Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m not sure if this is the right spot for this but I am hoping to do a trip up to Lake Sinclair to target musky. I have a 24-foot trophy I am happy to take up there but other than watching youtube videos I am very much a novice when it comes to targeting musky. It seems like there is a good population up there and was hoping to get some feedback from people who have experience. Do you think I should get a charter or try things on my own? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are are you launching from ? I have fished it a lot. Can help you out if you want to start on your own. Its not that hard to catch one if your willing to troll.

Thanks - I would be driving up from Lorain, Ohio where my boat is currently docked. I've been doing some research on where to launch and grab an air BnB. I have a few large musky lures that I have bought over the years. I sometimes run them when I'm fishing Lake Erie. You'd be surprised what a walleye will hit.

I'm open to suggestions on the launch though. I'm off every weekend and havent been doing much but fishing Lake Erie and working on the house. It's only a 3 hour trip

I

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,510 Posts
Canadian waters is where it's at, not sure if they are open yet but don't think so and musky on the CA side doesn't open till June.

Yes, you can go up there and drag around some baits but if you want to see how st clair style musky fishing is done right, book a charter, you will learn a ton.

·
Registered
584 Posts
the way the situation is now with covid it would prolly be easier to go on a charter...they will know the rules like if your even allowed to fish there...their pretty strict on things like coming and going...your going to need a passport

·
Registered
663 Posts
Take a charter an cast for them, it's tough be way more gratifying. It's the chase an the hunt when it comes to musky, then handling them after ya land them is important to the fish.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I"m not sure if this is the right spot for this but I am hoping to do a trip up to Lake Sinclair to target musky. I have a 24-foot trophy I am happy to take up there but other than watching youtube videos I am very much a novice when it comes to targeting musky. It seems like there is a good population up there and was hoping to get some feedback from people who have experience. Do you think I should get a charter or try things on my own? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would get a Ontario permit they fish the flats and weed past shipping channel drop weights with musky spinners on releases of big boards and some body baits in prop wash watch for weeds on lures and good luck in fall it’s Easter fish light house point and river slam fest on right day

·
Registered
20 Posts
Charter if you want to reel in the captains fish or buy 4 musky hard baits 6 musky spinners and use your walleye boards and rod holders and walleye rods and some snap weights and put weights 50 feet from spinner and 50 more feet clip to release send down the planer board line you will get fish

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,510 Posts
Charter if you want to reel in the captains fish or buy 4 musky hard baits 6 musky spinners and use your walleye boards and rod holders and walleye rods and some snap weights and put weights 50 feet from spinner and 50 more feet clip to release send down the planer board line you will get fish
Better have some beefy walleye stuff because even with my tekota 700s and ugly stick tigers made for saltwater, cranking in a double 10 or 12 with a few oz of lead at 4.0 150 back from an outside line off a big board cleaning weeds every few minutes is a chore. Walleye gear and reels are not productive for st clair IMO, alot of reels won't even hold a bait withou creeping, at musky speeds alot of strain is on reels, lines, etc.

I fish Clair and have the right stuff, walleye stuff stays at home, it's not up to the task.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Better have some beefy walleye stuff because even with my tekota 700s and ugly stick tigers made for saltwater, cranking in a double 10 or 12 with a few oz of lead at 4.0 150 back from an outside line off a big board cleaning weeds every few minutes is a chore. Walleye gear and reels are not productive for st clair IMO, alot of reels won't even hold a bait withou creeping, at musky speeds alot of strain is on reels, lines, etc.

I fish Clair and have the right stuff, walleye stuff stays at home, it's not up to the task.

·
Registered
20 Posts
King salmon will run circles around them musky I used 4 pound test on dick swan noodle rods in 80s on Lake Michigan for spring kings a diver or planer board rod is fine you get leads right weeds aren’t that bad 150 worth of tackle I can go and hammer them in any lake you have to get the right lures perch pattern crank a gold spinner a couple silver spinners go fish people who need thousands in lure are perfect to buy custom colors on bandits

·
Boat name: Reelin n Dealin
687 Posts
The honest truth is you can make muskie fishing up there as simple or as complex as you want. I used to go up this time of year every year in the mid - late 2000’s.
We caught many many muskies (I am talking between 45” - 52” fish) on medium heavy bass tackle running 30 lb braided line and a J14 floating Rapala in fire tiger or perch pattern about a cast length behind the boat. Troll around 3mph to as fast as that bait will track true and you will be in business.
Also, have friends that head up there with $10,000 worth of dedicated muskie gear and also catch fish consistently.
I do totally agree with the comment earlier that a King Salmon will destroy your walleye gear wayyyyyy faster than a musky ever will. good luck up there. Nothing like the rush of hooking up with your first big St Clair musky!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You definitely don’t need to run all the way to CA to find musky in LSC. Especially not on the first trip. A good number and size are not much further than a mile off the west shoreline south of metro park. And you don’t need a passport on the MI side. It is highly recommended if you’re going to be anywhere near the CA border. You’re good if you don’t drop anchor, hit land or break down. If not, the fines are steep.

The”catching season” starts in June in MI but you can’t go up there yet due to the restrictions of the bobble head in the governors house. The way things are going, she won’t open the state until winter. And if you do get to go before the season opens be careful about letting on your musky fishing. Some locals don’t like that we can CPR and may take it out on your parked rig (been told that by the locals).

Anyway, I digress. We caught fish on our first trips up there last year. Yes, the biggest came from open water near the CA line but we caught many just offshore. You don’t even need to use your trolling motor if the wind is right. Just drift fish. Just a good a chance of catching as trolling a lot of times.

Blades and rubber seem to rule most times but trolled Crankbaits work the best, at times.

Once Madam Hitler opens the lakes, be careful of the wind and the other 25,000 boats that will be out like a swarm of mosquitos. If LSC is anything like CC the last few weeks it will be a wild ride the first few weekends.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You definitely don’t need to run all the way to CA to find musky in LSC. Especially not on the first trip. A good number and size are not much further than a mile off the west shoreline south of metro park. And you don’t need a passport on the MI side. It is highly recommended if you’re going to be anywhere near the CA border. You’re good if you don’t drop anchor, hit land or break down. If not, the fines are steep.

The”catching season” starts in June in MI but you can’t go up there yet due to the restrictions of the bobble head in the governors house. The way things are going, she won’t open the state until winter. And if you do get to go before the season opens be careful about letting on your musky fishing. Some locals don’t like that we can CPR and may take it out on your parked rig (been told that by the locals).

Anyway, I digress. We caught fish on our first trips up there last year. Yes, the biggest came from open water near the CA line but we caught many just offshore. You don’t even need to use your trolling motor if the wind is right. Just drift fish. Just a good a chance of catching as trolling a lot of times.

Blades and rubber seem to rule most times but trolled Crankbaits work the best, at times.

Once Madam Hitler opens the lakes, be careful of the wind and the other 25,000 boats that will be out like a swarm of mosquitos. If LSC is anything like CC the last few weeks it will be a wild ride the first few weekends.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts