Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,293 Posts
Well, I do think it's a lot of extra work to put them out in the lake. Foundations, running electric lines to the shore, etc.
Would have thought it would be a whole less expensive to put them on shore. If you head east of Cleveland, there's a ton of open lake front space all the way to Erie, Pa.

·
Bud n Burgers
2,651 Posts
Why do you think it’s a bad idea?
I, personally, don't think its a good idea for several reasons. One being they will never, in their lifetime, generate enough power to exceed the cost to manufacture, transport, install, commission, and then maintain them. Just like solar farms, wind energy is 100% about the money that is made within the manufacture/sell/install industry and the massive dollars dished out in the form of 'energy credits' to the entities that purchase them. It is a giant, for profit, transfer of taxpayer dollars under the guise of "green energy". That and each of these turbines holds about 80 gallons of oil in their gear box that needs changed annually and almost all of them, in their max 20 year life span, blow a seal a time or two and dump all that oil on the space below. Wind energy, in my opinion, is a great money maker for the players, and a great waste of my and your tax dollars.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
While I'm all in favor of being "green"....within reason......I think wind power is essentially....a fraud.
When you read the ridiculous comments made by those who will profit from this "farm", there is no way they will generate enough power to make them worth while or power what their promoters are claiming.
Wind power kills many birds.....and looks awful, IMHO. The turbine blades are NOT currently able to be recycled. Another form of pollution, IMHO....b/c the Lake will look worse with them.
The ethanal industry and the wind power industry are based on lies and b.s. - for lack of better terms.
If you want to go green, Solar and (gasp) Nuclear are your real options.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Here's my 2 pennies. If you go to the north west corner of Erie between the Michigan shore and Canadian shore, on a clear day you can see the power sources for each country. Wind turbines on Canadian side, 2 sets of smoke stacks and a nuke plant on the US side. Id rather see the clean turbines than the smoking stacks.
Have you ever seen pictures of bald eagles, other raptors, and other birds in general....especially migratory game birds....that have been killed by the blades of wind turbines?
Have you ever seen the piles of used turbine blades sitting around b/c no one can figure out what to do with them/where to dump them? Wind power is not a free ride, unfortunately.
Your point is well taken......but I don't think it's fair to assume that Canada is getting all of their power from wind turbines. They are not.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts