close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lake Ontario

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by fish reaper, Jun 28, 2004.

1. I went to Lake Ontario saturday and sunday to try for the 1000 a day derby.We started trolling at the north west united states border line.Picked up two nice steelies on cut bait\dipsey rigs in 400 ft of water.The seas were rough from the north west, so we trolled east all day, ending up in olcott.Pulled two lake trout, one brown,and three salmon,nothing of any great size.Sunday the big lake was even bigger, speed was all over the place,after two hours we bailed.Lets hope for calmer seas next time.

2. catking

catking Banned

That doesn't sound like alot of fun :eek: Big waters........I don't know. Better luck next time ;) THE CATKING !!!

3. Hi Fish Reaper,
    Do you know anything about the Niagara River, and corresponding Salmon run in the early fall? I am considering a trip to give it a try, and have been running it over in my head since spring. My biggest issue is that I have only a 13.5ft aluminum boat (semi-V) with a 15Hp motor, so I doubt I could go out on Lake Ontario itself unless it's right at the mouth of the river with a south wind. Some say I can do it, and others say I'm nuts.
    Any thoughts?

4. We traveled up to Oswego and hit Lake Ontario Friday and Saturday. The problem was, according to my father in law (Liquid Plumber), was that all the bait went away when the cold water came in. Therefore everything slowed down. No one was cathing anything. We were totallt bummed out Friday, but Saturday came and we did much better. I caught the 20 King pictured below. We also caught a brown and one disappointing release. So, better than nothing. So much meat came off the King, it won't fit in my fridge.

Everyone had a bummer fishing weekend, but Harborfest was fun and I look at catching one good fish better than nothing. I would have even released him if I had not killed it by the time if was landed. No big deal, but enjoy the pic. The pic was taken in front of Larry's Salmon Shop in Oswego. God bless.

5. Heard it was rough up there. Maybe next time, Michael. The big salmon should start moving in pretty soon, 3 or 4 weeks.

6. i am heading to point breeze in orleans county in the 2nd week of august. we get in the rotary derby. last year we landed 2 20lb kings and many over 15lbs. we also landed several 10+lbs steelhead.

7. I just got back from Point Breeze, fished a whole day, one evening, one morning. Did real well. Boated 5 20# class 4 year old kings, a 12# coho, a few 15# steelhead, and many skippers.

We got smoked by a BIG fish. He took 450' of leadcore without even slowing down! Tightened the drag to the breaking point, and it broke loose. After reeling 10 colors plus backing and leader back in, we saw it wasn't the line or the knots that had failed, but the split ring attaching the hooks to the NK spoon had broken!

It was a great trip though. There is a fishing website abouut the Oak and the charters, look there for great tips.