Lake Logan tips/suggestions??

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by musikman43155, May 15, 2008.

1. musikman43155

musikman43155 TEAM PUNK

I'm new to this site and even more recently started fishing again after about a 3 year hiatus. Unfortunately, I can't say that I'm knowledgeable as far as fishing goes, I couldn't tell you when certain fish spawn, or what their feeding habits are on certain moon phases or anything, but, I'm trying to educate myself.

My favorite thing to use thus far on Lake Logan has to be jig head with a two inch grub tail cut to one. After two outings to the lake fishing off shore, I have caught about 12 fish. The first was a 8 1/2-9 inch bass, which seemed encouraging, but, from there on they got smaller. It was, however, a little annoying to see fish two or three times the size crashing the water 30 or 40 feet out from shore.

I don't anticipate fishing from a boat anytime soon, but I'm curious if anyone knows of some good spots or good lures to use. Most of the places I fished seemed rather weedy and causing quite the head ache.

Thanks in advance fellas!

2. From what I've gathered from previous tournaments that have been held on that lake. Weedless jigs have worked well. There's usually a tournament held there every Saturday. Here's a link to the results of the last one held there. The amount of fish caught wasn't too impressive on this day. Few photos are provided.

http://fishtalkfishingreports.yuku.com/topic/2206

If gas prices ever go down, I'll be headed down that way. If your over that way, your welcome to hitch a ride on my boat around the lake. Maybe we'll figure something out together.

3. musikman43155

musikman43155 TEAM PUNK

Wow, I looked @ the link and I never knew you could pull such fish out of Lake Logan! Perhaps it's because I use smaller jigs just to ensure I catch fish rather than using larger ones to tempt the larger fish in the lake?

I certainly appreciate the offer. I'll have to take you up on it sometime if I can't convince my ol' man to borrow his.

Are those tounaments catch and release?

4. musikman43155

musikman43155 TEAM PUNK

5. Musikman,

What area's of the lake have you fished? I'm actually thinking of hitting Lake Logan tomorrow morning, from shore that is. I usually catch anything from gills, catfish, saugeye, and crappie. I've been doing pretty good with using floating jigheads with minnow. If you see a Silver Honda CRV with OGF sticker on it, that'll be me.

Darryl

6. musikman43155

musikman43155 TEAM PUNK

I wasn't planning on being there in the morning, but, you never know.

I started @ the end furthest from Down's Bait, or the Walmart exit where the "land bridges" are and work my way towards the concrete parking area that juts out into the water 50 yards or so. I've not tried down by the dam or anything.

Everything I've caught has been tiny. Tiny bass, tiny blue gill, crappie and even what I believe was a tiny pike.

All of this was on a small jig with a 1" grub tail.

Good luck if I don't run into you, it's suppose to be rather rainy.

7. musikman43155

musikman43155 TEAM PUNK

What time do you plan on being there?

8. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

Most of the places I fished seemed rather weedy and causing quite the head ache.

If you are stuck on shore and you've got weeds to contend with. I would suggest pitching a 2.75-inch or larger tube presentation. You might be surprised at how thick of stuff you can work this bait through.
    The next time you're at the bait shop. Look for some straight tube baits & the proper worm hooks to attach them to. (Make sure to get the hooks that have the shelf on them.) Hook the tube weedless style with either no weight or an 1/8oz. slip sinker. And pitch it into the pockets of, or the thickest weeds you can find.

If you need anything else, fire me off an e-mail.

9. musikman43155

musikman43155 TEAM PUNK

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions JignPig Guide.

I just got my new Okuma Hardstone/Pro Guide rod + reel combo from Cabela's today and I can't wait to hit fish with it. I got the HS30 reel with 6'6 moderately-fast action. Seems really well built for $40.

Keep the suggestions/tips coming! I appreciate it!