close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Largemouth Bass

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Columbusslim31, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

In your opinion which lake and/or river is the best largemouth fisherie in central Ohio?

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

My first 2- choices would be Griggs and O'Shaugnessy hands down. Outdoor life and in-fisherman both agree. Alum is good also. But my top 2 are Griggs and Oshaugnessy.

3. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I would have to say O'Shaunessy hands down !

4. I would have to say Hoover and Griggs with Alum a very close third. Hoover is overlooked for Bass because many fish it for Saugeyes,Crappie, and catfish, but I've caught more than a few largemouth well over three and some smallies at 2 plus lb class.

5. I guess you guys have never fished Knox lake before?

6. woody86

woody86 Fishing #2, Catching #1

I would definitly have to say it's o'shay. I've seen some killer largemouth and smallmouth caught out of that resevoir.

7. My first choice would be O'Shaughnessy... Then Griggs.... With Alum next. I would say it all depends on how well you know each reservoir. Griggs used to be my top until I got to know O'Shaughnessy. I'm sure the guys that fish Alum alot would put it at the top of there list.

Get to know your reservoir. You would really be surprised what you find putting alot of time in.

GarryS

8. flounder

flounder 2 min 30 sec from Hoover

My first choice would be Knox then Hoover 3rd Griggs and Oshay tie. I do like Indian Lake in the spring too.

9. Knox Lake. I can't even think of a close 2nd.

10. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Alum first, O'shay second, Griggs third

11. Alum and O'shay are my top two favorites.

Although Knox is a great lake too, pulled my biggest largemouth from it.

12. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

My vote is alum for quality bass but the numbers go to OSR for sure. Not saying osr doesn't have quality bass because it does, but if you want a 5 or 6lber go to Alum. And yes knox is a great lake but just don't get to fish it much, Same with hoover.

13. Columbusslim31

Well so far it looks like O'Shaughnessy is the front runner. Thanks a lot guys for your opinions. I'm still looking to catch my first largemouth so based on this thread, if I can't catch a lmb out of either, O'shay, Griggs, or Alum, this year, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anyone else have an opinion? No one even mentioned Buckeye...

14. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

it should not be a problem to get you into a largemouth, Marshall!

In fact, our go-to spot, besides producing several nice smallies (among other nice fish) has given up several largemouth for me.

Just gotta wait this weather out...

15. Columbusslim31

Sounds like a plan John

16. tnant1

tnant1 Avid bait killer

I'll tell you like I've told others. The best hands down LMB fishing there is around is the AEP lands. It's about 1.5 - 2 hour drive from Columbus but if you want to catch bass, that's the cat's meow. If you go, get a map off the AEP website and try to hit a few of the lakes that aren't easy access. Walk in a few yards and you'll catch more than you might believe. A not too close second would be Knox lake, but again, it's a little bit of a drive. #rd favorite would be Hoover just because I've spent more time there than any of the others.

17. If you just want to catch a few and release them with barbless hooks you can come to my pond and have more action than any places mentioned.

18. Columbusslim31

That sounds great! Anyone know where I can get some barbless hooks?

19. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Take pliers and push the barbs down on your baits.

20. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I just flatten the barbs on my hooks with pliers whenever I want to fish barbless. This creates a little bump on the end of the hook which still helps keep fish on without doing much damage at all.