Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's been very inconsistent. I haven't found many fish around the islands themselves. Been fishing out near D can. I've gotten anything from a limit to 2 depending on the day. I've tried around Green recently with little success.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hit or miss. Whole shiners or pieces. Goldies whole or cut up. On the bottom couple cranks up. Bling or no bling ,spreader or crappie rig. Plain hook or a perch assassin. In the pack away from the pack. U just to put in the time.

·
Registered
741 Posts
3 of us fished 3 hours this morning around the islands. NADA. We had what looked like perch marks on the fishfinder, but could not get them going. Did not see any jerking going on other boats.

·
Registered
401 Posts
just wondering whats a perch assassin?
It’s a perch rig that somebody in the western basin created, and they sell at the bait shops over there. I’ve seen it on a Facebook page, and it seems pretty popular amongst the members.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Went out on a head boat yesterday from port Clinton. I caught 7 which was the most of the 20 people on the boat. Don’t know the total. Most of the fish were on the small size. I would say 6 - 7 inches.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,701 Posts
Right im sayingblue pike were plentiful until they were commercially fished to extinction. Seems like history is repeating with perch

·
Registered
307 Posts
Right im sayingblue pike were plentiful until they were commercially fished to extinction. Seems like history is repeating with perch
Except there are still a few walleye in the lake and once in awhile someone catches a clue color phase. Genetic testing proved the blue pike was just a walleye color phase that dominated the lake for some reason.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Except there are still a few walleye in the lake and once in awhile someone catches a clue color phase. Genetic testing proved the blue pike was just a walleye color phase that dominated the lake for some reason.
Let's see those test results....

reelylivinsportfishing.com

·
Registered
184 Posts
Let's see those test results....

Bowhunter is correct. Blue pike were just different colored walleye and for some reason that coloring went away. Someone somewhere had a frozen blue pike (maybe 10 years ago? less?). When they tested the genetic makeup it was identical to walleye.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Bowhunter is correct. Blue pike were just different colored walleye and for some reason that coloring went away. Someone somewhere had a frozen blue pike (maybe 10 years ago? less?). When they tested the genetic makeup it was identical to walleye.
Was just interested in seeing it, when my grandparents immigrated to Fairport Harbor from well.. West Virginia in the 50s my grandfather would catch buckets of them from the breakwalls at night, he said the were walleye like but had very big eyes, blue and silver colored with spots or splotches like a sauger, a really big one was maybe 2lbs.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,701 Posts
I know there are walleye that will randomly get a blue color but was always told blue pike was a sub species that was between a perch and walleye as far as size like 22" was considered a monster at least my grandfather said that's about as big as he'd ever seen or heard of. Now maybe the recent blue walleye was just the random bule coloration that happens in walleye but not the same species that was around 100 years ago. Idk i don't see how you can have population of tens of millions that were blue just suddenly disappear or stop being blue it just doesn't seem to add up unless its something to do environmental reasons

·
Registered
307 Posts
I know there are walleye that will randomly get a blue color but was always told blue pike was a sub species that was between a perch and walleye as far as size like 22" was considered a monster at least my grandfather said that's about as big as he'd ever seen or heard of. Now maybe the recent blue walleye was just the random bule coloration that happens in walleye but not the same species that was around 100 years ago. Idk i don't see how you can have population of tens of millions that were blue just suddenly disappear or stop being blue it just doesn't seem to add up unless its something to do environmental reasons
My best semi-educated guess is that there was a cohort ("the blue pike") that had a certain behavioral pattern, most likely forage related, and the forage base either rapidly changed or somehow they got outcompeted by the yellow walleye. Possibly due to the arrival of rainbow smelt or alewives? Who knows. I totally believe there was a "different fish" in the lake that could have behaved differently in general. The walleyes of today seem to be more pelagic than the wallleyes of the 80's even. I heard the stories from my grandpap also. I'm just saying it's been studied and they were genetically the same species. Then again I'm genetically the same species as all the other 7.8 billion **** sapiens on earth and we certainly all behave differently and look different, so maybe we're just splicing scientific hairs here.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Now I'm curious if blue pike had the pin bones of a modern pike or was the fillet like a walleye. You guys know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts