Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the southland. Fished Lake Lanier Ga. on Wed. May 9th. Wow!! My friend and I had about two dozen spotted bass. They are a fightin bass for sure. Used mostly jerk baits and plastic lizzards. Beautiful weather. This place is huge. Fished a creek arm off the main lake that was larger then my Hoover dam lake in central Ohio. Of course while I was there I was thinking, "Wonder if their hitten at Alum or Hoover, am I missing out?". You sure are a lot better fisherman down south than you are here in Ohio.:D See you on the water.:G

·
Registered
397 Posts
I was at the Lake Lanier Islands for the start of stage 6 of THE TOUR DE GEORGIA cycling race. Beautiful looking area and lake, never seen so many boat dealers on the one road we traveled in on! And big/huge ones at that.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
This was my favorite vacation spot when I lived in Georgia. Highly recommended if you are looking for a great place to fish or camp. I didnt do very much fishing in the lake except for panfish with the kids but I used to love watching the walleye fishing boats at night from an area near the dam. I camped at one of the nearby tva campgrounds right on the lake and caught my limit of trout ( 8 per day ) in the river just the other side of the dam. Ive seen fisherman bring out rainbows that were so big they looked like salmon and Im not exaggerating one bit. I learned they stocked lake trout in the lake at one time but when they eventually stocked striped bass all the lake trout were eaten up by 'em. Im gonna miss that place.

·
Registered
979 Posts
i lived in atlanta from 1994-99 and fished lanier whenever i could. the striper fishing is something. one of those hits and you forget all about bass. they seemed like panfish by comparison. when we would fish 10-12" gizzard shad you could see em getting spooked when a big striper was closing in. if they hit, but missed the shad would look as if it had been fileted.

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
I too lived in Hot Atlanta 1983 to 1994 during my band days. Fish both Lanier and Altoona .Man those lakes are huge .Spotted bass were my fish of choice. Pumpkin seed do nothing worms were the bomb. Lived right on the Chatahooche river in the river bend appt. Would walk out back and catch trout on the fly rod .As for the strippers Tattle Tales or the Gold Culb was the place for me :) Oh my bad you were talking about the fish :eek: We would catch shad in a casting net and fish them at night under a balloon. Only caught three but what a blast Biggest being 23lb. Did better with the strippers LOL

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can relate to the "HOOCH". Fished it in the north Ga. mountains in Helen before I went down to Lanier. Nothing like catching trout in the middle of town and then walking up the bank for a "cool one".

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
Yeahh Forgot about Helen and the north Ga mountians ,This was back in my partying days .The mind sometimes needs a kick start . I remember catching native Brookies in a little tiny stream no wider than 5 foot across . Did you every shoot the HOOCH ?? . I wonder if you can still drag a cooler of cold ones behind your raft . That was the coolest river

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mike---shhhhhhh!!! Can't let on to any yankees about how neat a area that Helen is. Been going down there since 1980. You might say I'm a "local".

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
I hear ya Helen is a beautiful place Yankee Thats a good one ! I heard YOU long haired Yankee boy go home with a few other choice words many times . Funny only happend one time from fellow sportmans. I guess my speech gave it away. All i wanted was directions . Then the banjo music started :( . You know like from the deer hunter . Needless to say i got lost :) .

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mike: Got a time share along the river in town. Just make a one week trip in May. The area is changing, it's still very nice but with new access via I 985 out of Atlanta to Gainesville, it is not a long trip for anyone. It will be another Gatlinberg in 10 yrs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts