not including baitfish)

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Nov 29, 2008.

1. waxworms

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. maggots

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  3. other

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

whats your larvae of choice? what would you take if you could only take one kind. id have to go with waxworms. if you picked "other", post what you would take.

also, do you guy think its too early to buy some bulk bait.

2. Maggots last alot longer on the hook...plus one can hold many more in ones mouth (keepin those critters warm) in comparison to waxies.

3. Maggots may last longer but I always get a better bite with a waxie.

4. The only time I prefer maggots over waxies is when I buy waxies that look 2 months old. They work, but to me, there is nothing better then a fresh, fat wax worm. Now, from time to time, I'll get lucky and buy some fat fresh maggots that I will go to quickly. So, I prefer wax worms, but will use whatever of the two are the freshest.

We know that the fish will tell us from time to time what they prefer that day. But it isn't any clearer to me when using the camera on a clear lake. You can see exactly how they're reacting to the different bait. Either suck and hold, or suck and spit:eek: And without the camera sometimes you'll never know they had the lure in their mouth.

5. I agree!

I just wish they were more hearty in the cold, so I use the magg's too

6. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Gulp Waxies don't die! I had really good results with them last year on Portage Lakes. I had live waxies with me too on most of the trips and had better luck with Gulp just about every trip.

7. peon

peon account delete

waxies!!!! i bought some last winter and put them in the fridge crisper drawer wrapped in a beanie and they lasted for probably a good 3-4 months!! i have never had any last that long before so im gonna store mine that way this year .. must have been the perfect temp!!

8. mousies most of the time if baitshops have them.

9. i like to put a waxie on then put a magg. on behind it i think it keeps the waxie on longer.

10. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

The big difference between the wax worms and maggots is their smell.Waxies are moth larve and maggots are made from rotten fish carcasses.Alot of times it's the smell of the bait that will attract the bite. When the fish are not aggresive maggots get the nod.That's why I take both ............Mark