close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Landscaping

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ARGEE, Apr 18, 2005.

1. I Need A Small Wall Put Up On The Side Of My Yard.

Im In Akron.anyone Out There To Do It?

2. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

What kind of wall???? Stone, rock faced block, concrete, R.R. ties? I do it all.

3. R.r. Ties Or Something Similiar.about 1ft To 4 Ft High/////

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

How long and what is it holding back? A hill? Raised bed? You'll find that the block (decorative or cinder) is going to be pretty expensive and that railroad ties are going to be hard to find. Is this for a deck, driveway, walk, etc.?

5. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

There's a fencing company on Waterloo road that sells RR ties for $6 a piece. These are nice ties, not rotting junk ties.

head west on Waterloo road from Main street, it's down on the left. You can't miss it.

6. Carpman_1977

Carpman_1977 Big Softy the Fish Finder

YUCK! I hate those RR ties in the front of the yard. We moved into a house in Firestone Park about 3 years ago, and the ties in the front were in horrible condition. Last year, I pulled them all out (piece by piece no less, they were so rotten), leveled off the front lawn, put in a new sidewalk, and put up a 2-3 foot retaining wall with that decorative brick. REAL NICE!! I'll post before and after pics of it later on to show you. Really makes the front of the house look nice.

It is true though- it's not cheap. Luckily, Home Depot had a sale on the bricks I needed for the sidewalk one week, the bricks I needed for the wall the next week, and the dirt to back fill it the next. Lucky timing I guess.

7. Carpman,where Do You Live In Firestone Pk?..i Live On Reed Av////////

8. Carpman_1977

Hope this works...............
    O.k. it did. You can see the before and afters. The RR ties by the road were in worse shape than the onses by the house. It wasn;t that hard to do, but it took patience :D and I missed out on some quality fishing last summer :mad: .

Attached Files:

9. At all costs do not use rr ties!!! - no self repsecting landscaper would recommend them. They look terrible and are soaked in creosote. Depending on what you are trying to do you can get field stone relatively cheap - they look alot better. If you need a solid vertical wall go for the retaining stones or sandstone blocks depending on your budget and preferences.

10. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I use rr ties when they are free. I use them to line my gravel parking. They worked just fine. I wouldn't use them for a wall though. You will eventually have to replace it due to rot and other things like bugs, etc.

11. Carpman_1977

Oh yeah, forgot about the ants. They were EVERYWHERE when I ripped the old rr ties out.