Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
saltwater sensei
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're going camping with my sister and her family at Lake Tahoe on the California side.

Having done some googleing I have come to understand that the lake is deep, 1,500ft in places, cold and a PITA to fish from the bank. The fishes are mostly lake trout and some type of non-migratory salmon.

We will be at DL Bliss state park on the SSW part of the lake near Emerald Bay.

I should be able to drive somewhere within 30 minutes of the campground to fish in tributaries, rivers, ponds, etc. since lake fishing is supposed to be so difficult.

I plan on bringing a pflueger prsident spinning reel and rod combo with 10lb braided sufix. I have bought two Kastmaster 1/4 oz spoons in chrome/blue and gold for the trout and salmon as I heard they were good for that type of fishing. I also will bring my soft side tackle bag full of lures and stuff I'd use for multi-specie fishing here in central Ohio.

Please tell where to go and how to fish this place.

If you could also let me know what terminal tackle I WON'T need to bring, it could save me some lugging. Crankbaits, jigs, topwaters, sinkers, hooks, etc.

If I'm "taking a knife to a gun fight" with my ML rod and reel, please tell me as well. I do have all my saltwater gear in a variety of heavy weights that I could bring instead.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
saltwater sensei
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, we're off tonight, at an ungodly hour, for the west coast.

I've stripped my tackle bag, which I'd only just recently filled with warm water, freshwater gear, down to the bare minimum of stuff which may aid me in my quest for alpine, cold water fishes [6,000+ ft of elevation and 1,500ft at its deepest]. Pretty much only some extra line, bobbers and my tools left in there.

Sure... I put a few warm water, freshie lures in there (even though I've learned they'll do no good on trout and salmon) just 'cause it was looking all empty and stuff.

Hopefully I'll have something to say about Lake Tahoe, and its environs, upon my return. I have a multi year, return fisherfolk vacationer, as a guide as it happens.

Seems like OGF needs someone, anyone, with Lake Tahoe and alpine lake fishing in general, info based upon the reply count to my OP. Which was ZERO if anyone but me was counting. :p

There were a few dozen looky-lou's in here reading my OP so it seems that at least a few were interested in the topic...(probably search engine spiders or something)

I'll probably be BOSS or something upon my return with the wealth of knowledge I'll be bringing back from them thar hills! ;)

·
saltwater sensei
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from Northern California and the Sierra's.

This is a placeholder to remind me to follow up and do a fishing report.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts