close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

????? lanterns while catfishing ???????

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by tcba1987, Jul 23, 2005.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

i fish with a good buddy of mine who absolutely hates it when i turn the lantern on at dark when we are catfishing. problem is i cant see worth a darn in the dark. the question i have is this ................do you think using a lantern scares away the big cats ??? he says it scares them off , that its like turning the sun on at night and it bothers them what do you all think ???

2. Get one of those LED/Xenon headlamps. Use it only when you have to. Another good one is called a Bil-Lite (www.bil-lite.com) that has a spring clip, goes on your pocket, hat, box...

3. Only problem I can see with that bil-lite would be that it takes the expensive batterys. Well that and it looks like it just doesn't get all that bright, but I can't really tell from the pics. I don't catfish (to boring and reqiures no skill compaired to bass fishing), but did as a kid. I used a lantarn all the time and never had a problem with not catching cats.

4. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I keep my Lantern on the Lowest setting or Off while on the Boat, On a good Moon Lit nite I can see my Lines just fine. I have not noticed a differance with a Latern on or Off, Im always catching Big Fish. But for me Personaly the Darker the Better.

Im thinking of going with Black Light's on the Side of my Boat for next year, Anyone use them ? And how well can you see with them ?

Cat Mazter

5. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I have never had a problem with laterns while catfishing and I have been doing it for 15+ years. I really don't think it scares them away, it probably attracts them as the light attract bugs and the bugs die and fall into the water, bluegills or bait fish comes comes to get the bugs and the cats follow to where there is abundant food (bluegills or bait fish). I could be wrong but its my theory. Another reason why I don't think it scares them away is that I cast out away from where my latern is at and there is no way my little latern can produce enough light to light anything 20+ yards away.

6. dip

dip dip

not sure as to whether the lite affects the cats but it sure affects my nite vision. too many things to watch to be blinded by the lite! mazter: blacklites illuminate florescent line to where it looks like telephone wire! highly recommended altho i still prefer to set up to where i use moonlite or white clouds to make my rods stand out.

7. I didn't realize it took skill to toss a spinnerbait at a stick. :rolleyes: Or better yet, just a bare shoreline.

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have caught my biggest flatheads in the daytime, a 50 and 40 -lb fish..So I doubt the lantern bothers them.

9. Gather enough bait for a night of fishing for flatheads (large live bait that you caught on hook & line), scout out the water for proper big fish habittat. Then have every muscle, sinew and tendon in your upper body stretched out as that 40 lber tries to make a run for the moon. Oh yeah, then comes the task of landing it in knee deep mud. NAHHHH, takes no skill at all :(

10. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

NOPE i dont night fish with a lanter for BIG cats..smaller ones, yea use a lantern.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy the energizer LED head lamp for $12..has a white LED and a red LED......it will make night fish much better(just dont shine it accrossed the water..geez..lol)

As for the other unknowlegable comment i read by a certain someone.....man i REALLY wish i could comment on that one but i wont!!!

Scott

11. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Anybody can do it :D

Maybe it requires more skill than you are capable of understanding :rolleyes:

When bassmasters dredge up my lines while looking at me and then tell me they didn't realize that I was fishing. I tell them it is an honest mistake that I am often confused with someone just sitting on a bank looking at rods.

You won't see catmen buzzing boats around where people are bass fishing.

I digress.

Lanterns do not influence channel cats one way or another.

Flatheads however are spooked by unnatural lights. Proof of this will be coming shortly as Magis and I attempt night video of flathead fights.

Jack

I think these guys were talking about using lanterns at night.

12. If I have one on at all I have it turned down to the lowest setting...
    I do it more for me then the chance I may scare some away... I like to look at the stars and sit in the dark myself...
    I can't believe someone would compare apples and oranges or bass and catfish LOL but to each his own I say... His point may be valid where and how he fishes but to me a large trophy catfish is tuffer to catch then a trophy bass but thats just me...

13. I can tell you don't Bass fish or at least not very often.

14. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

There is a certain time of year that i fish around the bridge at mosquito. i do everything i can to keep the crappiers from muscling in on me with their lanterns; and they will try to literally fish right on top of you. when the few that succeeded did seucced in the past (maybe 10 years ago) i never got a run for flatheads. coincidence? i think not. a certain partner of mine who will remain nameless (stinkbait) used to bringa lantern until i played golf with it (literally treated like a Titleist teed up and ready) when he wouldnt move it away from the water! must be the whole chef temperament thing.

JB

15. All of us catters bass fish often enough---------WHEN WE NEED BAIT :D

16. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I know that..But if the daytime sun dont scare them, I doubt a lantern will..I dont use a lantern anymore..But I used to catch lots of flatheads and I placed the lantern on the waters edge at the highest setting...If your bait is 50yds from shore in 20 feet of water, I doubt the glow from the lantern is getting there... I realize the glow from a lantern at night is unnatural, and might spook a fish if it's in shallow water and close to the lantern.

17. As a matter of fact I've probably spent more time bass fishing that I have catfishing. Though, you've shown the extend of your knowledge on the subject. Anyone know the phrase that ends with "and remove all doubt"? :rolleyes:

18. Same with me man I use to fish the OBTC Circuit years ago till I moved on to bigger and better fish LOL I like a challenge myself and trophy cats are the hardest of the two for me to catch...

19. lol you guys sure are easy to get going. All I can say is I find it so easy to catch catfish that I even catch them when bass and crappie fishing. And I hate it when I do. Thats 2 minutes of fighting and removing the hook that I will never get back (damn fish, stay off my line).

20. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Flathead fishermen are patient laid back guys. We tolerate rude people.
    But I for one have a limit.

I think I need to surf the bass forum to see your trophy bass.

I will disagree with that statement till I see your trophy catfish.

If we were desperate enough to bass fish we would at least be smart enough to post about it in the bass forum!

I will say I am impressed when you can hook and land catfish in 2 minutes. My imperession is that it takes you 20 minutes of squealing like a girl to unhook a catfish :D

I am still gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and save the next post for you to show pix of your easy to catch catfish ;)

Then everyone here will know who talks the talk and who walks the walk ;)

[​IMG]

Are we remembered by our words or by our deeds?

[​IMG]

We are open minded so all you have to do is show us ;)

[​IMG]

Have a :D nice day