Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am new to steel head and just bought some waders . I have a boat and fish for walleye and perch and sheephead and whatever is fun to catch. well I am new to river fishing. I read up on steelhead and see I am a lil late into the season! I grabbed up some mepps gold and silver spinners size 2 to 0 on sale at gander mountain beacuse i read they r great for trout. I do not know how to fly fish plus and also read about spawn sacks. my cousins try to catch trout but can't seem to get one in. I am always up for a challenge so I see these trout are hard to catch and I just can't wait to try. but first i need to research.. we will prolly fish the vermilion river or black river. my buddy even has a lil creek with some in there! but they never seem to bite.. i have read about riffles runs and pools and I am really geared up to try this! any advice? I was gonna use the gold mepps spinner unless is sunny and clear then i will use a silver mepps. also i have 10 pound test for lake fishing. should i grab up the 6 pound like i read or will this have no diference? also do u use a leader or swivel snap on your line? i read that u need a swivel snap on a spinner or else your line will tangle but i heard not to use a swivel snap? whats the truth? help me out i got 3 poles and i already got the mepps so i will change one pole to 6 pound test if its better. any advice is appreciated. I also will use my waders for bass this summer

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Might want to look further down the list and find the "Favorite species" list. Within that section is an entire area dedicated to steelhead. There is a ton of info there that will help you out.

Good luck.

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i noticed that now thnx!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
In addition to walleye, I'm an avid river rat for steelies !!
You have much to learn grasshopper, but the fun is in the quest and the first catch. Here's another good site: http://www.steelheadsite.com

Dave at Dave's bait in Vermilion is an ""EXCELLENT, excellent"" source of info and supplies for river steelheading. It may also be worth it to pay a guide for a quick lesson in "all" there is to learn.

Due to a hand injury and sensitivity to cold, I have to wait til the temps rise ohterwise I'd offer to give ya a lesson "yesterday and tomorrow" !!!!!! There's still a solid month of great action to be had in the rivers.

GR

·
Registered
371 Posts
i wouldn't take too much you hear on steelheadsite.com to heart. that place has really gone down hill. used to be a great resource but now its just a handful of people that all belong to an elite centerpin crew and trash talk everyone else. the best advise i can give you is to get out there as much as possible and talk to people. the more experience you get on the water the more you learn period. its pretty late to get them on anything other than a fly rod. they are in the extreme shallows setting up on redds (nests) right now. i would gather as much info as possible and have at em next fall. if you are clsoe to the sheffield area hit up erie outfitters. craig is a great guy and he will set you up with what you need. i have never been in daves bait but i hear he is a good resource as well.

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx for the tips!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts