Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put my boat in erie for the first time I have a 16 foot deep v with a 25hp outboard and live about 40 miles from Cleveland, who do you regular lake erie guys use to get the most accurate weather forecasts or current conditions. I just hate to drive up and have to turn right back around because lake is to rough.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CatmanOne

G

·
Look at the top of the lake erie forum they have links there for noaa. There is also a link to the bouy off Vermilion. 2 cents

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Honestly, I've tried to rely on the NOAA, Weather channel, ACCU Weather, etc. and have been disappointed many times. Your best bet is a contact or someone who lives right on the lake that you can call for reports. But when I go by the forcasts, I really focus on wind direction....anything coming out of the North, NE or NW has potential to be rough.....For example....Last Saturday they were calling for 2 to 3 footers subsiding to 2 feet or less by late morning. Well, when we arrived at the launch, there were about 5' rolling white caps coming out of the NorthE and subsided to 2s by 3 or 4 pm. I realize that its hard to predict the weather, but the wind is another thing....If your traveling up to Erie to fish, you're just going to have to accept the fact that its hit or miss and you never know whats going to happen....the fishing is sure worth that much to me. Good Luck!

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
if nothing else ,ithere are some eyes to be caught in the harbor,along with L.M/S.M. and rock bass. so it's never a wasted trip.this past weekend the wind has been changing speed every few hours.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It depends on where you are going to launch. If your going to Vermilion or Lorain call Dave's Bait and Tackle 440-963-0008 or Denny's Sportsman's Outpost 440-967-4000. They both look at the lake before going to the shop.
I don't know about the Cleveland area. You could try Shine's 216-431-9090.
Ashtabula try Grand River Bait and Tackle 440-352-7222. When I lived in Akron we always called Denny when we where going to Vermilion or Lorain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts