Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Skunked Often
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is in there? I have heard... walleye, jumbo perch, tons of crappie, big bass, all kinda cats, etc. I've only been there a few times and last time I literally didn't even see a fish.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A few friends and I had a friendly bass tournament there last year. We all fished out of kayaks and all together we caught and released around 50 bass. Biggest bass landed was 18". I haven't hooked into anything to big there but I hear there are some nice bass in the lake. We also caught a couple nice crappie on bass lures. Last fall I over heard a guy at fin talking about a monster Walleye that he caught from Lake Medina.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Not sure who told you "Jumbo" perch but there are perch in there. The ones I've caught have been dinks. Crappies should be picking up soon if the warm weather holds. I fished it yesterday and was catching gills with a slip float at 8' down with a VMC wax tail jig and waxie. I personally haven't seen a walleye come out of there but I believe that they are in there. Bass are pretty good in numbers. You can find this lake pretty easily on Google Maps. You can access it off Rt. 18 by Yours Truly restaurant or off Granger Rd...and technically if you know anyone that has the blessing of living on that lake :)

·
Skunked Often
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's such a beautiful lake. Super clean water, lots of rock coverage. I need to get out to the middle in a paddle boat or something.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Catfish, bluegill, and bass are plentiful in there. Crappie fishing can be good in spurts. I've seen several walleye pulled out of there but I wouldn't call it a "good" walleye lake. Never caught or have seen any perch caught out of there. Not saying they don't exist in just saying I haven't seen any.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have caught largemouth out of there puking up stunted perch. Very few walleye. Never stocked in there officially and parks department said someone self stocked some years ago. If you catch one it will be big. Bass fishing isn't near what it used to be. I have seen tons of people take buckets of bass out of that lake. They basically don't enforce anything there. Not even the posted leash law for dogs. Constantly have people throwing balls or sticks in the water for there dogs and don't care if you are fishing. A certain segment of people know that they can get away with taking ng tons of fish out of that lake and it has shown the last couple of years. thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have caught largemouth out of there puking up stunted perch. Very few walleye. Never stocked in there officially and parks department said someone self stocked some years ago. If you catch one it will be big. Bass fishing isn't near what it used to be. I have seen tons of people take buckets of bass out of that lake. They basically don't enforce anything there. Not even the posted leash law for dogs. Constantly have people throwing balls or sticks in the water for there dogs and don't care if you are fishing. A certain segment of people know that they can get away with taking ng tons of fish out of that lake and it has shown the last couple of years. thanks
Cell phone camera and 1800 poacher if it's posted a certain regulations. Public lake by ne used to have 2 ppl pull this crap and it was regulated by the city and a call to them got us nowhere. Now odnr runs it.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Used to fish there 10 years ago when I worked out that way. Fished the private side while the subdivision was being built. Caught some decent bass in the bays. Caught one small walleye casting off a point in the spring. Lots of rock for them to spawn on. Never caught a crappie there, but then I didn't really try for them. Plenty of small gills in there. Would love to take a kayak out there.

·
Registered
990 Posts
It definitely has potential to be something more than what it really is....I have noticed they put a fishing line bin on top of the stairs which is nice. I think it's an excellent bass, channel cat, and crappie fishery but I would love to see some numbers of healthy perch and eyes come out of there with a little regulation. Also, a small boat ramp for those with canoes and kayaks would seem helpful. I see too many people struggling to pull up there rigs up over the rocks and concrete.

·
Angry hillbilly
1,243 Posts

·
Skunked Often
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It definitely has potential to be something more than what it really is....I have noticed they put a fishing line bin on top of the stairs which is nice. I think it's an excellent bass, channel cat, and crappie fishery but I would love to see some numbers of healthy perch and eyes come out of there with a little regulation. Also, a small boat ramp for those with canoes and kayaks would seem helpful. I see too many people struggling to pull up there rigs up over the rocks and concrete.
100% agree with this.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cell phone camera and 1800 poacher if it's posted a certain regulations. Public lake by ne used to have 2 ppl pull this crap and it was regulated by the city and a call to them got us nowhere. Now odnr runs it.
That is the big problem. Lake medina ( last I checked) was ran by medina parks and recreation. They have size and bag limit posted. When I called them multiple times about the poaching and dogs they didn't seem to care. I was out there for hours after I called and they never sent anyone out. It is what it is.

·
Skunked Often
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have heard people say the place gets poached pretty bad. Also heard a ranger say it was stocked with walleye. I Asked when and how many, he had no idea. Did not inspire confidence that it was in fact stocked.

If they had golf cart rentals to get around the trails and a decent dock, it'd be perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lake medina used to be a good bass lake. Now, there are mostly 12 to 14 inch bass. Too many people on the shore hauling bass out of there. And a few guys in boats/kayaks who call themselves bass fisherman taking bass out of there. The guy from the city who manages the lake is clueless about managing a fishery. What a waste.

·
Catch and Release
51 Posts
My buddy and I are hoping to hit this lake up Saturday in our kayaks. I had aspirations of buying one of those new fandangled Bluetooth sonars and mapping that place but I think we will just pitch out and see what happens. I've never fished there so here's hoping something bites and doesn't mind a quick picture before release :)

·
Skunked Often
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My buddy and I are hoping to hit this lake up Saturday in our kayaks. I had aspirations of buying one of those new fandangled Bluetooth sonars and mapping that place but I think we will just pitch out and see what happens. I've never fished there so here's hoping something bites and doesn't mind a quick picture before release :)
Let us know how you guys do.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Looks like somebody has half of it mapped on navionics. Doesnt look like much structure wise

1 - 20 of 55 Posts