Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fishing was slow today and my mind started wandering. Ill cut to the chase, was hoping to start a discussion on how many different record sized species you think are in lake erie right now?

I think it might be easy to assume steelhead (rainbow trout), walleye, perch and smallmouth bass but what about others?

Based on the sheer size and diversity of habitat, surely there is record potential for other species. I am thinking that perhaps the only limitation might be growing season, a largemouth bass in southern ohio might grow more in a year than its lake erie counterpart.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
33 Posts
although large and rich in forage, Erie is a tough place to survive for a fish.

on records, a friend of mine holds the state record chinook salmon from years ago, guy never even mentioned it. Noticed his name on the records and asked him about it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Carp53.65
4,187 Posts
Rod and reel sheephead, buffalo sucker, common carp, bowfin, walleye, perch, white perch, and steelhead. I do not believe that the record smallmouth will ever be beaten but that is a whole nother story right there. Bowfishing buffalo sucker and bowfin.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Park, I have wondered about musky. I figured there has to be some big ones, and probably little fishing pressure on them

·
Carp53.65
4,187 Posts
Sheep heads. And I would have to say Muskie's.
I do not believe that you will ever see a muskie even close to 55 pounds out of erie in ohio waters. Most of the muskies that you see out of st clair and the detroit river have the length but are too skinny. If that one ever does get broken it will come out of south east ohio. Just my opinion.

·
Carp53.65
4,187 Posts
Park, I have wondered about musky. I figured there has to be some big ones, and probably little fishing pressure on them

Also the problem with muskies in erie is that they tend to be very scattered to the point where no one really targets them. It would be a fluke that someone would land a fish of that caliber using 10-12 pound mono while trolling for walleyes. Plus who uses steel leaders while trolling for walleyes?

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
I htink it could very possibly hold a state record white crappie.

·
fish breath
567 Posts
If you've ever seen some of the muskies I've seen washed up on shore where I look for arrowheads and take walks at you might change your opinion. Or maybe not. But that's just what I think.

·
On the water
1,021 Posts
9.5 lb smallie! Whoa. I see it was caught by a Randy Van Dam out of da zoo. I know that's were KVD is from, anyone know if that was a relative? I would guess so

·
Ranger188
1,580 Posts
Kevin's brother Randy owns the Ohio State smallmouth record,Randy is Jonathon's dad by the way.Pretty cool family,two fish the Elite Series,and the other owns a state record bass.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The Van Dam family owns a sporting goods store in MI, D&S sporting goods. Not as you would expect but a well rounded sporting goods store, all kinds of fishing and hunting. The locals were glad when they went pro as those two guys would win any contest within driving distance. Steelhead, deer, bluegill, icefishing. They sucked it all up and no one else could win. Makes me proud of that family and I dont know them.

·
1,318 Posts
There are quite a few species that may have a chance of reaching record levels...(The obvious): Smallies, Walleye, Perch, Steelhead, Sheephead,(Somewhat likely): Channel catfish, Muskie, Northern Pike, Bowfin, Brown trout, Carp, Rockbass (Possible): Largemouth Bass, Flathead Catfish. I know the last two are a real stretch, but take into account the amount and size of available baitfish in Lake Erie.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Flathead, did u see the article about the 9year old who caught a Muskie out of wild wings marina, alive, "with his barehands" that would've been the state record but since he used his hands it wasn't legitimate. Google it. IMO I think the fish was dying and didn't put up much of a fight because the kid didn't have a scratch on him that I could see.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Carp53.65
4,187 Posts
Just googled the article. It is a very impressive fish to say the least. The article said the fish wieghed 24 pounds. It looks larger than that. But that fish is still 31 pounds shy of the record wieght.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I do not believe that you will ever see a muskie even close to 55 pounds out of erie in ohio waters. Most of the muskies that you see out of st clair and the detroit river have the length but are too skinny. If that one ever does get broken it will come out of south east ohio. Just my opinion.
Or Pymatuning

1 - 20 of 24 Posts