Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a deep vee 17 1/2 foot boat (Lowe FS175) that I have used a lot in the Les Cheneaux islands in Lake Huron which is mostly protected water. I'd like to take it up to Lake Erie sometime in the next few weeks. Is there any place there that would be both safe for a boat that size and have some kind of fish biting? If so, where should I go, and what kind of fish should I go after? My preference for fish would be walleye, smallmouth, perch - in that order.

BTW, I live in the Dayton area, so I would be going up I75.

·
Registered
280 Posts
if the forecast says 1-3's you'll be fine...i'm not extremely familiar with the public launches on that side but im sure you can find the info you need. i have the same boat and will go out 17 miles if the weather looks good

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Hello,

I have a deep vee 17 1/2 foot boat (Lowe FS175) that I have used a lot in the Les Cheneaux islands in Lake Huron which is mostly protected water. I'd like to take it up to Lake Erie sometime in the next few weeks. Is there any place there that would be both safe for a boat that size and have some kind of fish biting? If so, where should I go, and what kind of fish should I go after? My preference for fish would be walleye, smallmouth, perch - in that order.

BTW, I live in the Dayton area, so I would be going up I75.
Dan,
Pull up Happy Hookers website, Capt Dave puts out a fishing report almost daily. Plus you can stop by his bait shop and they will give you a update before you launch. Close to Turtle Creek and Fenwick Launches.
Ron

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have an 18 foot Lund and go into 1-3 waves with no problem (although it is much more pleasant with 2 feet or less).....

·
Registered
152 Posts
We typically fish the east central basin of erie, around the OH/PA line, and there are times we can take out out little 16' boat. Just this last weekend out of Ashtabula several little boats were getting walleyes right outside the breakwall. Sometimes it's the same with perch, the hard part is being there at the right time when they move in near shore, which is hard to do when you have a long travel distance. Growing up, on slow days when we couldn't get walleye to bite, Dad would troll nearshore (less than a mile out) for smallmouth to keep us catching fish. In NE Ohio, particularly Conneaut, in October/November (depending on water temp & rain) you get the first steelhead runs, and can troll outside/inside the harbor as well as up the river in a small boat. Actually you have to have a small boat to get up the river because of the low rail bridge at the port facilities.
Typically the biggest consideration will be wind direction, if it originates from the shore where you put out you will have reasonably calm waters.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I used an old 18 ft aluminum Cherokee boat that I found setting under a tree in Kentucky and bought and somewhat restored it and used it for about 15 + yrs. during those yrs we watched the weather and knock on wood but we never got run off the lake. and don't think 3 ft waves are a picnic I liked 2 ft or less much better but have fished many times in 3 ft waves. and before I found that old Cherokee boat we did a lot of fishing in a couple of old 16 ft deep v boats and we really watched the weather in those 16' boats.

just don't try being macho. if they give 3 ft waves and you get out there and you have bigger waves then call it quits and wait for better weather. I have been out many times in the boat I have now and they were forecasting 2 to 3 ft waves and I would swear there was some 4 to 5 fters mixed in. but then I think they measure waves different than what I do, LOL.

just be careful and keep a close watch on what the lakes doing and you'll be ok in that boat. your going to like 2 ft or less much better than 2,s to 3,s. have all your safety gear and have a good anchor with enough rope to reach the bottom 3 times. if your fishing the western basin 100' of rope is plenty if your fishing the central basin where the water can be as deep as 74 to 75 ft then you need at least 225 ft of rope to anchor safely. and have towing insurance it doesn't cost that much and just the peace of mind is worth the cost. you just never know when of if you will brake down. sometimes its just the simplest things that can cause you to be stranded.

the 1st time we had to be towed the air adjustment screw came loose and lost all of our gas and we had to be towed. then we had a fan belt brake and we were towed. then a water line came off and smoked our rubber bellows on our exhaust and we had to be towed. then the oil line for our remote oil filter came loose and lost our oil, and we had to have someone bring us oil. I didn't have towing insurance on any of these times but was blessed enough that other fisherman came to our rescue. but you cant always be that lucky. I now have boatus towing insurance. it costs me less than 100.00 per year and that includes trailering insurance as well. good luck be safe and have fun.
sherman

·
Registered
458 Posts
if the forecast says 1-3's you'll be fine...i'm not extremely familiar with the public launches on that side but im sure you can find the info you need. i have the same boat and will go out 17 miles if the weather looks good
THIS IS NOT GOOD ADVICE...... the forecast is wrong mostly. look at the lake cams and make some phone calls to the launches before you travel.

·
5,997 Posts
THIS IS NOT GOOD ADVICE...... the forecast is wrong mostly. look at the lake cams and make some phone calls to the launches before you travel.
Not bad advise. Even looking at a cam or calling for reports can be bad too! Follow the reports with self judgement of wind conditions. 2 or less should be good. But if the wind says 15 or better stay home. We go with 3 or less in my 19.6 and stay home when winds 15 usually. NO ONE can tell you what weather you can handle. Start small and work to where YOU'RE comfortable. Boat doesn't mean as much as the captain! Good Luck and Stay safe. Conny is a good place to visit. If to rough on the lake stay in the large harbor and fish there in safety.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Maybe I am too cautious. I have 18'-6" Lund SportAngler deep V aluminum. I also have 2 hour drive. I found if NOAA forecast for more the 1-2s, I don't want to be on the lake. I have come in when they came up to 3s with a 4 mixed in. These would crash over the bow unless quartered.

Wave measurement NOAA uses is average amplitude, that is the average height from the mean line. To get the peak to trough, just double it. So NOAA 2 footers look like 4 ft when you are in the trough and they are breaking over your bow.

The boat handles these easily, but I can't fish it.

Don't turn your stern to the big waves, and don't shut off the main engine before you get you kicker started to troll if you have 2 motors. There were 3 boats I know of last year stopped big motor to start the kicker, or it died, and took a wave over the stern, 2 more waves and the boat was swamped and they needed help! No time to put on life jackets when this happens. Maybe I am a worry wart, but I don't want to end up in the water, thinking, gee how did this happen so quick? Should put on the life jacket!

You can get in some sheltered places if you pick where wind is coming over land.

Just plan, be careful, and don't take unnecessary risks. Fish aren't worth it.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I"ve got a Lowe 165FM with a 50hsp on it. Just have to pick your days for boats your size. I've traveled Erie many miles with it. 1-3s are fine at times. Been stuck in 4-6s, not fun and very wet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks.

If I put in at Port Clinton and then headed northwest along the shore line, would that be protected from the westerly wind and safe? If so, would there be any decent fishing along there?

Or, if I put in somewhere between East Harbor State Park and Huron and then stayed close to that shoreline, would that be calm and safe? If so, would there fish to catch along there?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Northwest of port Clinton will put you near the camp perry shooting range you would need to be careful where you go. North winds are tuff any where you fish in a boat your sizes on this side of the lake. If you have south wind or light wind from any direction look up cranberry creek marina you can travel less than 1 mile from the marina by boat and you will be on good walleye fishing. If your looking for perch same wind you could go out of Huron river and fish around the red and green channel cans just to the north of the light house.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Great info ill be taking my 17'6 fter deep v here soon as well got a 60 main an 9.9 kicker. Same game plan on weater etc. looking to get on some perch an will be launching same areas u are thinkn. I'm out of central oh so the 2+ hr drive ill be making my mind b4 I commit

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw on another post, someone mentioned putting in at Mazurik. Any thoughts on that?

Part of my challenge is that due to a 3 hour drive, I almost need to come up the night before to make it worthwhile. That makes it tough for figuring out the weather.

·
Registered
927 Posts
There are nice walleye marks in close to shore 20 fow from the Huron river down to the castle. That is a great place to fish in any form of a south wind. We pulled 7 walleye and lost another one or two in an hour and a half after perch fishing today. Get close to Cranberry creek marina and watch the path the other boats are trolling and you will find plenty of walleye.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ran RR green flash 45 back on one side and dipsys 3.5 at 25 back on the other side green perch color harness.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
500 Posts
When do you think the lake will start clearing up for a boat about that size, I've jus been looking an gettin a feel for weather systems etc an keepin tabs in NOAA. I have a 17'6 deep v as well, pushed by a merc 60 an 9.9 kicker Planning on tryin a trip up from north central oh to get on some perch. Dude I bought it off of said he would have it up there a couple weekends a summer. I'd only plan if its 1s-2 forecasted , but I know what that lake a whip up in a heartbeat. Plan would be to stay with reasonable distance of launch etc in case. I'm itchin to get her up there. guy i know has a big boat docked up there but work schedule has it hard to get up there. Thing I love about this site is the knowledge I've gained for all outdoor venture

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 20 of 23 Posts