close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lake sturgeon

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by willy, Jun 9, 2007.

1. willy

willy no boat

well the squeezebox did it again.......
    went down to the CEI wall to go fishing for a bit and enjoy the sunset ( beautiful night after the storms passed). We were only there for about 30 - 45 min and the fishing had been really slow according to the other peeps I asked (it was packed when we got there) and the wind was really picking up so we were gonna bag it for the night and bam, she gets a hit (only bite since we got there) I went to go grab the net out of the jeep behind us 10 sec later I get a hit so she grabs it and is trying to manage two fish on two rod then her cell phone starts ringing (I was ROFL while this was happening, watching her trying to juggle two fish on two poles while grabbing for her cell), so i grab the net from the jeep and then grab my rod, then hold onto mine while trying to net her fish over the wall, first glimps and I thought she had a walleye from the shape (its was dark out then) but I brought it up and it was a 2.5 -3 foot (no tape with us) Lake sturgeon. Never seen one caught before in person and she had no idea what it was, a couple peeps there kept saying wow it looks like a shark! it looks like a shark!!!
    Pretty kewl fish, and a great fighter, of course it was released unharmed after a couple snaps with the cell phone (I will post them when i figure out how to).
    So then.....
    were back home chillin at the bonfire and Mr Classic (WNCX) comes on and says hes got free tickets for caller 11 and 13, and dont you know it she calls and is number 13.
    by the way, my fish was a sheephead...8/

2. very cool! tell me you got a picture!
    BB

3. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

They are related to sharks.

4. I would love to see the pics! Great catch anyways.

5. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I can't wait to see the pics! It always is great news to hear of one being caught... and released quickly! Really hope you get the pics figured out as it isn't every day you get to see an endangered species. Gratz once again, that's one species on my life list that I may never get - or at least likely won't get in Ohio.

6. willy

willy no boat

they are just from a cell phone so they are not very good -

Attached Files:

7. Very cool fish. I have always wanted to catch one, it is like looking at a dinosaur.

8. incredible catch, did you report it to the dnr, i think they ask to have them reported so they can try to get a slight idea on where they are and populations ect. im really jealous the only ones i have ever seen were in a hatchery

9. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Very incredible indeed! The pics are good enough to tell what it is... heck of a memory I'm sure!

You can see a real nice sturgeon caught in the Maumee River several years ago on my site - just click on "special catches". Member babysturgeon from this site is the guy that caught it. Was truly impressive.

10. wow that is a catch there numbers are critically low so to catch one is amazing congrads!

11. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Excellant catch, 1 phone in the hand is equal to 2 fish in the Lake..LOL

I would at least inform DNR, just to help with updated info for em.

12. Very cool.I saw a guy catch one about the same size last spring in the Ashtabula river.

13. WOW. I've caught alot of different fish, but nothing like that. I used to work for ODNR, and they are very interested in reports of lake sturgeon. Give them a ring and some info, they will appreciate it.

14. willy

willy no boat

We sent an email to the ODNR with the info and a link to the pics in this thread

15. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

I have caught many in the Columbia river Oregon/Washington border where they have an excellent hatchery program. It's a shame they don't do the same here. They are great sport fish.

16. Erterbass

Erterbass Ohio Angler

I saw an In-Fisherman or North American Fisherman show (can't remember which..) this past winter/late spring about sturgeon and they talked a lot about their lifespan.

Now these fish may have been a different species from the one caught by Willy (river vs. lake sturgeon?) but according to the show these fish at a 4 to 5 foot length are somewhere between 80 to 100 years old :eek: On top of that they spawn just once every few years.

So Willy, you may have caught a fish that is as old as my mother-in-law :eek:

Bob

17. Nice fish. It seems like they are really making a comeback. Isnt that like the 4th or 5th report on here this year?

18. ...thank heaven they are a protected speicies in the great lakes! Nice pic ... I had one not hooked but breach out of the water in the ocean in Maine that made me move .. lol ..