Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a camping trip to Lake Hope and would like to know if there are any bait stores nearby that sell minnows. I read the boat rental place there has worms. I'll be using artificial lures mostly, but I would like to have some minnows to augment.

Reactions: Upland

·
Registered
376 Posts
Planning a camping trip to Lake Hope and would like to know if there are any bait stores nearby that sell minnows. I read the boat rental place there has worms. I'll be using artificial lures mostly, but I would like to have some minnows to augment.
Closest is in Wellston. go down (south) 93 from Mcarthur, not to far once you get past Mcdonalds, across from domino's. A little brown building with an alley entrance. Mikes Bait and Tackle, 1272 Pennyslyvania aka 93. If you make it out to rt 32, go west about a mile and there is a campground on the right. They have minnies too. Also an Amish grocery sw corner of rt 93/ rt 32 by the ramp.
West of end of Mcarthur just a few blocks west of 93 on rt 50 is an ice cream shop with a Huge menu of good eats for the price. A decent grocery with meat just a little farther on the left.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the tips, ruffhunter. DW has only ever bank fished, but she likes to canoe. So, my hope is she will like fishing from our canoe. Or at least like it enough that I can get some fishing in ;). I know she'll enjoy going out for some ice cream.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you’re coming through Logan to get to lake Hope, take the 664 exit and go towards lake logan. There is a bait and gun store past the holiday inn Express called Downs Bait and Guns. He sells minnows.
There is an outfitter place that just opened in Nelsonville. They rents kayaks and stuff like that. I don’t know if the have minnows. Nelsonville is closer than Wellston

you will want to try out lake hope lodge for dinner. Very good smoked brisket

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, kleffler. We'll be going from Columbus, going through both Logan and Nelsonville. Dinner at the lodge is already on my list since I'm trying to come up with things DW will enjoy. We'll probably do a creek float somewhere while down there, but haven't decided where. I have to come up with one with no portages since DW is 72 and our canoe weighs more than she does. I don't want to have to carry it places by myself.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Alma, Rupert, Snowden and Dow lakes are close. Alma and Dow are 40ac or less. Rupert and Alma are just off and near 93 between Mcarthur and Wellston. You can get to Wellston in 30/40 min from Hope.

FYI Wild turkey festival in Mcarthur is showing this weekend. if you go it'll be busy sat/sun

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ruffhunter. I'll add a couple of those to my list of possibilities. We're going in mid June.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts