Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished out of Olcott Saturday with Big Kev and Dennis (DJ) got on the water shortly after 6am Saturday. Set up in the mid 70’s just west of the harbor, it was slow for the first couple hours then we hit a nice king off the red barn in 150 FOW on a wire diver pulling a white crush glow spin doc/atomic/green crinkle on a 2 setting 180 back, DJ was up to bat first since he never caught one before he was in for a reel treat that fish went right at 19 pounds boy was he pumped and immediately hooked for the rest of his life, it was slow for the next few hours trolled out to 215 off the microwave (deepest we went all day) at 12:30 I switched up the wire to some spoons within 1 minute after putting a black/white holo taped NK mag brass back in the water at 190 on a 2 it takes off screaming I was up to bat for this fish I boat a healthy 23 pounder!

We continued to troll back and forth ALL day between 60 and 200 from the microwave to about 1 mile past the red barn for hours, Big Kev did take another keeper King off a rigger that hit 60 down on a Dew B spin doc and 42nd Fly and we also had at least 6 shakers we tossed back those all came on spoons I think as well as a brown that came on a slow turn on a green dot spinny on a glow green crinkle fly that got an early release just shy of the net..I think DJ was horsing it a little bit but it was pretty small and I would have done the same thing.

Evening came… I complained that the leadcore was a quiet fixture all day so I put on a Moonshine Carbon 14 it hadn’t been ran and It’s a favorite of some of my friends off copper and core and I like running glow baits late and early in the day and about 30 minutes later it gets smoked real good, that leadcore combo never had a screamer on it yet and my backing was screwed up so after the fish ran awhile the backing was wrapped up inside itself and the spool gets caught! And came to a dead stop Big Kev gives me the look like what the F do I do, I tell DJ to turn the boat at the fish so he turned the boat toward the fish and the line was slacked and though it was gone, Kev’s cranking as fast as can, next thing you know, it’s starts screaming again! And again Fish on still!, I’m thinking this is nuts,, the fish must have stopped with it and bee lined right for us and we thought it snapped off but didn’t, this battle lasted at least another 10-15 minutes, he played that fish near the boat FOREVER and couldn’t get him close to the net he just kept getting away from us but we finally got him, one of the craziest fights I’ve witnessed, fish went 22 pounds in 78 FOW, off the Red Barn again.

So we all got to reel in a Mature on Saturday, plus another small keeper, a bunch of shakers, the early release brown, 2 shots on wires that didn’t buckle up, 6 knockoff so it was a pretty decent day IMO for still being pretty new at king fishing, especially the mature per guy that’s the goal IMO and it worked out great.

Sunday we were slow moving to wake up (15 hours we put in on Saturday) and tear down camp in the morning, we ended up fishing 2 hours and just when we where about to call it after seeing lighting we took one nice fish in the high teen range on a glow Michael Jackson in 76 FOW off the barn again, nice to get 1 final fish in before heading home, DJ was up to bat so he got to crank that one in as well, glad he got two fish being the rookie at salmon fishing.

The bad part about the trip was Saturday some lady clipped the crap out of the front end of my truck in the parking lot and darn near tore my bumper completely off my Trailblazer SS, that SUCKED seeing that after coming in from a good day of fishing, she reported it though so that was the good part of that ordeal, no broken tackle and no lost fish either!

Had a great time with Kevin and DJ looking forward to teaming up for some more action in the future with them, they know there way around the boat with the best of them, never a dull moment either. Good stuff all the way around! I had a blast.

Here are some choice pics from both my camera and Big Kev’s. Headin back this weekend with Papascott and a couple other good friends for some more screaming action on Lake O.

What’s a walleye!!!

Attachments

·
2100 FishMaster
649 Posts
WTG Kevin and crew! Those are some beauties. I usually make an annual trip over to Lake Michigan for a Charter (6 person) to get a mixed bag of Kings, Steelies, and Lake trout.:D They have some big pigs like those. You are allowed 5 of them in any combination. We all go home with like a 40-50 lb bag of filets each! Glad you got some nice ones!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Kevin

We did ok last week, fished 4 out of the 5 days. West wind was hollowing most of week, Monday afternoon was nice we started about 4:30 and caught a couple kings and 3 steelhead. Kings aroung 18-20lbs. tuesday was rough could only troll with waves caught 1 king the first hour and then a couple small skips and some steelhead. Wednesday was a blow day went golfing at Ricci on Rt. 98 nice course and they let you take out your own beer.(only if they knew we had about a 12 pack each LOL) Thursday we followed Bobby from Sunrise charters and hooked up two quick kings inside 90' both on a wire dipsy 42nd spin doctors 42 fly out 220 ft. Waves pick up again. Thursday night we had big king on the mono side dipsy out 250 ft. handed off the rod to Dominic who went brain dead on us, he started unscrewing the reel telling us it was loose, we kept tell him he was going the wrong way, next thing you know the reel fly's off the rod I catch it in mid air fight the rod out of his hands(A hole would not let go) screw the reel back on set the hook, fish is still somehow still on hand him back the rod to watch him baby this thing in, we hit a couple big waves fish gets a bunch of slack and heads for Canada. I guess this is a new way to do catch and release. Friday was another blow day, Tried making it out to the 25 -26 line and fished back in. caught a couple small skips off the riggers and headed in at 11:00 to go home, We did ok, would have done better if the waves were not as bad, and if we could have left Dom at home. (But it is his boat)

I will try to post pictures later.

Torch

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It's been over 10 years since I had the pleasure of fishing Ontario at Olcott. Hearing about the Red Barn and the Microwave brought back some good memories. Thanks for the report and nice going on the Kings.15 hour day?,man you guys are some fishing son of a guns.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Nice job guys! Kevin you say the musky's stink! LOL :D

I have seen it all now........... riggers on a ranger. :) It looks like it worked great....... seriously that is a nice set-up. I may try to go with Mike this weekend. My wife has something on her schedule. I may have to barter for it.;)

I love Olcott. In the mid 80's I would go up there 6 weekends straight to fish the ESLO events there and listen to the Browns beat up the Steelers on the radio while fishing. Man those days are gone but the fish seem still to be biting! ;) I could live there in a heartbeat. The river is loaded with pike. Fun to cast for them off the docks on blow days.

John

·
Registered
414 Posts
Awesome Guys! Thanks for the story. It always nice to feel you were there by reading the story told.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Fished out of olcott on 7/31. We were out @ 340* about3 miles out of the channel mouth. Set downriggers @ 60-70 ft, all hit was anything with black and purple spoons. Took most shakers on dipseys, back 80-100, running about 40 ft deep. Managed a few nice kings. Started fishing in 240 ft out to 300 ft deep water, nothing deeper than 60, a few takers @ 40'. Was fishing with Sea Dog Charters. That Bob, He's a heck of a guy. Gotta thank him for the great day. Was limited out for 4 of us by noon. Gonna give it a go next year, same time. Mike

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Way to go on those fish! Don't know what it has to do with Erie maybe you brought them back to get them going here. Don't we wish they were here. Fished there back in the 90's and the biggest was over 35lbs. It was worth getting divorced over.:D Thought about taking it up again but don't need another addiction. I know what you went through having to turn back on the fish and thinking they are gone. My biggest took half an hour and every time I'd gain he would peel me back out and have to start over again. Awesome fishing guys.

·
Tom B.
3,899 Posts
Kgone: Nice to hear you guys did well. Hope your next trip is the same or better. Shame about your truck.

Torch, fishin2: Good to hear about your catches as well.

Can't wait for our trip to Frankfort in two weeks.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Kevin and crew,
man sounds like a blast! I love it when you speak "salmon-ese" :)

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
Nice Kevin,

I leave in less than two weeks for Point Breeze. We are really looking forward to the trip

·
Registered
656 Posts
went out for a 2 and half day trip last week in Olcott. Caught 22 kings and 6 steelies. Been going up there for 8 years and thats the best we have ever done. What a trip. Going back in a month. Nailed a fair ammount of 20+lb kings. They have an impressive fishery up there

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Nice fish guys! Man, I gotta make time to get back up there again. Those black jawed rascals are FUN to catch!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Glad you guys got into some kings. Fish Sat. 8/8 with same charter as Fishin 2. Fished out farther all the way to border. Unfortunately only 1 mature king hook up that came unbuttoned after 10 minutes. Did manage a 5 man limit of coho and steelies. One day isn't enough for sure. Planning for 2 day trip next year.

·
Registered
524 Posts
This post is not helping me none. When I was at the sports show I could of booked a charter for that area and time. How ever I did not because I did not have any "for sure" people willing to go so I did not book. So NOW after reading post this I can kick myself in the pants. Next seasons plan will be to book a charter myself and if anyone goes ok, if not I'm going anyway!!!:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts