Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a weekend! What a weekend! Weather was absolutely beautiful and broke at just the right time. Hooked up with Lundy on Friday afternoon to get in on the bonanza. We headed out around 12:30 or so, after a trip to the bait shop to load up on the often mentioned purple hair jigs! Saw FreeByrd Steve there and called him Tim for some unknown reason...Oh, I know why! I'm an IDIOT!! Sorry Steve.. Then, while on my way to meet Lundy and a few fellow OGFers at the fish cleaning station, I tripped and fell flat on my face! What a GREAT start!!! Things could only get better from there and boy, they sure did!

We got out to a spot around a mile or so off shore in 11 ft of water. No wind to speak of, no drift, so we decided to cast and snap the jigs back to us to get the walleye to hit. We saw lots of guys verticle jigging, and heard they were tipping jigs with minnows too, but we didn't go that route. Cast and hard snaps back to the boat, just like we were redfishing! The fish would slam the jigs on the fall most of the time. It was very strange. About every 4th or 5th fish I caught would be snagged. But it took Lundy a day and a half to get his first snagged fish. He caught the rest in the mouth. Please though, don't start another thread about snagging. I did release all the snagged fish.

Over the two days we fished, and this is an estimate because we lost count, we caught in the neighborhood of 150 fish. It was unreal. For a time yesterday, I was counting my cast-to-fish ratio. I got up to 35 casts. I went 26 for 35 on fish with a stretch of 11 casts in a row where I caught a walleye. AMAZING.

It was a fun but tiring weekend, that's for sure. It was also good to see a lot of OGF stickers and gear being worn up there! I was going to stick around later than I did, but I was so tired, after everyone went out fishing, I didn't want to wait around for two hours, so I bailed. Those of you who wanted stickers, hats, or shirts, PM me and I'll send them to you.

It was good to see some old friends, especially seeing Shortdrift out enjoying the fishing and hearing his "advice" on the radio! Glad you're doing better Ron! And everyone else, we'll see you at the member outing in June or the Hawg Fest in September, or on the lake sometime between now and then! Now, the pix!!

Saturday AM sunrise....

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

A few OGF members we found on the lake... There's Shortdrift in one boat, there's Hetfieldinn on the phone in the other, and there's Freyedknot and his fishing partner Woody!!!

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Lundy, thanks for the great trip!​

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Owen and Mrs. Walleyeguy... Owne was holding up her fish when I got that shot! Great to see you guys again.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great trip, great time, a real trip of a lifetime. You know, most of the trips I go on with OGF folks are trips of a lifetime! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Biggest fish of Day 2... BTW, he was released! We already had our limit! LOL!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Im taking your spot on the boat the next two days, and I couldn't be more excited. If we do half as well as you did the last two days ill be thrilled.
Awesome sunrise photo! Did you edit it to make the colors brighter?

Thats kidoff a metalic superman spoon sunrise!

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,952 Posts
oooooh, very nice pictures. love the sunrise. thanks for the photos for us who couldn't make it this time(im sick with envy:p ) it's nice to see all you OGF'ers out enjoying the great fishing and weather.

great to see ron out there too:D

·
Kiss The Converse
4,560 Posts
Saturday was by far one of the best days I've ever spent fishing. We had our limit in about 45 minutes and continued to catch probably up to 50 more by the time we left! Thanks to Exexec for helping us out on our maiden voyage to the Western Basin! I'll definately be back in years to come, that was SWEET!!

Nice pics Big Daddy!

·
Premium Member
10,882 Posts
You're always welcome to fish with me anytime Carl, always a good time.

The fishing continued again today the same way it's been, HOT and very easy. Today was somewhere around a 60 fish day with out really working hard at it. I did have one small mouth on today plus I caught one white bass also.

Big Daddy was on fire yesterday!! I think he could have cast into my pee bottle and caught a walleye yesterday:D . He out fished me at LEAST 2 to 1. That had me really wondering why, I always wonder why about everything:) . I was using 4/10 black fireline with no leader, he was using Crystal fireline, not sure if he was using a leader or not. I re-spooled the same rod that I was using yesterday with Crystal fireline last night. My catch to cast ratio doubled or better today. Was it the new clear fireline? I don't know. It was the same rod, same lure, same everything except the hookup ratio plus I snagged 3 times more fish in 5 hrs today than I did in the previous 2 days. Not much of a controlled test that you can draw any absolute conclusions from but it has me thinking. I will be thoroughly testing this for two more days.:D

Great time, lots of fun, and great to see old faces again and meet some new ones.

Kim

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Josh, take a few Advil before you go out. Your shoulders will thank you for it! LOL!

Sunrise picture was only slightly sharpened. It was a beauty.

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
I want to thank Big Daddy for letting us in on the snap retrieve early on Friday. Before that we were picking up an eye every 15 minutes or so with the vertical jigging. Once we started to fish "redfish style" we were knockin' em stiff! No minnie needed.

4-20-Thanks to Shortdrift and Chippewa for taking me out with them on Friday. I had a great time fishing next to some pro's. We killed them and I learned a few new tricks to remember. We got over 60 for the day. Unfortunately I broke 2 rods that day. The first I stepped on the tip and the second was when my St Croix decided to snap in half in the middle as I tried to hoist a little 2 pounder on board. It worked out great that I went with you guys first because then I showed Eyesman and Porterhouse the snap retrieve the next day with much success.

4-21-The fishing was even better on Saturday for me. I got 18 keeper eyes in myself in a little over 3 hours. I topped off my weekend off Erie with a nice 25" 6lb 11oz eye as my last fish caught. I swear I had one bigger than that on a few minutes later but lost him. Oh well, you can't complain about anything with fishing and weather like we had this weekend. Thanks for taking Porterhouse and I out Eyesman. I know I had a great time shootin' the **** with you guys that day. Eyesman was one happy camper now that he has his own Erie boat, im jealous. Porterhouse started slow but caught fire after an hour or so with the snap retrieve.

On the 2 trips I took out we got probably 100 eyes and maybe 1 was not 15" long and only 1 over 22" long. Guessing that 95 of them were from the class of 03 between 18-22" long. Not one different species caught by me or any company. Not 1 pregnant fish caught either, all males but the big spawned out female I got in the end. I very rarely keep my catch but even I had to get in on this bonanza. I left with 16 very nice filets. http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/data/500/thumbs/erie_4-21-07_003.jpg[/img][/url]

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great job guys!

I'd also like to show the GREAT jig I was catching them on right and left. I picked up a few of these babies at the Painesville Outdoor Show from Ole Pete's TAckle. These things REALLY work well! By the time we were done, there were about 4 individual hairs left on the jig, but it was still catching!

Thanks Pete for a great jig!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Nothing but AWESOME out there this past weekend.
Fish on nearly every cast.
Today (Sunday) was even better. We had a little wind to work with.:D
Theres a lot of sunburns to show for a full weekend of fishing.;)
Here is what we finished the day off with, on Saturday afternoon.

Attachments

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
sure had a great time out there with the ogf team and a great cookout saturday night. thanx to hetfield for putting on one heck of a weekend.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Had a great time, I had 2 boys with me and we caught limits both days. Nice to talk with a few of the guys at the campground. Saturday fish were a little easier than today. My son caught a bonus smallie , his first. Most fish 18-22 inches, we caught a couple 4-5 pounders.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Mann!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what can I say???? It was a perfect weekend with perfect weather and perfect fishing and meeting some awesome people from the site!!!!!!! I had a blast to say the least... I do have to thank several people though.. Hetfieldinn for picking the perfect weekend and organizing the whole thing, capt. Kevin and het and eveyone else that helped for cooking up the fish fry feast, and Shortdrift for letting me be his slave for the weekend:D just kidding I am glad to help out the friend that has helped me out over the years!!!, and big daddy and lundy for showing us the rip technique that slayed the walleyes the first two days... It was fun everyday trying to connect faces with screennames.. I will have to say that the one that shocked me most was comadore64... he was hillarious!!!!! had everyone laughing for hours by the fire... And it was great to spend the day with pigsticker on the boat.... I have a couple of pics but they are nowhere near as nice as bigdaddy's...
the first is mr and mrs walleyguy with a nice limit with Jenny getting the hog!! and the next is Lundy and Bigdaddy (where is the OGF flag? lol).. and the 3rd is shortdrift, Pigsticker and I.....

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
We've all heard that old fisherman's saying... "you should have been there". Well, you should have been there! It was awesome. I can't add anything to what has already been reported other than it was the best two days fishing that I have experienced in a long time.

Thanks Shortdrift for the "inside scoop" on location and tactics and allowing me to "shadow" you. I'm glad I had the pleasure to meet you later at the cleaning station along with Pigsticker and Chippewa. My only regret was my inability to meet more of you.

·
Registered
321 Posts
He took me and my dad out on Saturday and we had a blast. It was a lot of fun and it was cool to meet some of you guys. I just wish I couldve stayed Saturday night for the fish fry and maybe stayed until sunday for another day on the boat. Thanks a lot Steve.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I want to thank Short Drift for helping us out on Saturday. My son in law went with me and it was the first time he had caught any walleye in three trips.:) Moving into the deeper water really helped us. We limited out in 2.5 hrs but continued to use the rest of our bait and totaled 22 fish for the day. Lost a couple huge fish at the boat, I guess they will be there next time hopefully. I got to say hi to Hook & Book as he went by us, glad to see him again. The depth finder/GPS worked great. I am trying to show what we brought home, biggest was 23 incher, tried to take pictures on the lake but the batteries were dead in the camera, go figure. :(
Het great job in getting everything put together,:D couldn't stay over both my companions had to go to work today
Thanks,
Ron

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts