close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lake St. Clair Smallmouth

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by rutty, Jun 28, 2007.

1. rutty

rutty Cowboy Charters

Anyone had any luck with the smallmouth lately. I am planning on fishing Sunday on Lake St. Clair for the smallmouth and just wondering if anyone has done any good lately.

2. Was there ver the 17th and caught smallies on tubes and white spinnerbaits over the grass in 6' to 9' FOW. No grass NO fish. Caught most of the fish in the "Miles" area out of crocker ramp. Largemouth bite is hot in the canals on watermelon seed lizards

Let Em Live

3. rutty

rutty Cowboy Charters

thanks for the report. That is where I was going to start was the "miles" area then head into the channels.
    I am strictly C&R when it comes to bass, so they will live!

Did you have any size to the fish, or where they the normal "miles" aread fish....2-3lbers?

4. What is the "miles" area? I will be launching at that ramp in the near future and it will be my first time on the lake, any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

5. rutty

rutty Cowboy Charters

The "miles" area is what the locals call the area on the lake in front of the mile roads. People fish the area in front of 8 and 9 mile roads for example. This area will be around 6-12 deep with lots of weeds.
    If you go out there, you can't miss it, just follow the pack of boats. It isn't uncommon for there to be 20-50 bass boats in that area.

It is a short run from MetroBeach boat ramp and you catch a lot of smallmouth. they usually aren't tournament winning fish, but they are fun to catch. The pressure is pretty good on them year round in that area.

6. rutty

rutty Cowboy Charters

Fished St. Clair yesterday. The waves were good 3 footers. Stayed in Michigan water all day, mainly around the "miles" area, ended up catching 16 smallmouth and 3 largemouth and 1 walleye. Nothing to get excited about though, only had 2 keepers out of the 19 fish. One 2.5lber and the other 4.2 lbs. I could not get on a big fish bite. The water was clear, fished in anwhere from 4ft of water to 13 FOW.

Probably will be back on Wednesday to try again. They had a big mayfly hatch on Saturday night that didn't help the bite out much.