Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my inexperience, but which channels broadcast Lake Erie condtions? My lowly Uniden Solaris does not have weather alert that I know of. I did pick up a forecast on ch 2, but not once in 8 hours did it mention wave height. Are there other channels? Is ch 79 for charters or everybody?

·
Sea Food Eater
268 Posts
ohiojmj
This link: http://www.csgnetwork.com/marinefreqtable.html shows channel,frequency and usage.
As far as the wave height;The weather radio seems to be very cautios and very general in their reports.
The way the fronts have been coming and going it is very difficult to predict wave height.
This link: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/cle/ could possibly help before you venture out on to the big pond

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
your eyes and ears will tell you. but the weather chanels are below o on your dial.look for a "W" on your radio or go below zero to a negative number chanel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just check the various counties along the lake as well as the near shore forecast. The marine forecast calls for winds of 5-15 knots. The counties call for winds of 15-20 mph. When you consider the conversion factor I believe is approx 60 % that is a significant difference.
www.lakevision.com helps at times.
Lou

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Use your eyes and watch the horizon as well as the wind direction and any sudden temperature changes. The marine reports have often warned boaters of a storm after it has hit. I have twice finished fighting really rough sea's and then been advised of the storm. One time four boats went down and the sinking report was just ahead of the storm warning! :rolleyes: I look over the national weather and www.lakevision .com then go fishing and watch the weather throughout the day. :D Hat's off to the weather jerks! :p

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
it is not a good idea to use land reports for local cities.remember there are on shore and off shore winds.i use the weather buoy station 45005. search the topic for the addy. gives real time data from different areas of the lake.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I check the coast guard reports, intellicast radar, look overhead, play it smart, and will now check for negative numbered channels on vhf (got no W button on my Uniden cheapo).

·
Registered
657 Posts
your "cheapo" uniden solaris is a quality radio for the price, your weather channels are 01-09 (lower) and when im on the lake i get 5 out of 9 channels broadcasting,including canadian weather and wave reports... i never had a problem getting wave heights on cue. also at home (1 hour south of conny) i still get 3 or 4 stations clearly, maybe your antenna is hooked up wrong or cheap... but im telling you i have a sloaris and compared to some other radios i have used its a grade a radio for the price. look into buying a bigger better antenna

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JV1, I'm not boasting, but mine is 3' long. I'll dwell a little longer on 01 thru 09 channels since I was clicking thru real fast. Hoping to take my 16'er out of Vermillion on thursday if weather cooperates for once.....

·
Catcher of Fish
2,855 Posts
ohiojmj said:
JV1, I'm not boasting, but mine is 3' long. I'll dwell a little longer on 01 thru 09 channels since I was clicking thru real fast. Hoping to take my 16'er out of Vermillion on thursday if weather cooperates for once.....

First your ol lady griping about your antenna length and now this! I told you to go for the long one - size does matter!

Seaturd

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
the height of your antenna only limits the range (miles) your signal will reach. your 3 ft antenna will only broadcast 5miles or a little more . 8ft antenna is the norm. you will recieve all signals ascoast guard and weather has the powerfull aquipment to broadcast long range. your 3ft is fine , you just cant talk long range .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts