Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
This is where they plan on putting these. I’m not a big fan! (no pun intended) Looks like starting with six then who knows how many they will add in the future! They say you’ll barely be able to see them on a clear day standing from shore. I don’t want to see them from the boat either! Oh yea, how are they going to maintain them in the middle of winter if the lake is frozen?🤔
Product Font Line Slope Screenshot

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,476 Posts
Nobody claims wind turbines are a feee ride. But they’re a damn site better than coal.
yeah, right, untill the wind isn't blowing at all or enough to turn the blades ... or when the wind is blowing to hard, I'm thinking much over 20 mph ... there are several in Cleveo area that aren't working on windy days ... and let's not forget maintaining equipment 10 miles out in the lake, it can get a bit tricky between say thanksgiving and Easter ... the problem w/all the "renewable" energy stuff is that if the good lord doesn't cooperate for a day or week or more and we have overcast days w/no wind, or conversely, storms and high winds, you got Nada ... so we're gonna spend how many bazillions of $$ to find out that for every nickle spent we get a pennies worth of juice :rolleyes: nuke power is good but not feasible everywhere ... coal is going by the wayside eventually, but w/todays technology it's a lot cleaner than it used to be, and natural gas is plentiful, affordable and pretty clean ... oh yeah, I forgot, current administration is discouraging anything to do w/fossil fuels :cry: considering our size and the magnitude of our industry, despite what CNN tells you, USA is probably near the top of environmentally responsible countries, EPA is everywhere whether we need them or not :cautious: it's a lot easier to be "clean" when you don't produce anything, I'd venture a wager of an adult beverage that most any country bigger than Cleveland that does better is rather wealthy and doesn't have much Industry (think Switzerland, Iceland, etc) ... all the tree huggers and earth first folks need to get on China and India's case, among others, they're building new coal plants as fast as they can put them up, and they don't use scrubbers and etc. on the smoke stacks ...

·
2,560 Posts
Lots of people out there who bend the truth to make themselves look good. Sweden for instance is very proud to announce that they don’t mine coal to produce electricity. True! But what they don’t tell you is that Sweden does not have any coal to mine. And they buy electricity from Germany who produces it from lignite which is so-called “dirty coal”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sea Hunt 220 Escape Yamaha 250
691 Posts
I, personally, don't think its a good idea for several reasons. One being they will never, in their lifetime, generate enough power to exceed the cost to manufacture, transport, install, commission, and then maintain them. Just like solar farms, wind energy is 100% about the money that is made within the manufacture/sell/install industry and the massive dollars dished out in the form of 'energy credits' to the entities that purchase them. It is a giant, for profit, transfer of taxpayer dollars under the guise of "green energy". That and each of these turbines holds about 80 gallons of oil in their gear box that needs changed annually and almost all of them, in their max 20 year life span, blow a seal a time or two and dump all that oil on the space below. Wind energy, in my opinion, is a great money maker for the players, and a great waste of my and your tax dollars.
Spot on PapawSmith! They don’t pay out and are a money grab for politicians and their “green new deal”! Notice how none of the politicians want them in the water in front of their coastal properties?

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
IF they go in, I would bet you that you will not be able to legally get close to them. They will tell you they are protecting them from"terrorists"....
I had heard the area around the turbines will be off limits... for the above quoted reasons.
Not a fan of turbines, I'm a birder when not fishing.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Not a fan of turbines, I'm a birder when not fishing.
Our raptor population has made tremendous strides over the past several decades....if not generations. Losing them to wind turbines is very unsettling to me.
I also think people, by and large, do not understand how damaging to the environment the used windmill blades are. To me, this is NOT Green Energy.
If you're paying attention, you may start to see the smoke and mirrors that are being pedaled when it comes to wind power.
Solar and nuclear are real options, IMHO. This is a sham.

Sky Cloud Ecoregion Wood Automotive tire

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,476 Posts
Who will pay for fill to build them on and and cost to maintain ?

who do you think??? the good fairy s going to do it while we're sleeping and they'll do the maintenance out of ther goodness of their hearts, what could go wrong there????

Every wind idea costs taxpayers....
I wonder what the voltage drop would be in 10 miles??
you just need a bigger extension cord, the tax-payers will pony up because we all believe in that clean energy BS :p just double your electric bill because, well, they can :cautious:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Voltage drops, can't escape it. Also, I just wonder how many stormy days boaters cannot get out in that part of the lake. I would imagine even the Coast Guard has problems. What to do in an emergency exactly?

Oh and for you birders and eagle concerned types DON'T WORRY , how is anyone going to know what species is whacked? 10 miles out, ''whack thump'' , bird falls to the..water, fishfood .

''See, nothing happened''

Oh and post #24 for the win, we are using CLEAN NATURAL GAS to fire electric plants the high % of plants. Remember the timeline... coal is dirty! Ok appease, coal scrubbers etc. That started back late 70's? THEN...that wasn't good enough so now it's dirty nat. gas? So what's the next after this DOESN'T work? Er, appease the greenies? hmm?

Remember what I posted b4 in other threads...get used to the bus schedules,try using off peak times...subsistence fishing, the ppl 4 doors down raided the garden again we have no food.....etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
PapaSmith said:

"I, personally, don't think its a good idea for several reasons. One being they will never, in their lifetime, generate enough power to exceed the cost to manufacture, transport, install, commission, and then maintain them. Just like solar farms, wind energy is 100% about the money that is made within the manufacture/sell/install industry and the massive dollars dished out in the form of 'energy credits' to the entities that purchase them. It is a giant, for profit, transfer of taxpayer dollars under the guise of "green energy". That and each of these turbines holds about 80 gallons of oil in their gear box that needs changed annually and almost all of them, in their max 20 year life span, blow a seal a time or two and dump all that oil on the space below. Wind energy, in my opinion, is a great money maker for the players, and a great waste of my and your tax dollars."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ding Ding Ding.........................................we have our winner!

Imagine that, a man with critical thinking skills just pointed out that "green energy" is built on a foundation of feel good fraudulent claims that cant stand up to a true analysis of ROI or true environmental impact.

Thank you sir.

(you'd think I could figure out the quote procedure)

21 - 40 of 73 Posts