Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
2,546 Posts
I am all for protecting the environment but the green movement has morphed into a scam to enrich politicians & bureaucrats by fleecing taxpayers.

Case in point: There is a politician currently in the news whose personal wealth has increased 600% since she was elected to congress 5 years ago.

Yes! You read that right. 600%!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Triple Trouble
67 Posts
There is tons of empty space around the nuclear reactors on Lake Erie, the electrical infrastructure is there so no need to run power cables for miles, can service them year round and they get the onshore breeze as well. No waterspouts, no interference with shipping lanes, no need to worry about the effect on the lake, etc. If they aren't installing them at these locations, why would anyone even consider them in the lake?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Have you ever seen pictures of bald eagles, other raptors, and other birds in general....especially migratory game birds....that have been killed by the blades of wind turbines?
Have you ever seen the piles of used turbine blades sitting around b/c no one can figure out what to do with them/where to dump them? Wind power is not a free ride, unfortunately.
Your point is well taken......but I don't think it's fair to assume that Canada is getting all of their power from wind turbines. They are not.
if you are going that route have you ever seen a lake or river that had an oil spill ? there was a pipeline spill in wyoming today 45000 gal of diesel went into a river . and how about the oil spill in the gulf of mexico or alaska tell me how good that made fishing or was good for wildlife. with pipelines its never will they spill its when will they spill..

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
if you are going that route have you ever seen a lake or river that had an oil spill ? there was a pipeline spill in wyoming today 45000 gal of diesel went into a river . and how about the oil spill in the gulf of mexico or alaska tell me how good that made fishing or was good for wildlife. with pipelines its never will they spill its when will they spill..
I hear what you are saying.....but pipelines and wind power are two different topics completely.
Whether or not this wind farm is a good idea has little correlation to pipelines, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Not tor one minute am I dismissing spills but if you look at the data, spills from rail car shipments of oil exceed pipeline spills. So I guess we should stop rail shipments as well?

Rail spillage, while unfortunate, is often limited in size/volume........

Reactions: Softshellcrab

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am all for protecting the environment but the green movement has morphed into a scam to enrich politicians & bureaucrats by fleecing taxpayers.

Case in point: There is a politician currently in the news whose personal wealth has increased 600% since she was elected to congress 5 years ago.

Never a shortage of wind there.

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,519 Posts

Meerkat, it's not the way it looks ... I heard she found a number of thousands of dollars in an envelope ... after she searched relentlessly, high and low over hill and dale for the rightful donor :ROFLMAO: I meant owner, the rightful owner ;) and exhausted all of the proper channels available, it was awarded to her for being such an upstanding citizen :unsure: then it was just a matter of a few lucky investments, of which she had absolutely no prior information not available to anyone else about their possible increase in value :cool: and she's now investing in wind turbines 🤠 you see, when you look at it from the proper perspective, it's really all very understandable :poop:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I want to know , how do they change the shaft bearings on that fan? That's a cantilever load so they got to wear out, don't they?. Do they just run them to they brake and let them sit?

The wind doesn't always blow even on Lake Erie. Will they have an on-demand gas plant ready to fire up then or will there just be a blackout? What about if the wind blows 60 or 70 mph, can the fans handle that?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Voltage drops, can't escape it. Also, I just wonder how many stormy days boaters cannot get out in that part of the lake. I would imagine even the Coast Guard has problems. What to
I wonder what the voltage drop would be in 10 miles??
Look up HVDC transimission (High Voltage DC). Problem solved.
I would rather deal with the disposal of used blades than spent nuclear fuel.

Reactions: percidaeben

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
For your reading and viewing pleasure…

They could use “Green lubricants” an article stated. Probably say it’s too expensive.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I want to know , how do they change the shaft bearings on that fan? That's a cantilever load so they got to wear out, don't they?. Do they just run them to they brake and let them sit?

The wind doesn't always blow even on Lake Erie. Will they have an on-demand gas plant ready to fire up then or will there just be a blackout? What about if the wind blows 60 or 70 mph, can the fans handle that?
From what I read, they would need 6 mph winds to start and would stop when winds hit 55 mph. Which seems to suit Lake Erie. Seems like it would be in that range 90-95 % of the time.

Kip

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am curious how they are going to anchor them. The dock pipes at 55th st marina in Cleveland are 72' long. the sheet pile along route 2 just east of the marina where the power plant used to be are up to 140' long. An engineer told me that hard material out in lake is very deep. maybe at that location its better. But the water is still about 70' deep and then their anchor piling need to go down another 50-100'. Seems like a very costly venture when they could go on land. The idea of putting them next to existing power plants makes sense. But if this is such a great idea how come First Energy is not doing it at that site on shore way or at closed Eastlake plant or by Avon lake plant or by the nuke plants ??? Whole thing sounds like boondoggle to get money from the feds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lake Erie a tremendous public resource and the last wilderness in Ohio being sold off to private interests who want to make a profit with windmills subsidized by tax payer dollars.
The Conneaut harbor windmill was taken down after being struck by lightning out of fear of coming down on local businesses and the hydraulic oil in the turbin catching fire.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Some of my family has multiple windmills on their farm. The windmills kill more birds than I ever imagined. At first I figured that birds would steer clear of them, but apparently they don’t. Independent contractors come out every so often and flag out a grid pattern under the windmills and do a bird impact study. For some reason these studies never turn up any dead birds under the wind mills, but yet it’s not uncommon for the average person to walk out and find a dead bird😊. Our family makes some darn good money off of the lease’s though! All heavily subsidized by the taxpayers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not tor one minute am I dismissing spills but if you look at the data, spills from rail car shipments of oil exceed pipeline spills. So I guess we should stop rail shipments as well?

There is a weighing process, and the problem with the windmills is that they are just not going to do much good producing energy, so that any environmental problems caused by them become unacceptable. For trains, sure they will sometimes have spills, crashes, etc, and for that matter accidents. But they are vital and do so much good, that we therefore accept that and just try to make them as safe as we can. It is a weighing process. Same for cars and trucks, which certainly do much more harm along the way than do either trains or windmills. But again, no one is going to argue to get rid of cars and trucks. They are just too vital and produce so much benefit to society on the other side of the ledger, so we weigh the tremendous good they do against the downsides. The problem windmills is that they just don't do much good. They don't work very well, and the ones that exist are overwhelmingly subsidized through tax breaks and direct subsidies. They will never, ever come close to meeting even our present electricity needs. And our electricity needs will double or triple if, as predicted, we move to all electric vehicles in the future. Windmills won't even put a dent in those needs. And the electricity they produce is much more expensive compared to traditional power plants.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts