close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lake Flatheads still prespawn or has it begun?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Chillydigits, Jun 18, 2017.

1. With the hot weather has the water temp risen enough to trigger the spawn? On the couple lakes I fish I have noticed a sharp drop off in activity. Just curious to what everyone else is seeing in the way of Flathead activity now.

2. Ive noticed the the drop off too, been the past few weeks, with little ones being caught here and there but nothing of any size.

3. Fisherman 3234

Fisherman 3234 Member

There have been some BIG fish caught this past weekend out of some of the rivers...

4. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

We did ok with flatties on the Scioto this past weekend,but no channels. My plan for this weekend will be live 'gills again. IMO we're in between post spawn channels and pre-spawn flats where I fish, so I might as well throw a bait that will work for either or both. I'm happy with either - as long as they're BIG.

5. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

40# and 22 # IMG_1294.jpg IMG_1298.jpg

Catman63 likes this.
  6. Thanks for the report and Nice Shovels!!

7. Just out of curiosity. The area of the state you guys catfish, are there any river guides for hire? I would like to fish with someone that is knowledgeable and could learn some things from . Any suggestions? Thank you

8. I would suggest Shovelhead fishing with anyone except me... At the moment I am on a 32 hr biteless streak..

Masterbaiter66 likes this.
  9. Scum_Frog

Scum_Frog Set The Hook`

My buddy accidently caught a nice 40" flatty on lake erie on friday.....hit a small crank bait....anyways she was dropping eggs all over the boat so we got her bank in the water pretty quickly. Water temp was right at 70 degrees

10. Fisherman 3234

Fisherman 3234 Member

Interesting...western basin???

11. Scum_Frog

Scum_Frog Set The Hook`

Yessir! just east of the huron river :)

12. Doboy

Doboy HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins

So that means that W A Y East, is W A Y later???

Very Interesting!
    Thanks

13. Fisherman 3234

Fisherman 3234 Member

There is a decent population of Flatheads in the Huron River, heard reports and saw pics of fish from Portage and Sandusky Rivers too. Furthest east I've heard of one caught was at Avon near a warm water discharge...

14. I catch flats regularly out of central Ohio rivers. Often times, people don't believe me when I say you can catch big fish in the city. Until I show them the pictures that is! I generally go bank fishing, but occasionally have access to a boat.

15. Anyway, if anybody is looking for a evening/night time bank fishing buddy, I'd be more than happy to have somebody else to fish with.