Lake Nippising ONT. winter trip

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Tinman, Dec 20, 2008.

1. I'm heading to Lake Nippising Jan. 12th for four days of ice fishing.
    I know that quite a few of you have posted about your warmer weather trips there, but was wondering if anyone has made this trip in the winter before?

2. we have been there the last 3 years,fishing has not been that good..and the Walleye slot length sucks,,we have been there in January and February

3. iwdavefish

iwdavefish Fishin' Fanatic

I've icefished there several times. What part of the lake are you headed to?

4. Callander, Gull Island area. This will be my first time there but I am going with two canadian friends that go often. I have fished Simcoe with them and am looking forward to this trip. Have you had good experiences there? I prety much know what to expect but was interested to hear of anyone else experience there.

5. we fished out of South Bay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/url

6. roger23, thanks for posting the pics. What is the water clarity like? Can you use underwater cam there? I've heard that compared to the tap water clear water in Simcoe, it's not worth taking the cam along.

7. last year they had rain a couple weeks before we went ,,,visibility was about 12 inches.the years before that maybe 2 feet ..we fished in 14 to 28 feet of water ..walleye were on the bottom perch seemed to be all over the place,,we had a camera but where we were the current made it hard to keep it steady ,,,we gave up on it ..

8. iwdavefish

iwdavefish Fishin' Fanatic

The water tends to have some color to it even in winter. We never take a camera with us. Our outfitter says not to bother. We go with Angler's Haven on South Bay. It's always a good time. The walleye fishing can be fast or slow, depending on year, but we always get some and some nice perch too. I like chasing pike with tip-ups and a big chub.

9. we stayed here 3 winters ,,it is under new owners now I don't know how they are ....fishing in the summer has been great winter has not been good ,,it is just a winter get a way for 9 of us,,,a lot of been and cards...