Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going up to the Lake Milton and West Branch area this weekend for easter to visit with the Ladies family. I am a big Musky fisherman here in Central Ohio and have been wanting to check out fishing these (2) lakes. I will NOT have access to a boat and will be fishing from shore.

Down here in central ohio Alum Creek dam has an easy access spillway you can fish from. My question is the fishing good at either of these lakes spillways. Do these lakes even have a Dam recreation area. If so how where can I find good access from these spots, driving directions. I know lake maps are hard to find specific location of where to park.

Appreciate any help and for any of you who come down to central ohio area just pm and i can guide you in the right direction.

·
Fish fire food friends family
1,619 Posts
Westbranch dam. First picture is dam looking north. Second picture is dam looking south...she is about 1.75 miles long and right now from shore she is loaded with muskies ready to be caught. Imo your chances are good to hook up.

Good luck and happy Holliday.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Westbranch dam. First picture is dam looking north. Second picture is dam looking south...she is about 1.75 miles long and right now from shore she is loaded with muskies ready to be caught. Imo your chances are good to hook up.

Good luck and happy Holliday.
Good place to park?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
South end of the dam at WB.

Both dams have spillways that you can fish, but they aren't easy to access like the Alum Creek spillway park. Right now, the muskies are snacking on the spawning walleye at both lakes. West Branch is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great stuff guys! Do the lakes have walleye or saugeye?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there open access to the spillway at west branch or is it restricted access. If accessible is it worth fishing? Here is google earth shot I think this is it:

image.png
image.png

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Fishing is allowed at wb spillway, walk in from parking lot at the river to the spillway on Wayland rd or fish the dam for awhile then go down hill to the spillway, myself I'd stay at the dam .

·
1,619 Posts
Imo...the spillway at w.b. dam is the smallest of the northeast region...now I don't fish alot of spills so I could be........twisted. anyway if u go to w.b. dam this weekend the spill is right there go check it out...maybe grab sum minnows from marks bait tackle and toss sum. I will be out at da dam sunday night...the weather is crappy up till saturday afternoon ish...but the dam has been good to me atleast the last two years...just pound away...treat it like you will never be back...the picture came from the w.b. dam 4-11-14...holy...#$^7

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do big time Muskellunge fisherman consider Alum spillway as a challenge/hotspot?
Is it a challenge....maybe. The fish are all condensed in one area and sometimes 30 people are fishing it all at once. It's best if your trying to help someone get there first musky

Reactions: percidaeben

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imo...the spillway at w.b. dam is the smallest of the northeast region...now I don't fish alot of spills so I could be........twisted. anyway if u go to w.b. dam this weekend the spill is right there go check it out...maybe grab sum minnows from marks bait tackle and toss sum. I will be out at da dam sunday night...the weather is crappy up till saturday afternoon ish...but the dam has been good to me atleast the last two years...just pound away...treat it like you will never be back...the picture came from the w.b. dam 4-11-14...holy...#$^7
Any local tackle shops that carry a lot of musky gear, that's different than the basic cabelas crap

·
1,619 Posts
Mark's live bait-tackle and ammo on route 14 in ravenna. Motto - we stock everything for the inland, lake erie and MUSKY FISHERMAN.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Was also planning on heading out this weekend in the Yak. Want to try for musky again. Last time I went the water was still 37-39 degrees and the windy was blowing pretty good. Couldn't fish the dam. Nothing was biting in the bays. Are they starting to bite now?

·
Banned
716 Posts
Was also planning on heading out this weekend in the Yak. Want to try for musky again. Last time I went the water was still 37-39 degrees and the windy was blowing pretty good. Couldn't fish the dam. Nothing was biting in the bays. Are they starting to bite now?
I might be out there Sat. in my yak looking for walleye. I will stay in the no wake zone at the west end.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mark's live bait-tackle and ammo on route 14 in ravenna. Motto - we stock everything for the inland, lake erie and MUSKY FISHERMAN.
does this shop have artificial musky lures?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I was hoping to hit the dam for musky maybe some bays. Has the water come up any more? It was still pretty low when I was there a couple weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts