Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys going and where? First trip for me is this weekend, I'll get up a couple more times as well I've gotten a couple PM's already and I usually hook up with OGF'ers when we are up there to have a meal or at leas tell fishing stories over a chilly one.

Let me know!

Kevin

·
Registered
371 Posts
as we discussed on the other board, our group is heading up the 19th - 21st of next month. I can't wait! got 2 riggers and the dipsy/board rods. any other rigs that you would recommend? is it worth putting together a copper rod or two for just one trip?

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as we discussed on the other board, our group is heading up the 19th - 21st of next month. I can't wait! got 2 riggers and the dipsy/board rods. any other rigs that you would recommend? is it worth putting together a copper rod or two for just one trip?
You can if you want they are worth having, I'm going to buy one in the next couple of weeks (I always borrow one to take) I have and always run a 10 color core knot in the water down the shoot, it always pulls fish, sometimes it fires non stop, sometimes just early and late but I will say it is usually good for the biggest fish of the day, expecially with a glow mag moonshine spoon (carbon 14 I have a couple other good ones too) first thing in the morning and right before dark. If your fishing deeper than 60 ft the 10 color is only going to pull steelies than it's not worth running, it sucks reeling it in with a bullet on only to reset and catch another one. I like the 10 color early and late because a king will come out of temp early and late I'll often kill it mid day or late morning. However the temp has been high lately so it would be worth running it all day (temp changes day to day though). I like running the junk lines (copper and core) because they are just that, extra rods and they you get a big bite on them it's awesome. My biggest fish (27lb) came off 10 color first fish in the morning while the sun was coming up took me out to almost 800 and took forever to get it in the boat it was awesome. Coppers are kind of the same thing but coppers since they get deeper expecially the 400's they will sit in ice water all day and often save the afternoon with good bites, my buddy's swear by them. Some guys love copper some guys hate copper, I do think they are worth having and running. If you have alot of traffic don't both, I've been cut off when noobs have a big fish on and don't know how to keep a boat straight sometimes it's just not worth it, you don't want to tangle a junk line it'll be a costly misadventure. My bread and butter are my 2 wires and 2 riggers though the rest is just gravy.

I'm no expert at Salmon but also have put in enough time up there to figure out couple things to keep my rods moving every trip up there. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i'm a huge fan of full core's......as long as i'm not the one reeling them in lol. was just thinking copper so it would be a shorter lead and allow me to get more than 4 rods out. time to dust off the moonshine spoons and get ready!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I was on Spoonpullers yesterday and holy moly...you want to talk about big 'ole kings in 2011...wow..

DD..I've got a 6 color and and 8 color sitting on the shelf if you want to take them, and of course you would be welcome to my entire bag full of spin docs, flies, etc. etc.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm a huge fan of full core's......as long as i'm not the one reeling them in lol. was just thinking copper so it would be a shorter lead and allow me to get more than 4 rods out. time to dust off the moonshine spoons and get ready!
I always a have a "leadcore monkey" I never reel in the core unless of course it's a screamer :D. when the rod goes. Everyone just sits there and stares at and says who's taking it. LOL. If it keeps going I'll jump up and grab it. haha. The only good thing about core is the fish is usually beat tired and you can turn on the fish pretty good to help.

·
Registered
178 Posts
How far of a run from the ramp are you guys having to make to get on fish? Is it like going to the "buoy" in vermilion!??

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HAHA. Sometimes (expecially in Aug and Sept) I don't even get on plane. I just hang slightly east or west of the harbor just to get out of other guys way coming out and drop rods starting in 50 and crab out from there I usually have a fish on by the time I hit 75 FOW which is usually within 10 minutes, then slowly crab out from there. When temp is set up I always smash them in 75-250 it's less than 3 miles from shore. 17 miles would put you deep into Canada or if you went west from Olcott to the Niagara river.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are going up August 20th for sure. I'm also trying for the weekend before. Can't wait it's always a great time there.
I'll be there that weekend, Team Pursuit will also, I'm sure other guys will be as well.

Bags are packed, leaving after work today I can't wait!

BigaPapa. The 10 color is packed! I hope to beat 27. Biggest my boat has seen is 28 1/2 might have gone 29 live not sure how salmon loose weight dead or if they do, then two 27's. I'll see a 30+ one of these trips.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Kevin did you go this past weekend? I couldn't get any info out of DJ here at work.

John

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah we went, only ended up fishing saturday sunday morning it was screaming out of the northeast and 60 degrees vs saturday it was a mid 90's head index 103.

We boxed 5 good kings nothing over 20, 1 nice brown and some nice steelies. My speed and temp unit had a blown fuse and I didn't have any extra so we fished all morning without it and that hurt us, the bite died for us late morning as well as everyone else, started out good and ended just as fast as it started. Lake was rought started out as 2's but quickly built to 3-4's with some 5's so we where forced to make a couple long passes wind was blowing 20 out of the west, tough fishing but we caught some fish and had a blast as usual.

White on white was good in the morning, livewire with pro-am in the eve. We missed ALOT of fish off riggers, at least 15 knock offs that didn't end up connecting, riggers where jacked tight and brand new fly's not sure what the deal was, maybe some skips or small steel but 2 had alot of weight. Yellow gator took a king only king on a spoon.
Here is the big fish of the trip. Looking at it now (stolen from his FB page) i though it was a 17 it might be close to 20

Attachments

·
Lund 2075 Tyee
558 Posts
We fished Olcott last weekend as well. Thursday evening we did several steelhead and some small kings in 250' to 350' of water. Friday we did much better on the Kings. Had 5 Kings 20 and over and the biggest was 23.5 and 2 were mid teens. Lots of shakers on friday. Saturday we caught 4 kings in the mid teens and 2 nice browns around 9-10 pounds but nothing real big as far as kings and alot of shakers. Sunday it was a bust. Drank coffee at the picnic tables and watched some boats go out around 5:15 a.m. and return shortly thereafter. Will be back up August 18th and fish the weekend. I thought I saw kgone, guess it was him, I should have stopped over and said hello.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw a grey truck with an OGF sticker in the parking lot was that you. Where did you see me at the ramp, the bar? I'll be there that weekend hopefully it's not a one day slow affair.

·
Gold Member
213 Posts
Kevin,

A good tip to avoid the dreaded "knock off" is to use a Blacks Release and set the tension well above what you think it should be. Many times even with larger fish we need to trip the release ourselves (kinda like when a small fish hits a board line and you need to whip the band off on the big boards) Keep an eye and don't load the tip as much as normally so you can see a shaker or smaller fish riding along. Although not a cure all for side slashers it does put most of the fish in the boat or at least gives you a good hook up until a bullet breaks water than it's up to the fish gods at that point. Heading up tomorrow @ 6AM, will be there until September 11th.

Good Fishing,
Capt. Tony

www.reelthrillcharters.net

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do run blacks and really like them this year I went to 13 torpedoes just got het and didn't paint them should I? What weights do u run? I
thought they we slashing to much and not crushing like usual I I've never had this problem also had alot of streakers on my graph but no bites. I almost went back to my round balls it seemed less streakers more biters with those or streak rigger rigger!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 20 of 26 Posts