Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With COVID-19 being as it was this year opening day for the lake was postponed until June 1, Monday. They even have a little countdown clock for the opening on the Ravenna City website. I don’t know about you but, I look so forward to Lake Hodgson fishing as it is my favorite lake. It is a pay to fish lake with daily and seasonal permits available. To me it is worth it. The fishing to me can compare to any around. Last year, I caught at least 8 dozen 9 inch or larger Crappie. I caught several dozen Largemouth, several dozen Blue Gill and Redear, and at least a dozen Walleye. This year I hope to catch a few more Smallmouth Bass too. It is Fun place to fish from boat or shore. This year due to COVID, the lake will not be renting equipment as they have in the past. The season will be adjusted to October 31 since it started so late this year. The season pass prices will be adjusted accordingly too. If you like to fish, I suggest you try Hodgson sometime. We all have a few fish stories, so I will post some of mine With pictures throughout this season. After all, is that what it is all about. Anyway, folks hope to see you fishing at Hodgson or other lakes. Have fun, Best of Luck, and God Bless.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Are the smallmouth big in this lake? I have never been there before. Is it weedy?

what will the daily fee be?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Are the smallmouth big in this lake? I have never been there before. Is it weedy?

I fished it years ago steady, yes it is or was weedy along most shorelines, and it usually is clear and some really deep water out toward the middle. Never heard of any smallmouth being caught, I never did. Unless someone dropped a few in, they weren’t stocked. If the prices aren’t bad this year I’ll have to see what’s up. I can be on the water from my drive in eight minutes if I don’t catch the train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,014 Posts

I fished it years ago steady, yes it is or was weedy along most shorelines, and it usually is clear and some really deep water out toward the middle. Never heard of any smallmouth being caught, I never did. Unless someone dropped a few in, they weren’t stocked. If the prices aren’t bad this year I’ll have to see what’s up. I can be on the water from my drive in eight minutes if I don’t catch the train.

·
Bassman
13 Posts
With COVID-19 being as it was this year opening day for the lake was postponed until June 1, Monday. They even have a little countdown clock for the opening on the Ravenna City website. I don’t know about you but, I look so forward to Lake Hodgson fishing as it is my favorite lake. It is a pay to fish lake with daily and seasonal permits available. To me it is worth it. The fishing to me can compare to any around. Last year, I caught at least 8 dozen 9 inch or larger Crappie. I caught several dozen Largemouth, several dozen Blue Gill and Redear, and at least a dozen Walleye. This year I hope to catch a few more Smallmouth Bass too. It is Fun place to fish from boat or shore. This year due to COVID, the lake will not be renting equipment as they have in the past. The season will be adjusted to October 31 since it started so late this year. The season pass prices will be adjusted accordingly too. If you like to fish, I suggest you try Hodgson sometime. We all have a few fish stories, so I will post some of mine With pictures throughout this season. After all, is that what it is all about. Anyway, folks hope to see you fishing at Hodgson or other lakes. Have fun, Best of Luck, and God Bless.
No boat rentals this year

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
First off, Welcome To The Site!
You didn't really mention it might be one of the better 'larger LM bass' lakes around or that it can produce very nice perch(albeit a mite hard to dial in any "numbers"). Anyways, I only went there because it was stocked pre-opener with rainbow trout, and perch! I can fish any of the local lakes for free(plus I consider most of the local lakes just as good), also won't go there again because they raised the non-Ravenna city/twsp resident "fees" to Rediculous levels(In My Opinion)! My understanding is the fees paid for the stocking, now w/ no stocking, it's just abt the Money! Have fun out there!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
That’s true CJ, prices went way up even for a senior resident, with out boat rental money coming in it should be interesting what the fees are this year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know if I can keep my outboard on the boat at Hogdson? Do I just need to remove my portable tank? Nice lake for fly fishing bluegill. A few nice ones in there.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I used to keep a 9.9 on back when I went, but took it off most times to cut weight for my trolling motor, but don’t know this years rules, being it’s the city water source.

·
grip master
769 Posts
I was fish'in a Tournament at Hodgson at least 40 years ago with LEEABU,
one of our OGF brothers, and a guy sunk an A C Shiner into the side of his girlfriends face.
He took her to the hospital, got the hooks out, came back, and still won the tourney.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts