Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best time of the year to catch a trophy smallie on Erie? I know the spring is awesome, but what about the fall. Thinking about getting a trip together.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Mid October to late November off Ruggles/Cranberry, it's like shooting fish in a barrell and they are all huge. I catch them trolling on cranks in 15-25 FOW most fish are 3-6 pounds, all monster footballs.

·
Set The Hook!
2,177 Posts
I agree ,I target them in Oct ,Nov , jigs tubes, vibes at Ruggles
For me my bigger fish came in the early spring but I seem to catch numbers in the fall
Here is one that went 6.6 in the spring

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
That is a chunk Orlando!

Also can anyone reccomend a guide for a trip this fall?
If you have a boat you don't need one, the area is loaded with fish this time of year like clock work, some years we can't keep the smallies off our reef runners while trying to catch walleye, it was like this in the spring off sherrod park as well in May. Just go fish it and you'll surprise yourself the fish are there, you can even cast cranks and catch them, they are very hungry we are catching them suspended or they are seeing our baits 5-10 off the bottom and coming up for them, if you casting deep diving shad raps or mud bugs, or any deep diving bass crank I'm positive you'll have a field day and once you find one you'll find more as they are usually stacked up in certain areas. You may even want to make a trolling pass flatling cranks or with boards once you find them, then drift and cast or jig them up with tubes etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This past spring-- late april, while jiggin for eyes off Sherrod, caught my biggest smallie yet- 5 3/4#er what a beautiful fish, and one of several that size. If KGone says fall is just as good or better, take the advice, he's a fish catching machine

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
What is the best time of the year to catch a trophy smallie on Erie? I know the spring is awesome, but what about the fall. Thinking about getting a trip together.
While there is no doubt that spring and fall are best, trophy bass can be had in mid August too. Like this one from Saturday for example;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I prefer spring, likely because I'll be chasing ducks in the fall, unless it's a bluebird day.
This is the cull board we used from this spring. This was one day's catch.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi. can anybody give me a location on where to dropshot or tubejig for smallies in mid august in the central basin of lake erie? I really need this info. thanks:)

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Hi. can anybody give me a location on where to dropshot or tubejig for smallies in mid august in the central basin of lake erie? I really need this info. thanks:)
Avon point would be a good spot, alot of structure over there to work, another spot would be the artifical reefs in Cleveland and Lorain.

·
SISU
21 Posts
Great tread! I have been a member of OGF for a few years now. I have read plenty of good reports, but this is my first post. I caught a lot of small mouths when I was a kid growing up in Conneaut. I fish mainly for Walleyes now, but with the new boat this year, I plan on streaching the season, and will be there for them this fall. Anyway, it has been so long since I have had one. How do you guys cook them? Same as Walleyes? Thanks

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Great tread! I have been a member of OGF for a few years now. I have read plenty of good reports, but this is my first post. I caught a lot of small mouths when I was a kid growing up in Conneaut. I fish mainly for Walleyes now, but with the new boat this year, I plan on streaching the season, and will be there for them this fall. Anyway, it has been so long since I have had one. How do you guys cook them? Same as Walleyes? Thanks
Myself along with most folks choose catch and release when bass fishing.

The perch and walleye bite will be strong until ice up and those are my targets if I am looking for some great table fare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts