close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lake Isabella ShovelHeads and BLUES

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by smokeyjoe, Apr 9, 2008.

1. I was out at the lake today catch me some more trout and the fish truck came in and they stocked 1150 pounds of Shovell's and BLUES they said that in the next couple weeks another 1000 pounds were coming...great big uns up to 50 pounds....wowwwww

2. I had heard from someone this was a great cat lake at one time, but the same person also told me that it wasn't considered a good cat lake for a while. Glad to hear they are putting some good ones in there!

3. JerryA

JerryA fishing fool

I wonder where those big cats are coming from? I'm not sure this stocking of a pay lake is a good thing.

4. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

JerryA, I believe the smaller channels are farm raised, mostly one two three pounder put in to make this lake a good place for family outings but fish the size of the ones spoken of here are likely harvested from rivers. I am with you on the stocking of the larger fish, not really a good thing in the long run as many of these big fish will end up dead long before there full size potential is reached and take away the opportunity for those of us who fish the river systems. Scotty over at Isabella is real good guy and trying hard to make the lake a great one so there is a chance the fish are farm raised but fish this size are very expensive to raise so I have my doubts. I know many less scrupilous paylakes buy fish captured from the rivers. I don't like this aspect of paylakes and feel they should be checked as to where they get there fish before fishing them. Isabella as I mention is managed very well, lets hope these fish are coming from a credible source. S

5. As a rule of thumb, a lake will likely only support 100lbs of predators per acre. For lake Isabella that is 2800 lbs. 1150lbs of 2-3lb cats could easily double in size in one year. Add another 1000lbs of cats and double that. Are no other predator fish present? This sounds like a wreckless stocking strategy.

6. isnt Lake Isabella in the hamilton county parks district? im not sure they would like being bunched in with tru pay lakes, on that note being its a county park im sure they had to abide by regulations, although i agree with you all about fish being taken from our rivers to stock pay lakes and such, but until someone finds out where they got the fish from we shouldnt pass judgement on them.

7. sevenx

Pond put in those terms it sure does sound wreckless. I know alot of fish are taken out at 3 pounds thats around 50 fish. It seems that would not be hard to clear out at 20 to 50 anglers on a given day. It is meant to be fished catch and keep for the family looking for a fun day and some fish dinners. as for the big guys around 35 fish at 30 pounds. I know there was at one time pike stocked but not sure they still put them in or not. How many pike would would a pond that size support? What are your thought on the numbers does that sound about right or am I way off. Also how many time a year to they stock, Thanks for the info. S

8. sevenx

Yes they are in the Ham Co Park districts a good point and your right about passing judgement. my comments were made meant in that light if you missunderstood my intent. I am certenly no expert just my .02 Some of the facts (general term) were learned here on ogf. S

9. sevenx

Just so I am clear not arguing with anyone here just looking to talk about the issue and become more edjucated along the way. S

10. carxman17

carxman17 cincinnati fishaholic

my dad has fished isebella since he was a kid. I have fished it for years my self. I remember when it was great for catching big shovels & blues some upto 50 or 60lbs. They used to offer bounty in the way of free fishing tickets for larger cats. They have tried to make it more family friendly the last few years. They stock crappie, hybrid gills(big ones) & bass now along with lots of channels. my dad & I have spent many a hot summer nights fishing there for cats. we usually catch many channels & an acational shovel or blue. I know they get there trout & from Jones's in newtown. I would asume they also get there shovels & blues there also. but don't know for sure. :)

11. sevenx

Jones fish hatchery does not raise flat head or blue cats. My guess is there coming from some in the south. Just a guess

12. sevenx

13. carxman17

you are probably right. wasnt sure havent seen the truck with big ones on it yet.

14. its all goods sevenx, i just didnt wanna see people bunch that lake in with tru pay lakes so it didnt start a war...LOL... never fished isabella before but its on my list to try cause my brother n law lives down there and fishes the park lakes all the time, id like to know more about the big ones and where they came from, hopefully they was farm raised or fish rescued from pay lakes.

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

most paylakes get their big cats from commercial netters.fish usually come from the ohio or other southern waters.those fish are not farm raised as it would take years to grow them and cost would be enormous.

16. sevenx

Misfit, I believe that you are 100% correct. Thanks, Bass, understood and a good point. S

17. Dont forget the amount of pressure isabella gets those 2-3# channels might not make it more then a couple weeks before getting caught and eaten. Ive always thought of isabella as more of a put and take lake then an actual eco system. seems like after a busy weekend "Lake No Nibbles" is empty and needs a refil

18. carxman17

chefskip you are right. If you dont fish it fri night sat or sun. forget about it.

19. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Just out of pure curiosity, I wonder how much it would cost and how long it would take to raise even 5 shovelheads until they reached around 40 pounds.

I wouldn't even try to guess.

20. sevenx

In the wild it takes about 3-5 years for males to reach sexual maturity and females 5 years. The length at this age would be approx. 20". Flatheads are believed to live approx. 19-20 years and can reach 120lbs. They will pack on wieght from age 5 untill death so figuring a 20 in fish at 4-5lbs it would be approx. 10-12 years to reach 50 lbs. best guess. Now figure how many bait fish a fish this size at this growth rate would have to eat. Flathead and blue cats are the two fastest growing cat species in our waters. It would cost thousands of dollars per fish to raise them to 50 lbs. S