Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Multi Species Angler
6,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I made my very first trip up to Lake St Clair last Friday. If anyone is interested I posted the video for the trip in the Out of State Fishing Reports thread (won't post here as I don't want to spam it all over). Anyway, I thought a discussion about musky fishing up there would be a good topic to keep ongoing!

Our trip was awesome! Started casting and had 3 follows, but mostly lazy. Then, my uncle who has had several surgeries including both shoulders replaced said he wanted to troll. Well, we went 8 for 10 with a couple over 42". Pretty awesome for post cold front conditions with lots of grass all over the lake!

Have you fished that lake? Like it? Don't like it? Too far? What's your take on it? As for me, I can't wait to go back up there and try it again!!!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
A friend and I fished it several times back in 2018 or 2019. We like it a lot but it is a ways for us. Too far for a day trip and the re is not a lot of lodging with parking for boats. The one place we liked is now a retirement community. Navigating Detroit is not for the squeamish especially if you follow the road work detours that route you just off 7 Mile.

The lake is great in my opinion. Tremendous musky and smallmouth fishery. You can run for miles, all the way to Canada or fish right off the west shoreline. Clear water, muddy water. Weeds everywhere. With lots of fish.

I’d like to go back and plan to do so before too long.

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,542 Posts
My story is similar to MuskyFan's...early in my St Clair experiences 2005-2008 (non-musky fishing) - we would launch around the 8 or 9 mile area and stayed in a motel within walking distance of a fantastic barbecue place, went up 2 years in a row and smashed the smallies & largemouth. During those trips we also caught a couple pike and a couple small muskie. Back then, I was not scared of my 14ft beat up alum Lund from getting vandalized because it was a tin can with a beat up 25hp Evinrude..lol ..

Years later I went with a veteran Muskie troller in his decked out Lund and we launched & stayed Canadian side (I think Belle River area) and we fished for maybe 8 hours TOTAL in 2 days (he was killin me!, never seen anybody want to spend so much time in a restaurant NEXT to such a great fishery! LOL)- we caught 10-11 muskie, I never fished anywhere like it before where you could put a lure on...Loki / Monster Shad/ Tuff shad...and within 30min, if you were marking fish..BAM! Fish on. For me it was Muskie heaven.
i even remember calling a couple bites off fish finders twice! Those fish would hit and launch themselves into the air- everytime. I think our biggest was only 39"

Now I have my own 21' boat all rigged to go up there and Covid/shot requirements have me staying away...maybe in a few years...?

If I lived closer, I don't think I would fish anywhere else for any species! It has everything.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been eyeballing boat upgrades for either 2023 or 2024. I don't think I want to go crazy with it, but I do think I'd like to have something that I could take out on that lake, and if the weather got knarly, I could get off the water relatively quickly! Maybe a 18 ft Crestliner deep v with a 90 or 115. I'd consider an Alumacraft as well. Seems the Lunds and others in that size and HP range get too pricey! It would be nice to have a place to stay and feel like the rig will be alright, Definitely hard to run up there for a day trip!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
We used to fish LSC a couple weeks a year back in 2012- 2016, we always fished out of Belle River. Man that lake can get nasty in a hurry, it was not uncommon to have 15-25 musky days out there. As we learned from some locals over time there was much more than just going out and start trolling, there were areas on the lake that year to year always held more fish than others. they talked about fishing contour lines and anyone who has been there knows its like a sandy fish bowl with little open lake structure, but once we started using our graph to follow the " contour changes" we started doing much better. The locals also talked about muskies of the same year/class of fish would hang out together, so after a few trips of just having a blast and catching them all day it became a hunt for big fish and we would fish an area and if the fish we were catching were all the same 38 to 40 inchers we would leave to find bigger fish. Great Fishery! Then I caught the walleye bug on lake Erie and I haven't been back, but we have been talking about going back next year.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's easy to get across Ambassador bridge, been over many times this year. I didn't cross on Sunday though

I launched in Detroit River on the north end (St. Jean boat launch) and just boated to belle river area.

I would have done even better but picked up at 2:30pm to beat the Lions game traffic getting out at 4. I wanted to get out of there pulling a boat

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,542 Posts
Cat Power- you may want to try higher speeds next time... I'm guessing the water temps are still mid 70's?
But we were over 4 most of our trip, I know the Boss shads will handle it. in the past years Ive heard of guys up near 6mph

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cat Power- you may want to try higher speeds next time... I'm guessing the water temps are still mid 70's?
But we were over 4 most of our trip, I know the Boss shads will handle it. in the past years Ive heard of guys up near 6mph
I tried up to 4.2. It's so hard pulling TX44 boards at that speed. I also have to run on my 300 Yamaha to do that. I don't mind doing that, I just have to check my oil level a lot, because it makes oil when trolling like that

I'm going this weekend with my downriggers on to run bucktails, so maybe I will pick it up a little.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Our guide up there ran mostly 3.8 - 4.0 pulling both bt and cranks. I've caught fish on Alum up to 4.4 pulling cranks. I've never felt good trolling at speeds of 4.5 and up, but if I was on LSC more I'd probably do it more because that lake is just different!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts