Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tall Tales Bait and Tackle
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone,

I apologize in advance if this isn't the proper place for this post. This is our first post as a bait shop since we reopened in March. I was hoping to get some advice on what lures/tackle you all would be looking for in a shop as we are looking to expand some of what we offer for Lake Erie and I wanted some additional feedback and opinions to help ensure we take the best care possible of our customers that are headed to Lake Erie. We currently carry what I considered to be the basics and have about 16' dedicated to product. It includes:

-Every color of bandit walleye deep
-Okuma Magda/Convectors
-Various Trolling Rods for Dipsy/Trolling/Planar Boards
-Every color Viper Spoons in SP1/SP1Bucktail
-Select Dipsy Divers in size 1; Jet Divers in 40'/50'
-Leadcore line, Power Pro line
-4' section of crawler harnesses including many Super Death harnesses
-Almost every color of Perfect 10's, including custom warrior Perfect 10's
-40 colors of Stinger Scorpion spoons
-Erie Dearies in multiple sizes and colors
-ED Weapons in multiple colors/sizes
-Various mayfly rigs
-Planar boards
-select reef runners, thundersticks
-various dipsy snubbers
-various bottom bounces and flouro leaders

We are hoping to place some large orders in the offseason and what I am considering expanding would be :
-Flicker Minnows in a size 9/11
-Expanding scorpion spoons
-Expanding spoon harnesses' selection
-Bay Rats? Have had little interest in these items but I've heard they popular

Thank you all in advance for the feedback.

-Tall Tales Bait and Tackle Staff

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are you located?
Hi Farmhand,

We are located in Alliance, Ohio. It puts us about an hour from the lake if you head to Cleveland, 2 hours from Port Clinton, and 1.5 hours from Ashtabula.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I would suggest you limit your trolling rod selection to the lower cost rods by TRD, Diawa, etc., in the $25 to $40 range. Rod length of 7 to 8 foot medium heavy fits the need for most of the Erie Trollers.

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Short,

Thank you for the reply. We currently carry trolling rods from Daiwa and Okuma ranging from $19.99 to $34.99 and the range from 7'6" Lake Trolling to 9'6" dipsy rods, so that is great feedback to get as we will only look at expanding a select few rods next year. Thank you!

·
Captain Tim
412 Posts
Tru trips, trolling bags, tackle storage, line, power pro and such, jigs for spring reef fishing, good terminal tackle good ball bearing stuff. Expand the Michigan Stinger spoon selection, you say you have Scorpion’s but do you also carry the next size up Stinger? Nets, some downrigger stuff like cable, planer board stuff like releases and heavy planer board line for big boards. Sorry for spending your money. But those things will bring in the money. Or have the ability to get these items quick for guys like next in a day or 2. Look at what Erie outfitters has done. People are by passing the Cabelas and going to Erie outfitters and the Cabelas staff sends people there because he has what you need for Lake Erie walleye and steelhead fishing.

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tru trips, trolling bags, tackle storage, line, power pro and such, jigs for spring reef fishing, good terminal tackle good ball bearing stuff. Expand the Michigan Stinger spoon selection, you say you have Scorpion’s but do you also carry the next size up Stinger? Nets, some downrigger stuff like cable, planer board stuff like releases and heavy planer board line for big boards. Sorry for spending your money. But those things will bring in the money. Or have the ability to get these items quick for guys like next in a day or 2. Look at what Erie outfitters has done. People are by passing the Cabelas and going to Erie outfitters and the Cabelas staff sends people there because he has what you need for Lake Erie walleye and steelhead fishing.
Thank you for the detailed reply! Tru trips are on our list (we have 5 distributors and every one is out of stock right now), we do have 8' dedicated to jigs from 1/32 to 5/8 oz, tackle storage is on the list for 2019, we have lots of power pro and standard mono will expand next year to multiple brands. We do carry some of the standard stinger spoons, but the scorpions sell almost 20 to 1. I can look at expanding that color assortment in that larger size, to be fair. I do have heavier line for boards, but no releases which is good feedback, and our nets will be expanded next year (we order nets once a year as the shipping per net is atrocious with most distributors as they charge an oversize fee -some on each net).

I do not have plans to expand to downriggers/accerrories ATM because we do not have the traffic here to currently justify that expense. I do have the ability to order something for a customer and have it typically in 2 days or less depending on the distributor. For most special orders, we are almost always well below retail as it is not something I stock, and it helps me get to my free shipping on other tackle I order.

I will take a trip to Erie Outfitters as I have not been there yet and check them out. Thank you again for the feedback!

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Single strand 12 lbs stainless wire and a haywire twist tool. Needed for us Central Basin fisherman.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. I personally use a haywire twist tool for fishing for sharks and had not considered that application on Erie. Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts