Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in lake county and have been looking forward to getting into both cast fishing and bow fishing in the area. Seeing how Cleveland Metro-parks areas are off limits to bow fishing, does anyone know of any places to bow fish or cast fish in Lake County? Please specify which one you are referring to, thanks!

·
Enjigneer
1,370 Posts
I think you're pretty much sh*t out of luck bowfishing in the county of Lake. A few years ago I would hide out under the Rt 2 bridge over the Chagrin and shoot carp in the spring, but I don't recommend it. Willoughby has an ordinance against "projectiles". I also went down to the 55th Street pier and marina and shot carp, but I attracted too much attention from folks following me around wanting the fish. Neff Rd (Wildwood) has lots of carp in the spring too, a coworker of mine used to go there shooting carp and never seemed to have a problem, but I don't know how legal it is. I suggest you go to Mosquito or Pyma (north end) for bowfishing.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I agree mosquito or pyma for bow as far as rod and reel it depends what u are targeting the rivers are great for smallies cats and soon steelies but ur gonna have to find your spots Nobody is gonna give up a honey hole and that is fine go out walk around the rivers and experiment u can find public access points from lake metroparks good luch have fun

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Enjigneer
1,370 Posts
I just thought of this: Don's Archery Shop and Range in Willowick used to have a carp bowfishing contest. I don't know if they still do the contest, but I'm pretty sure they sell fish points, reels, etc. They might be of some help in directing a customer to spots.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Am I gunna be ok bowfishing from shore on those suggested lakes? and I'm not looking for honeyholes, I'm an avid fisher in Wyoming, but I just need some starting tips for local areas. Also, I checked out Neff Rd just today, it looks promising.

·
Enjigneer
1,370 Posts
Actually, since Wildwood is state property bowfishing might be OK. You should probably verify this for yourself, but I think it's ok with a bow from shore at Mosquito as well as at Pymatuning, on the Ohio side with Ohio license.

In June I was at the state launch on Rt 88 when I saw a guy launching a sweet bowfishing deckboat with lights, bow cradles, etc. Wonder if he's on this site?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Grand River covers a large stretch through Lake County with varying fish habitat throughout the lower stretch to the lake. Plenty of access points provided by Lake MetroParks and also check Vrooman Road and Indian Point Park in Perry/Painesville for easy access to the river for wading.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info so far.
I was wondering if anyone's hit up Punderson recently, and if so how'd they fare?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts