Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy fished a bass tournament on Lake Milton and it went off without any issues. It was a solo tournament, and I think they had around 30 boats. Winners had a little over 12 lbs, and my buddy took 3rd with just under 10 lbs. He posted some pics if your interested in seeing them. One thing of note he did say the water visibility wasn't too bad with about 15 inches.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fishtalkfishingreports/lake-milton-oh-5-23-20-t13666.html

·
Registered
208 Posts
My buddy fished a bass tournament on Lake Milton and it went off without any issues. It was a solo tournament, and I think they had around 30 boats. Winners had a little over 12 lbs, and my buddy took 3rd with just under 10 lbs. He posted some pics if your interested in seeing them. One thing of note he did say the water visibility wasn't too bad with about 15 inches.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fishtalkfishingreports/lake-milton-oh-5-23-20-t13666.html
12 lbs that's it. Got more weight then that at the branch yesterday

·
Registered
208 Posts

Good job !!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'm going to make my way back over to that lake this summer. Sounds like I may want to pick a week day because it gets pretty busy from what I've heard.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it? It's been 20 yrs since I've been on that lake. It's only 10 miles or so from home.
I was there a couple weeks ago and it seemed like a cool fishery, but didn't have time to explore it enough under those horrible conditions. Thanks for your input. Appreciate it.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,114 Posts
12 lbs is not bad for milton good job
Milton is a tough lake, very hard to catch decent bass. In my opinion.
Milton's bass heyday was after they fixed the dam and refilled the lake. All kinds of brush grew up in the basin, so there was plenty of cover for baitfish and bass. Plus, the ODNR had some "extra" stocker bass, so they stuck them all in Milton. Once that brush rotted away, the bass fishing got really tough.

When I fished it, it seemed pretty baron on the bottom. Not much cover for the fish. Maybe the south end has more weeds. Never made it past the bridges due to the wind.
When the lake was drained, I made several walking trips out there and drew my own maps. Very hard substrate in that lake. Mostly gravel and rock, with the occasional patch of pure sand. Very few mucky places with organic material to grow weeds.

I lost my home made maps years ago, but there are accurate ones available from the ODNR. Much more accurate than the ones the bait shops around there sold back in the day. You know the shallow hump out in the middle South of the Rt. 18 bridge? Those old maps showed that spot as being 40' deep!

Lake is more suited to walleye and crappie with the occasional smallie and muskie.

Reactions: bigbass201

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Milton's bass heyday was after they fixed the dam and refilled the lake. All kinds of brush grew up in the basin, so there was plenty of cover for baitfish and bass. Plus, the ODNR had some "extra" stocker bass, so they stuck them all in Milton. Once that brush rotted away, the bass fishing got really tough.

When the lake was drained, I made several walking trips out there and drew my own maps. Very hard substrate in that lake. Mostly gravel and rock, with the occasional patch of pure sand. Very few mucky places with organic material to grow weeds.

I lost my home made maps years ago, but there are accurate ones available from the ODNR. Much more accurate than the ones the bait shops around there sold back in the day. You know the shallow hump out in the middle South of the Rt. 18 bridge? Those old maps showed that spot as being 40' deep!

Lake is more suited to walleye and crappie with the occasional smallie and muskie.

Great information. Especially on the bottom make up of the lake.

·
OhioPro Lure
440 Posts

Thats for sure you could catch fish on any techniques you wanted I learned a bunch of things fishing that lake during that time Fished it about 3 days a week back in the day

1 - 18 of 18 Posts