close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lake New Orleans

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by esox, Aug 28, 2005.

1. A category 5? 50,000 dead? ALL utility poles and wood frame buildings gone? New Orleans under 20 fow? Industrial capacity gone, (including 25% of our oil producing/refining capacity?
    35,000 are allready refugees at the bowl/stadium. 100% humidity, 90 degress. Power will be gone, for several weeks, in a few hours if not before. No food, no clean water.
    These are all predictons made by the National Weather Service in the event of a category 5 hitting New Orleans-and it's on the way.
    New Orleans, kiss your butt good-bye...

2. Well, considering I have a daughter, ex-wife, and lots of former relations, friends, etc. down there, I hope and pray it misses.

Lived there for 9 years, went through my share of hurricanes, but not like this.

Just because we divorced doesn't mean you stop worrying at times like this.

3. $3.50 a gallon, a damp basement, and another lost Wednesday of fishing is the worst I have to lose. I'll count myself fortunate and hope the best for those who are about to lose everything they have, including loved ones. History is in the making and it doesn't look good.

4. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

we have relatives north of there in rayville. It doesn't look good but hope the best for everyone down there and everyone that has family there.

5. Whats wild is it was a level 1 when it hit Florida. Now it is a level 5. What happened there? How did it get soooo strong so fast??

6. I know what you are saying. I did not watch the TV much over the weekend until last evening and they came on with the new flashes. That was the same comment we had. What caused such a buildup was that once it hit the Gulf it was running over 90° waters. It is just that I did not hear any projections of anything near that size.:confused:

Nevertheless, it is happening at this point.:( This is truly a sad event for many, many people. I pray for everyone's safety...there belongings can be replaced but the people cannot. I really hope that it does not surge to that extent into New Orleans. I have never been to New Orleans but have always thought it would be a neat area to visit at some point. Unfortunately if it comses ashore like the projections are now saying who knows whether it will ever be like the New Orleans of old.:(

7. I just read one of the updates this morning. Thank God that the storm weakened a bit overnight and turned eastward thus sparing New Orleans somewhat. It is still going to do major damage but not near what it may have.

8. We're hoping it misses N.O. We went to a wedding this summer and the newly married couple settled in "The Big Easy" because of schooling. They relocated to Baton Rouge for the storm and we are all hoping for the best for these two fine young people.

The thing about Mother nature, occationally she makes a damn fool out of the weather people. We're hoping she does this time and spares N.O. Meteorology is the only career I know where you can be dead wrong and get away with it. lol

9. My in-laws live in Baton Rouge and I just talked to them. They got some high winds and lots of rain but overall they are doing ok. They still had power at 11:00. They lost some siding but overall they were spared the brunt of the storm. They did say that a hotel in Harvey La. caved in.

10. Our corporate headquarters is in Jackson, MS. They have ceased all operations and sent everyone home at 12:00. We have a refinery in Vicksburg, MS and many terminals along the gulf coast. All of us up here in the northern states are very worried about our counterparts down south.

11. A co-worker of mine was just telling me that things are really ugly down there right now. There were reports of water over the top of trucks near Lake Ponchartrain which is nearly 30 feet above sea level.:( There have been unconfirmed reports of quite a few casualties as well. My heart goes out to everyone down there.

12. Well this will show the US who their real allies are. Anytime there is a disaster anywhere in the world the US is the first there to help. Lets see what country is going to step up and lend assistance. My bet would be none.

13. That is an interesting point, and one that is generally true. I was ready to say Great Britain will help, or perhaps Canada but I doubt they will help in any active way. I think they may show compassion but not many other countries come to the aid of others in these times.

14. You don't have to worry about the French...they are too busy trying to ruin Lance Armstrong. IF anyone does I'd guess Canada and the U.K. If they had the capacity I'd say Mexico...good political move. But I doubt it.

The couple I talked about above rode it out ok in Baton Rouge with some friends. They had no power but that was about it. Now I hear that the governor or maybe it was the mayor of N.O. doesn't want people to come back for a good 2 weeks. Wouldn't that be a killer? My thoughts and prayers are with all these poor folks that took this huge hit.

15. Well, we heard from that young married couples parents that there daugther and new son-in-law lost everything. Their place was fairly close to one of the levee's that broke and their apartment didn't have a chance. Now I heard that they most likely won't be able to get back in there for a month or more. She was attending Tulane and I think they cancelled the rest of the semester. I just can't imagine being in that situation. Having two good families behind them hopefully will get them back on their feet. What a bummer.

16. That is truly a sad story. And the worst thing about it is their story is nothing unique as there are literally thousands of other people in the same situation. As you said they have family behind them to get through it. They need to be thankful that they are some of the people that survived. I would suspect it will be years before that area remotely resembles what it once was and the historic sites that once were will never be replace.:(