Ohio Game Fishing banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

·
2,546 Posts
There is a weighing process, and the problem with the windmills is that they are just not going to do much good producing energy, so that any environmental problems caused by them become unacceptable. For trains, sure they will sometimes have spills, crashes, etc, and for that matter accidents. But they are vital and do so much good, that we therefore accept that and just try to make them as safe as we can. It is a weighing process. Same for cars and trucks, which certainly do much more harm along the way than do either trains or windmills. But again, no one is going to argue to get rid of cars and trucks. They are just too vital and produce so much benefit to society on the other side of the ledger, so we weigh the tremendous good they do against the downsides. The problem windmills is that they just don't do much good. They don't work very well, and the ones that exist are overwhelmingly subsidized through tax breaks and direct subsidies. They will never, ever come close to meeting even our present electricity needs. And our electricity needs will double or triple if, as predicted, we move to all electric vehicles in the future. Windmills won't even put a dent in those needs. And the electricity they produce is much more expensive compared to traditional power plants.
Agree with what you say except for your statement about nobody will argue for doing away with cars & trucks. Klaus Schwab, head of the world economic forum in Davos absolutely has publicly called for the abolition of private vehicle ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yes but he aint like the rest of us! He has someone to transport him on the ground, in the air, over the water, everywhere. Smug SOB, and his cronies, thinks he can command something and the whole rest of humanity is just happier than a pig in $h t to go along.

·
Registered
201 Posts
...if I setup something on land that is known to whack protected birds such as eagles, how soon will the Feds send an army of agents to arrest me. Complete with News vans with little satellite dishes, 5-30 live broadcasts.

GUESS I DONNA HAVE THE RIGHT connections...

Hmmm:cool:....

·
I am what I eat.
1,670 Posts
A question that never gets an answer is how much power does a wind mill or solar panel actually produce in a year? Not what they could make but what do they actually make?

There are years of real world examples but, we never hear those numbers, because they are horrible.

·
Bud n Burgers
2,651 Posts
A question that never gets an answer is how much power does a wind mill or solar panel actually produce in a year? Not what they could make but what do they actually make?
There are years of real world examples but, we never hear those numbers, because they are horrible.
They 'claim' that it would require about 3,700 of the large off shore turbines to power New York City, but that comes from the folks that promote and sell them so I don't believe them. Even so, if it were only 3,700, that number is based on each turbine producing at its rated capicity and, in reality, wind turbines are only about 20% reliable, AT BEST, so you would have to increase that count by a factor of five times to a total of about 18,500 turbines. Where the hell would you put them? And we need to always remember that the overall cost to manufacture, transport, erect, commission, and maintain them exceeds the overall value of the energy that they will ever provide in their 20 year max lifetime. The notion that this is a viable energy source is absurd, but they are selling it to us anyway.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Have you ever seen pictures of bald eagles, other raptors, and other birds in general....especially migratory game birds....that have been killed by the blades of wind turbines?
Have you ever seen the piles of used turbine blades sitting around b/c no one can figure out what to do with them/where to dump them? Wind power is not a free ride, unfortunately.
Your point is well taken......but I don't think it's fair to assume that Canada is getting all of their power from wind turbines. They are not.
how many ducks and other birds plus fish and mamals have died from oil spills , oil and nuke is not free either .

61 - 73 of 73 Posts