Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys mostly the oldtimers that have fished the lake for many years what are the worst storms youve encounterd on erie and how big do the waves really get one guy was telling me he was in twenty foot seas during a storm any truth to this

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
I can't imagine them being bigger than last year when the remnants of Hurricane Sandy hit. I'm by no means an expert, but that was still a serious storm by the time it hit ohio. I was watching some cams on the break walls and those waves were crashing and exploding 50' into the air or more.

Superstorm Sandy (2012)
The cold wave that merged with Hurricane Sandy at the end of October, 2012 brought strong winds and high waves across the Great Lakes. Lake Michigan recorded wave heights of 20 to 22 feet and wind gusts of 60 to 70 mph. The southern end of Lake Michigan experienced a lake level rise of 15 inches as the winds pushed water down the lake.[42][43] Lake Huron experienced 23-foot waves and a wind gust of 74 mph was recorded at Port Gratiot at the southern end of the lake.[44] Most freighters stayed in harbor instead of trying to run through the storm.
Taken from: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_storms_on_the_Great_Lakes

It talks about Erie as well. Being he shallowest of the Great Lakes, I don't think it's capable of the same wave heights.

·
Perch Jerker
158 Posts
two winters ago i was checking out conneaut. dont remember the month but it was chrome season. couldnt hardly see the breakwall. waves just towering over it. i stood there thinking i wonder what it would to be out there in my 19ft walk around. it was a humbling experience. put the fear of mother nature in me. a little fear and respect isn't a bad thing. that lake is a angry bitch.

·
Perch Jerker
158 Posts
another tale. my first year on the lake, i ran out to the mountain out of presque isle. it was early and i wanted to take a shot at some lake trout. beautiful day. i got there dropped riggers and dipseys and started trolling in line with about 10 other boats. all bigger than mine. i have the ipod jamming tunes and having the time of my life. i noticed the other boats picking up and running in. i figure they caught theirs. not too long later the wind picks up, the waves pick up, and the fog starts rolling in.

it took me 45 minutes to get there and 3 hours to get in.
lesson learned:
listen to the weather station and the lady that broadcasts from wallnut. not your music.
if every other boat bugs out they must know something.
because you boated on rivers or pymy your whole life it doesnt translate to that lake.

i could picture te headlines, two idiots from pittsburgh died because they didnt know what they were doing.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I believe I once read the largest recorded wave on Lake Erie was 21' measured in front of Cleveland during a winter storm. Unfortunately, I've been caught in a couple of storms out in the lake and it wasn't pretty. But it reinforces the fact that you need to carry extra fuel as it takes a lot more to get back in when its rough.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
473 Posts
Worst I ever FISHED in was 8' to 10's, in 1983, I think.

It was the Arthur Smith/Kmart Walleye Tourney, and on Day two, they didn't cancel and we went. My boat at the time was an Aquasport 222, center console. It was scary when we staged out of East Harbor, waiting for the starting gun. 3 boats went down in the Tourney that day.

I know there have been even bigger waves than that, but that's the worst I've been OUT in.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Back in the '80s, was on a charter in the western basin, I knew the captain well and helped out on numerous trips with him. The boat was a 28' sport fisherman with a fly-bridge, very sea-worthy.
We were catching eyes in the usual manner back then, weight-forward spinners when I heard the captain yell from his spot at the bow pulpit "reel'em in boys, we gotta go" ! I looked towards the northwestern sky and it was turning dark FAST, faster than I had ever witnessed.
We headed in running at a good cruising speed and the storm over-took us. The captain and I were stationed on the flybridge, which when docked is probably 8 maybe 10 feet off the water. The waves around us were swelling and crashing,, had to be 12 feet maybe more,,,, when we were in the lowest part of the swell we could not see out....IT WAS SCARY! Nearly had a collision with a much smaller craft that also got caught in the storm while we were attempting to navigate the huge waves.
We made it back to East Harbor safely after the storm front past us and the guys below were shook-up but very thankful to be back on shore.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Here's the breakwall at Eastlake when Sandy was coming. I got pretty wet from the spray that day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.