close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lake Cumberland

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by amazing189, Sep 7, 2004.

1. amazing189

amazing189 Member

Hi all,
    My wife and I are heading down to Lake Cumberland Friday for a few days. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to fishing this body of water. We've only been there once before. We will have a pontoon for one of the days, and shorebound the remainder. Can anyone give me some pointers? I've read that there are nice stripers in there, but don't even know where to begin (bait, rigging, areas, etc.). We are staying at Woodson Bend in Bronston, which I believe is near Burnside Marina. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Danny

2. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

I dont know alot about the area even though I used to go there when i was a kid about 5 times a year. My buddy from work has a good friend down there that is a striper guide and I know in september you can catch striper from the shore fishing with shad on the bottom. But my buddy says it may still be alittle hot for that. Usually they fish on the bottom in late september. They usually target shore area real close to allifator dock 2. Hope this helps. I know I have seen them catch some nice 20 plus pound striper bottom fishing in september

3. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

hi amazing189 -
    i've been to Woodson Bend resort a few times and i've never had much luck at Cumberland fishing. But i can offer this. One night my dad and i came in from "casting practice" for bass and there was a local at Burnside ramp/marina area fishing a black rubber worm with blue flake and said he was nailing smallmouth. i wondered out loud about fishing around the marina/ramps and he said he knew someone. i guess if you can go in the middle of the night when no-ones around... maybe worth a shot. also, if i remember right, there is rented dockspace at Woodson Bend.... i cant remember how to get down to it though... i just remember the looonnngggg flight of steps to get back up to the top. might wanna check these out. :cool:

4. amazing189

amazing189 Member

Thanks, guys. I will "investigate" & let you know Tuesday if I do any good. I'm still open for hints / suggestions, if ayone else out there has any! :)
    Thanks again,
    Danny

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

This lake is very difficult to fish for stripers if you have no knowledge about their patterns. I would suggest hiring a guide if possible. I'm pretty sure it's about the time of year were the fish are starting to school up once again and are constantly on the move. Most people will either troll the main lake over the river bed with downriggers or slow troll with an electric. If they find a large school of fish, they'll use the down rod method. If you can find a school of fish stay right over top of them with your electric. Live bait is a must and will be very exspensive at the marina's on the lake if they even have it. You can always net your own in the back of most creeks but it's a lot of work and has to be done early in the a.m. (2-3 o'clock). Mostly alewives, threadfin and gizzard shad are the bait of choice. White buck tail jigs can be casted and retrieved/jigged too. Hope this helps

6. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

stripersd are tough in september. they are very deep usually 50-70 ft. float over main channel with 1oz lead, baited with shad or shiners. better yet fish at night with topwaters, black plastic worms etc... for bass., also put out a floating light near a point over deep water, drop shiners at various depths and hope for walleye. the light attracts shad when in turn atrracts wallys bass and stripes. fishing at night is going to be far more productive than daylight fishing. if you have to fish daytime use dark colred tubes on points in at least 20 ft down.

7. striperfreak is pretty much right on the money with his advice. however, some of the stripers are coming a little shallower on the eastern end of the lake. check out fishcumberland.com for more info. on stripers.

my parents have a condo at woodson bend and keep a boat at burnside marina. pm me if you want more details on the area or other tips. i was down a couple weeks ago and got a few walleye and throwback stripers.

good luck!

8. Tilesetter

Tilesetter GET THE NET

I have had the most luck catching them on live shad off of the main lake down near the dam areas. Of course that is a long ride from where you are going to stay. I found that when the water temps and level are changing rapidly fish early am and late evening. If you can get your hands on a good lake structure map or have a depth finder to use it will help. I try to find the flats coming up from deeper water. Stripers will come up from cooler water to feed on shad which are closer to the surface. Beware striper's get angry when you hook them and will head for the bush fast. Good luck getting them back out. Most of the guides and dock personel usually don't mind giving a few pointers either.

9. I went and stayed on a housebaot for a week about seven years back. Did not catch any stripers but did catch some nice bass and a lot of hand size blue gill. I was not very impressed with the fishing, but it is a big lake that i did not know. Plus i was only about 13 years old so i didnot know much.

10. amazing189

amazing189 Member

Thank you all for the tips. We had a great time. No stripers, but caught quite a few smallies and spotted bass. Next time I think I'll hire a guide.
    Thanks again,
    Danny