Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
live-2-fish
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, heading up to the lake in 2 weeks for a mini vacation, staying inside of Lakeside and this will be the first time visiting the lake fully equipped. Sadly I will be stuck on the bank, but I still want to give it a shot. Would anyone mind sharing some tips? Maybe a spot or two? I'd love to get into a few Lake Erie smallies and or some walleye, but I'm honestly not sure if it's even doable as I have zero experience with this lake aside from some worm and bobber fishing as a kid. I am mainly a pond and river bass angler. Anything helps! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Of you are staying at lakeside, walleye are a possibility this year, I'd try evening/ ight from the pier. Evening can also bring in schools of white bass along the shoreline. - look for birds and/or "boiling" water.

Even when the white bass aren't in, I've had fun casting from shore at/near sunset.

·
live-2-fish
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of you are staying at lakeside, walleye are a possibility this year, I'd try evening/ ight from the pier. Evening can also bring in schools of white bass along the shoreline. - look for birds and/or "boiling" water.

Even when the white bass aren't in, I've had fun casting from shore at/near sunset.
Thanks Boss! Any tips on lure selection? I have pretty much strictly a bass background!

·
Registered
10 Posts
White spinners with a silver blade shyster style preferably. They seem to catch a fair share of fish from shore. I personally havent had much luck from the Catawba peir this yr but that can always change. Evenings at the Marble Head lighthouse. A casting /bobber with a white jig brought in aggressively can find white bass for you.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I've never seriously casted from shore for eyes, so I can't help with specific crank baits - I believe people like blue and silver though. May even try a mayfly rig/harness.

White bass, weighted bobber in front of a white spinner (rooster tail) is standard fare, from the pier you can get away with a small casting spoon, anything with flash and movement .... I also like to cast a lead head with twister tail from shore. Can sometimes get some bass (small and large mouth) and sheep head.

·
live-2-fish
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never seriously casted from shore for eyes, so I can't help with specific crank baits - I believe people like blue and silver though. May even try a mayfly rig/harness.

White bass, weighted bobber in front of a white spinner (rooster tail) is standard fare, from the pier you can get away with a small casting spoon, anything with flash and movement .... I also like to cast a lead head with twister tail from shore. Can sometimes get some bass (small and large mouth) and sheep head.
Thanks for all the info boss, you da man! Looking forward to casting a line a little more now. I figured there was no hope from the bank!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I haven't been on them in years but Port Clinton head boats always gave me the opportunity for a nice walleye trip at a modest cost. There were several boats there. Captains have changed by now but it gets you on the water. Sassy Sal was the big boat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We do good on the peir at lakeside at nite in the fall n early winter. We cast husky jerks n p10. I'd give it a try. Need a long handle net there. If u got any ripping raps that'd be a good choice too.

·
681 Posts
Hey fellas, heading up to the lake in 2 weeks for a mini vacation, staying inside of Lakeside and this will be the first time visiting the lake fully equipped. Sadly I will be stuck on the bank, but I still want to give it a shot. Would anyone mind sharing some tips? Maybe a spot or two? I'd love to get into a few Lake Erie smallies and or some walleye, but I'm honestly not sure if it's even doable as I have zero experience with this lake aside from some worm and bobber fishing as a kid. I am mainly a pond and river bass angler. Anything helps! Thanks in advance!
Rig two leadheads in tandem with stiff mono or wire, something similiar to a perch spreader. Use two different weight jigs. Maybe a quarter and a 5/16. If you get into wb you will catch plenty of doubles. I have tried triples, but you get more tangles than it is worth

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just go to east harbor and enjoy catching bass till your arms hurt! Just fish there your first day and you'll be tired of catching bass, then trying for walleye or something else from the pier - even if it's not successful you'll still feel good about your trip and catching a bunch of bass!

·
live-2-fish
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cant thank you enough guys! Luck would have it one of my favorite youtube fisherman just spent a few days IN LKSD and posted a few videos! great timing right? Armed with all this info, it should be a good week away from the desk!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I live in Marblehead and you can catch bass in large numbers walking up and down the rocks in lake side. Also if you want to target cat fish just a worm and hook on the bottom will do the trick. Lures are just typical bass lures. Cranks, tube jigs etc
live lo

·
live-2-fish
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I live in Marblehead and you can catch bass in large numbers walking up and down the rocks in lake side. Also if you want to target cat fish just a worm and hook on the bottom will do the trick. Lures are just typical bass lures. Cranks, tube jigs etc

live lo
Thats awesome news! Do you ever manage to bring in a smallie every once in a while?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My son and I pulled several walleye and a few crappie from the pier a few weeks ago while on vacation. Fished from about 9:30 to midnight. Caught 75% of the fish on flicker minnows and the remaining where on casting harnesses with 3/4 oz weights.

Most were small but did get a few over 15".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts