Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, so I have a few kayaks, a gheenoe, and a tracker fishing boat. I have seen reports of guys who go out walleye fishing in kayaks and small boats on Lake Erie. I live near fairport. My boat isn’t setup for trolling, and to be honest, I’d rather drift and cast anyway. It might just be me, but I suck at catching walleye shallow. What methods are you guys using to put a few walleyes on ice, is it a night time thing? I’m just getting back into conventional fishing, been on a fly fishing only bender for about 10 years. Thanks for the tips.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Use you kayak along the breakwall but far enough away from the shore fisherman.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I kayak out of Ashtabula most often as it's close to where I live but I just went before work last week out of Geneva too. I troll mostly but have played around drifting or casting weight forward spinners this year.

So far this year I haven't marked as many fish in large numbers as last year. I go out about 1.75-2.0 miles to about 48-50 ft. and trolled around for total trip of 5.5 miles and got 3 keepers, some dinks and sheephead. Heard of a kayak fisherman getting full limit out of Walnut Beach (Ashtabula) under 42' of water.

Just watch wind reports, wave reports, and weather reports and know when to pack it in. If lake is calm though no problem getting out to some deeper water and get some nice looks from the boaters out there too!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey gang, so I have a few kayaks, a gheenoe, and a tracker fishing boat. I have seen reports of guys who go out walleye fishing in kayaks and small boats on Lake Erie. I live near fairport. My boat isn’t setup for trolling, and to be honest, I’d rather drift and cast anyway. It might just be me, but I suck at catching walleye shallow. What methods are you guys using to put a few walleyes on ice, is it a night time thing? I’m just getting back into conventional fishing, been on a fly fishing only bender for about 10 years. Thanks for the tips.
kayak fishing on lake erie even on a calm weather/water day can still be risky, especially if you are by yourself. My Buddy has a hobie Pro angler, know to be a very stable kayak, but still managed to flip it on a day with waves less than a foot. Seems he was leaning over to net a fish when a larger boat drifting near him decided to move and threw out a large wake as he was trying to quickly get up on plane. The wake hit him broadside as he was leaning over. You can guess what happened. SO don't let calm water lull you into a false sense of security if you're on the big lake in a yak. Also, fishing with a buddy is best.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’m new to kayak fishing and am the only one of my buddies to move from a boat to a kayak. Anyone know of any groups that go out on Erie? Safety in numbers!

·
Registered
23 Posts
kayak fishing on lake erie even on a calm weather/water day can still be risky, especially if you are by yourself. My Buddy has a hobie Pro angler, know to be a very stable kayak, but still managed to flip it on a day with waves less than a foot. Seems he was leaning over to net a fish when a larger boat drifting near him decided to move and threw out a large wake as he was trying to quickly get up on plane. The wake hit him broadside as he was leaning over. You can guess what happened. SO don't let calm water lull you into a false sense of security if you're on the big lake in a yak. Also, fishing with a buddy is best.
Agree 100%. Why I look at all three (weather, wind, wave reports, lake cams) and still will go to lake and make determination if I will send off or not. Wish I had a SOT yak so I felt a little more comfortable if I was to take a spill but haven't yet. Big thing is being aware of surroundings and other boaters. So far haven't really had any close calls but I fly a pretty high flag I made and use my paddles when I see a boat approaching just to be on the safe side. I usually fly solo since I don't have anyone I know who likes to yak fish the big lake but would be more than willing to tag along with others who are interested. Waiting for this heat to die down a bit first!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I fish Geneva and Bula all the time in my YAk! I use weight forward spinners as I'm drifting around out there but i always run a Flicker shad ( with a bottom bouncer or in-line weight ) when I am moving. the fish have been deep this year (until last week) so I have been going out on the big boat with a friend. I got 3 off Walnut beach ( Bula ) on the 4th and my brother got 6 on Monday or Tuesday. He has a motor on his so he got them trolling.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Try and fish with at least one other yakker and wear bright colored clothing(orange or lime green), an orange life vest or hat at least. Troll or drift cast, watch the weather and have fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I fish Geneva and Bula all the time in my YAk! I use weight forward spinners as I'm drifting around out there but i always run a Flicker shad ( with a bottom bouncer or in-line weight ) when I am moving. the fish have been deep this year (until last week) so I have been going out on the big boat with a friend. I got 3 off Walnut beach ( Bula ) on the 4th and my brother got 6 on Monday or Tuesday. He has a motor on his so he got them trolling.
I usually go off Lakeshore park as I've never had any luck yet out of Walnut but I might give that a try here again. Don't mind going out to 40+ foot of water if waves are good but if I don't have to go 1+ miles out to find them I'd be happy.

I got 3 keepers off Geneva trolling the one day from 50ft to 28 ft. Usually troll by paddling (5.5 mile total that day) which is some work out so if I can cast/drift if I start marking more fish will give that a go. Haven't gotten a full limit yet or fish Ohio so hoping to accomplish that. Got 27.5" eye trolling Bula river for steelhead last fall just past the second lift bridge. Was surprised to say the least. Haven't seen any other yakers fishing the dozen or so times I've been out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've tried Lake Shore a couple times but it is always so busy there. I live in the Harbor so I can pop into the lake and back out anytime of the day. I've only gone 1 time this year and 2 times at Lake shore for smallmouth. Have you gotten any walleye in the bubble this year? I tried it for smallies but I struck out.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
He is okay, correct? The "guess what happened" had me concerned. Sometimes the heavier kayaks are harder to roll over once upside-down.

·
Bud n Burgers
2,542 Posts
As a power boater please let me recommend that if you are going any distance off shore please fly a very visible flag. We ran our boat from Ashtabula to Huron a few weeks back and near Fairport we encountered a kayaker that was a couple miles out in a blue/green yak with nothing about him that made him stand out, at all. I pay pretty close attention, and have a pretty advantageous fly bridge seat view, but was pretty close to him before I picked him up and my first thought was 'holy crap is that risky'. You guys have every right to be out there as I do, I have zero issue with that, just please be careful and don't get crushed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've tried Lake Shore a couple times but it is always so busy there. I live in the Harbor so I can pop into the lake and back out anytime of the day. I've only gone 1 time this year and 2 times at Lake shore for smallmouth. Have you gotten any walleye in the bubble this year? I tried it for smallies but I struck out.
Maybe...what is the bubble though?

Usually when I go out of lake shore I go of the east part of the beach then kayak out straight til I hit deep enough to start trolling and usually work my way towards harbor mouth.

·
Time to fish!
4,989 Posts
Its 1.8 from the beach to the breakwall in Fairport. I flatline #5 flickershads. Blue and chrome has been best. Heard of some people casting harnesses and getting them. Got a couple each time I went out. Not a limit yet. Mixed bag of a little of everything. Geting small walleye or 20+ inchers.
Fish Fish Bass Fishing Barramundi

·
Registered
101 Posts
As a power boater please let me recommend that if you are going any distance off shore please fly a very visible flag. We ran out boat from Ashtabula to Huron a few weeks back and near Fairport we encountered a kayaker that was a couple miles out in a blue/green yak with nothing about him that made him stand out, at all. I pay pretty close attention, and have a pretty advantageous fly bridge seat view, but was pretty close to him before I picked him and my first thought was 'holy crap is that risky'. You guys have every right to be out there as I do, I have zero issue with that, just please be careful and don't get crushed.
couldn't agree more. I let one of my buddies have it when he showed up with a green kayak, no flag and a stone colored life vest. I asked if he was trying to be invisible to power boaters and I reminded him there is a reason planer boards are orange or yellow and it's not because fish prefer those colors

·
Registered
101 Posts
He is okay, correct? The "guess what happened" had me concerned. Sometimes the heavier kayaks are harder to roll over once upside-down.
he's fine. got some help from a nearby power boater but he said it was quite a chore getting the yak upright.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts